Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Removes all Shorthaul from LHR from sale : now to 15 August.

BA Removes all Shorthaul from LHR from sale : now to 15 August.

Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, I've been sent an update note too - what was 8 August is now 15 August, for shorthauld departures from LHR.
It will snowball no doubt as people frantically book last minute tickets (including me at 8am for the bank holiday when i heard the news)
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:16 am

Is this really going to have much of an impact, or is it just window dressing to divert the attention back to LHR? What proportion of their short haul sales are actually made a few days out? I am sure that there are "some" but I would imagine the vast majority are purchased longer out than that?

Having been a victim of their cynical short term cancellations and consolidations on the NCL route, I do have a somewhat jaundiced view of this...
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Surely this is unsustainable for BA - I am currently on the LNER hurtling South instead of a BA flight and quite frankly, it is far more enjoyable. It is on time, comfortable, lovely scenery and no hassle at the start. I am normally a regularly EDI commuter but this is so much more pleasant at the moment, not to mention a lot cheaper - not sure why I would go back!

Regards

aks120
BA1321, Scotair, orbitmic and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yes, I've been sent an update note too - what was 8 August is now 15 August, for shorthauld departures from LHR.
I can see the following happening: "Our staff have been working tremendously hard over the summer holidays but, it's time we gave them some time off! Therefore, we have made the decision to continue the cap on departing passengers until [inset date from sweepstake]"
For me, there will come a point when I will be unable to pass exorbitant prices onto clients!
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
If you are high-end 'bucket and spade' (and I dont mean just heading to Disney with the kiddies for two weeks and forking out mad cash because its Disney), wouldn't you be more inclined to freelance for the best business class deal for your 1, 2 or 3 yearly holidays, rather than tied into BA just because of the FF program? If fewer people are flying business in the future due to less need, or less desire to fork out for corporate contracts, doesn't that blow a big hole in the BA balance sheet? I seem to recall they had a pretty solid lock on a lot of the big travel contracts in London at the very least.

Seeing news reports of BA halting ticket sales, even short term and for a few weeks, doesn't really lend itself to feeling confident for booking with the in the future at ALL, long or short haul. BAEC may have its value, but the actual BA customer experience and product does not.
dajdavies and SavvyTravel like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by aks120
Surely this is unsustainable for BA - I am currently on the LNER hurtling South instead of a BA flight and quite frankly, it is far more enjoyable. It is on time, comfortable, lovely scenery and no hassle at the start. I am normally a regularly EDI commuter but this is so much more pleasant at the moment, not to mention a lot cheaper - not sure why I would go back!

Regards

aks120
The train is more comfortable in First, but not in Standard. It's true the legroom is better but the Standard Class seats are cheap junk designed for regional trains and four hours on them is horrible. Next to zero padding.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC
I know people are frustrated and have suffered because of all the cancellations and limited flight options. But on a selfish and personal level, this has tended to work to my benefit. I don't take holidays during high season, and I've not had to transfer LHR. Most of my trips the last few months have been SH to Europe. I am usually able to book reasonably far in advance. I'm not super fussy about exactly when I leave. If I can get a RT in CE for 200 odd (vs 600 for better timings) then I'll take it even if it's at slightly inconvenient times. And without fail, the last few months I've either had a cancellation or the red "expected disruption warning of doom", either of which allow me to rebook up until the last minute. Saved my a$$ a couple of weeks ago when I skipped town to miss the worst of the heat wave.
Bohinjska Bistrica likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'd be curious to know what's the % of people who buy tickets within 2 weeks of travel, and what is the % of a flight income which is paid within the last 2 weeks.

From what I see, it is also the case that the block is only on Y, not on C? I find that a bit strange...
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic
From what I see, it is also the case that the block is only on Y, not on C? I find that a bit strange...
The block is both Club and Traveller cabins. Even if you see something online, it won't be ticketed.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The block is both Club and Traveller cabins. Even if you see something online, it won't be ticketed.
Thanks - and is it only on o/d or does it apply to shorthaul segments as part of long haul itineraries?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley
If you are high-end 'bucket and spade' (and I dont mean just heading to Disney with the kiddies for two weeks and forking out mad cash because its Disney), wouldn't you be more inclined to freelance for the best business class deal for your 1, 2 or 3 yearly holidays, rather than tied into BA just because of the FF program? If fewer people are flying business in the future due to less need, or less desire to fork out for corporate contracts, doesn't that blow a big hole in the BA balance sheet? I seem to recall they had a pretty solid lock on a lot of the big travel contracts in London at the very least.

Seeing news reports of BA halting ticket sales, even short term and for a few weeks, doesn't really lend itself to feeling confident for booking with the in the future at ALL, long or short haul. BAEC may have its value, but the actual BA customer experience and product does not.

oh dear, I am now defined as "bucket and spade" can we have a separate category for the over 55s please.
bafan likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:53 am
Original Member

Regards

aks120
apart from the minor issue of strikes at the moment
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Makes you wonder if it isn't better to bite the bullet now for all of August.

BA must, surely, be above its daily passenger cap for the August bank holiday weekend. The week before that will still be busy with family holidays because you can still get a decent break in before the kids go back (we're not going away until 25th August). Pull the plug and be done ....
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by Tim_T
apart from the minor issue of strikes at the moment
Yeah but at least they give you advanced notice - just removing flights like BA are doing (at the behest of Heathrow of course) is just ridiculous. I am now sat in a nearly empty carriage from York - having travelled down from Perth to York in First and York onwards in economy. No issues - early into each station - sandwich in F was really tasty.. I could go on! I am a complete BA geek but enough is enough. My last couple of long hauls have been very poor, dirty aircraft and average cabin crew. London City was better and I am trying Gatwick this weekend!

I will retain GGL next year through flying (no requirement for any further extensions and I agree with KARFA in the other thread - continuing to extend is unsustainable too as it is possible to get status by travelling). I am going to have a long think about the following year though if this carries on much longer. The COVID excuse is running very thin!

Regards

aks120
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton

Regards

aks120
and, in my experience, on-board staff are very proactive at coming through the train at least every time it stops at a station to offer more drinks and extra food. They dont behind hide behind a little curtain hoping the passengers are not demanding. 😜
DYKWIA and Ramos like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.