ORD pre-flight dining in lieu of F lounge

Old Aug 2, 22, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
ORD pre-flight dining in lieu of F lounge

Have been reading alarming threads about the state of ORD at present (Terminal 5)

My brother is booked to fly back to UK on BA294 (17:05 departure) in a few weeks time. Booked in F but there's no longer a First lounge or First dining it seems.

Some questions for those who may have been through there recently:

1) Is there any decent F/CW pre-flight dining worth having?
2) Considering the 17:05 takeoff and 7hr 45m flight, better just to eat on board assuing a - hopefully - fast service and then sleep?
3) Is there any other decent eateries in Terminal 5? Places like R J Grunts would do hearty burger/chips but reviews aren't good at all....

He'll be connecting from AA IND-ORD from Terminal 3, so he could eat somewhere there however with the issues with terminal transfers I think my recommendation to him would be to transfer in good time. Just a shame he can't use the Flagship Lounge in Terminal 3 after he arrives......

Any advice appreciated.
Old Aug 2, 22, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I though Flagship Lounge & Dining had restarted at ORD ?

Flagship Lounge

Flagship Lounges are open at these airports:
  • Chicago (ORD)
  • Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW)
  • Los Angeles (LAX)
  • MIA
  • New York Kennedy (JFK)
Flagship Lounges at these airports remain temporarily closed. Flagship Lounge eligible customers are welcome to use the nearby Admirals Club in each location.

London Heathrow (LHR) – International First Class Lounge

Changes at clubs and lounges − Travel information − American Airlines (aa.com)
Old Aug 2, 22, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC
I just flew through ORD last week. Check in and security was surprisingly fast. The lounge is pretty miserable (no windows), and quite busy (this was for the late 789, so I imagine for the earlier 380 flight, the lounge would be rammed).

There was just a choice of a cheese burger or penne pasta from the menu, plus a salad. Drinks can also be ordered on the app.

Didn't see many eateries airside, but I wasn't really paying much attention.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
As he'll be coming in on AA, he'll have access to the American Flagship First Lounge in T3.
If there's enough time, he can just eat there before heading over to T5.
Old Aug 2, 22, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chiller3333 View Post
As he'll be coming in on AA, he'll have access to the American Flagship First Lounge in T3.
If there's enough time, he can just eat there before heading over to T5.
I was wondering if that was the case, which is a pleasant option if he wanted to eat early.

He's arriving as a 'Domestic' passenger airside then into T3 and will need to take the Airport Transit System (ATS) which is landside to get to T5, then go through security again. I assumed that the availability of a lounge in T5 would preclude the use of the T3 lounge.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
He can still use the T3 flagship lounge. He just needs to leave enough time to get over to T5 and clear security there. Even if he was originating at ORD, he could use his same day ORD boarding pass to go to T3, use the lounge, then go back to T5.
David_Doyle, _kurt and GUWonder like this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
If he was originating at ORD with BA, thus departing from T5, wouldn't he need a T3 boarding pass to get in the Flagship Lounge?

Honest question, as I'm doing ORD-LHR in F quite a lot, and if it's possible to visit the flagship lounge instead of that miserable room in T5.. Yes please.
David_Doyle likes this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 10:21 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by RTheys View Post
If he was originating at ORD with BA, thus departing from T5, wouldn't he need a T3 boarding pass to get in the Flagship Lounge?

Honest question, as I'm doing ORD-LHR in F quite a lot, and if it's possible to visit the flagship lounge instead of that miserable room in T5.. Yes please.
You can go through security into T3 with a T5 boarding pass and with the ATS back running the land side transfer is quite efficient. So even if you have to check in at T5, go to T3, and then return it's not too bad. It would be really nice to have the air side link back though.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 11:08 am
Original Poster

I had a Google earlier and found this great review. I suddenly remembered I had been here once before..... <shudder>

I'm not putting Chicago Terminal 5 on my "Must visit again" list.
Old Aug 2, 22, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

In the US, as long as you have a same day boarding pass departing that airport you can use it to visit any terminal. You just have to be willing to pass through security again. Sometimes it's worth it. Sometimes it isn't.
Old Aug 2, 22, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
We usually fly BA or SAS out of ORD and both have terrible lounges in T5. Last few trips we've given up and just hit the Tortas Frontera which is on the way to the boarding gates (and lounges). Is it F level pre-dining? No, but its pretty tasty, you can sit down with table service, and you don't have to traipse between terminals.

We stopped flying the 5pm BA flight because it just felt so early - you eat dinner early and by the time its normal bed time of 1030 or 11pm you are pretty much to Ireland (especially with a good jetstream push), so you may as well just stay awake/breakfast is starting. Its a difficult flight to time for sleeping if you are a person who doesn't normally sleep well on planes!
becks1 and IMH like this.

Last edited by sondra_finchley; Aug 2, 22 at 11:40 am
Old Aug 2, 22, 11:52 am

Tortas Frontera is great but their ORD T5 location is having some challenges.They are understaffed, their staff are overworked and frustrated, and they sometimes run out of certain items before closing time. So, just like the rest of the world I guess. If they are able to serve you and if you can tolerate the noisy and hectic atmosphere, the quality of F&B will certainly be above that of any T5 lounge.
becks1 and sondra_finchley like this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Tortas Frontera is probably your best bet.

If he has enough time, he can exit to the main terminal and walk to the Hilton O'Hare's restaurant across the street.
Old Aug 2, 22, 1:12 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by _kurt View Post
Tortas Frontera is great but their ORD T5 location is having some challenges.
Where are they located in T5? I only knew about the T3 and T1 locations.
Old Aug 2, 22, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Where are they located in T5? I only knew about the T3 and T1 locations.
Near the BA lounges to give the lounges some competition (between M17 and M18).
Edit: gate numbers have changed.
Edit: their web site says M12, which I originally put, but the terminal is in a state of flux!

Last edited by MADPhil; Aug 2, 22 at 2:08 pm

Search this Thread