Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking about leaving BAEC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:15 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Before jumping ship, I'd be concerned of the "grass is always greener" mindset, something I had until a couple of weeks ago on a Lufthansa/Thai/Swiss Star Alliance itinerary.

My LH flight from BHX was cancelled 10 days ago, leaving my entire 6 segment itinerary in tatters. Despite best efforts, including trying half a dozen other UK airports, the next available option to complete the itinerary was four days later.

When I finally flew out, BHX security was so bad that my flight was delayed an hour because both passengers and ground staff were delayed so baggage couldn't be loaded. In the end the aircraft left without some passengers as a result, however that delay did mean many passengers missed their connections at FRA. Thankfully I had Express Lane privileges at BHX so avoided the horrendous security lines.

The day before my rescheduled itinerary, the entire Lufthansa operation was cancelled due to a strike by ground staff.

Although the on board experience was fine (I was in J & F), almost every other facet was substantially sub-standard, particularly regarding call centres in the event of irrops (such as my cancelled flight), but also airside transfers and check-in, and all of this was due to inexperienced staff.

On the other side of the coin, the really positive facets over BA were airside transfers at FRA and ZRH thanks to travelling in F, the supremely comfortable beds in Swiss F and their lounge day rooms, and, when I finally found the number, Lufthansa's First Class telephone service.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:27 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by ratechaser
That was always my plan - make J travel more affordable in my dotage. But that only works if there are:

1) flights that actually operate reliably
2) redemption availability on said flights
3) a soft/hard J product that is truly good enough compared to the 'competition'
4) a slow down in devaluation through ever increasing 'fees'.

Fair to say, I'm less optimistic than I used to be. But at least I have a Sainsbury in walking distance, so that's my backup plan.
what is your tolerance for flying on Lufthansa J? or Swiss? particularly with ME3 that are very competitive in UK-ME market? can you make 4 flights a year on united? does it have to be abz? can you do edi?
ua mileage plus has good availability in europe
by flying paid j on lufthansa or swiss you can get united 1k or platinum pretty quick but mind the max PQM per flight on other airlines.
avoid lhr
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by onlynik
I have to travel for work, I fly to the Middle East, the company allows us a pretty flexible booking regime, I can get whatever carrier I like to either DOH or DXB, an I fly onwards from there. I normally depart from ABZ, but with the lack of connections, I normally just end up doing ABZ-LHR-DOH, however I’m sick of delays and cancellations out pf LHR, plus transmitting from T5-T4 is a pain. I’ve recently been taking the EDI-DOH flight, but I lose 40 TP doing so. (I have thought about going EDI-HEL-DOH to maximise my TP)

So why do I stay with BAEC - most of my personal flights are to Europe (though I prefer driving and taking the ferry from Newcastle).

What are my options? Are other FF programs better - Flying Blue, I could do ABZ-AMS-DXB, I’ve only transited AMS once recently when the BA systems went down and I have to buy a ticket back toABZ as the agent in LIN couldn’t do it (2 separate tickets)

Do ditch BA and fly LoganAir and go ABZ-MAN-DXB and return via BHX? Do I claim Emirates Skymiles? (I don’t think I’d have a use for them)

Some of you might ask why I disillusioned with BA. There are a number of reasons ABZ flights seem to be cancelled at the slightest whim, the breakfast is better in ABZ paid lounge than the BA lounge. When at LHR the First lounge is very busy, the quality of food and drink is no where near what it used to be. Redemption of Avios is difficult for a family of 4 (should I just spend them at Sainsbury’s?).

Maybe I’m just old and like a moan. I should probably just suck it up and be thankful I’m in J and not Y.
Since the pandemic has ended, I've been flying with BA, KLM, LH/LX, AirBaltic, EasyJet, and Ryanair in a mixture of Y and J. All of them are as bad as each other. LH was the best and KLM are currently racing against BA on who can offer the worst service and most last minute cancellations.

Depending on how close you are to the lifetime TP for Gold, it may be worth sticking it out with BA / OW. But if you're not near, LH/LX has to be the best to switch too but I don't know how easy that is from ABZ.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:47 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by cur
what is your tolerance for flying on Lufthansa J? or Swiss? particularly with ME3 that are very competitive in UK-ME market? can you make 4 flights a year on united? does it have to be abz? can you do edi?
ua mileage plus has good availability in europe
by flying paid j on lufthansa or swiss you can get united 1k or platinum pretty quick but mind the max PQM per flight on other airlines.
avoid lhr
I think you may have me confused with another poster as ABZ and EDI are places that I've never yet needed to fly to!

Personally I'm not flying all that much yet and just about clinging to silver by the skin of my teeth (no different to the last 7 years) - I do however have a gradually increasing Avios stash...
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HeyUpDuck
Since the pandemic has ended, I've been flying with BA, KLM, LH/LX, AirBaltic, EasyJet, and Ryanair in a mixture of Y and J. All of them are as bad as each other. LH was the best and KLM are currently racing against BA on who can offer the worst service and most last minute cancellations.

Depending on how close you are to the lifetime TP for Gold, it may be worth sticking it out with BA / OW. But if you're not near, LH/LX has to be the best to switch too but I don't know how easy that is from ABZ.
I’m about 15000 TP short of lifetime gold. I had a few years away from BA when I was working in the Far East, mainly flying with SQ, but that ended in 2017, and my flying was curtailed until the start of 2020. Sadly none of my flights from 2020 until the beginning of this year earned any TP or Avios. I make about 2500 TP a year. Getting to EDI from ABZ isn’t too difficult, there’s regular trains.

Maybe I’ll just give LHR a miss, keep flying OW but QR out of EDI. I do have a LH flight booked it’s DOH-FRA-EDI, which will be interesting as it’s been a while since I was last on a LH SH flight (They used to fly out of ABZ but that’s all stopped now)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.