Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Removes all Shorthaul from LHR from sale : now to 15 August.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Removes all Shorthaul from LHR from sale : now to 15 August.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:26 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by KARFA
I appreciate your point, but I am afraid some areas in the world will be inaccessible for a long time (e.g. China & HK), some route are not coming back for a while for commercial reasons (e.g. BKK, KUL etc.), and I suspect prices may remain higher than they were pre covid for a while as demand outstrips supply. I don't see any of these being reasons BA should offer extensions.
"Commercial reasons": Thailand's been open for a month now, just a negative PCR or vax certficate required. I was there over this last weekend, 5* hotels and M* restaurants in BKK are almost empty, with plenty of bargains and dining opportunities to be had as a result.

But I agree, other than a few exceptions, SE Asia is still a bit of a no-go area. And if you're British or Canadian, India's not an easy option either as both countries are noticeable by their absences on the eVisa system.
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by 13901
Well, it's been a while since I looked at China's airline setup in detail but I seem to remember that the various hubs (PEK, CAN, PVG and to a lesser extent Chengdu, Xi'an and others) are sort of divvied up between the various big players. I might be wrong, but Air China seems to me to be focussing on PEK, Southern on Guanzhou, Eastern on PVG and so on. Had the UK been as big I guess we could have London Airways over at LHR, FakeTan Airlines at Gatwick, Jocks Aloft in Glasgow, Geordie Airways at NCL, Brummies Worldwide in BHX and the Scousers would be stealing Mancunian Airways' wheels overnight.

Now, can you lend me that flame proof suit of yours?
Fake Tan Airways at Gatwick. Literally spat out my tea laughing at that one.
Erwin10 and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1P

It would be really good to fly with BA, but at the moment I can't see myself taking that option. This latest news about short-haul flights until 8 August is bad news. No doubt it will be extended. In fact it's probably for the best, given that BA can't even maintain its current operation in any coherent form. Is another change at the top due?
Makes perfect sense to fly with the airline that can provide you with what you want.

As for BA changing the man at the top? Sorry, but that's just OTT when the airline are also at the mercy of how LHR is being run.

Last edited by HIDDY; Aug 1, 2022 at 7:17 pm
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Howard Long
"Commercial reasons": Thailand's been open for a month now, just a negative PCR or vax certficate required. I was there over this last weekend, 5* hotels and M* restaurants in BKK are almost empty, with plenty of bargains and dining opportunities to be had as a result.

But I agree, other than a few exceptions, SE Asia is still a bit of a no-go area. And if you're British or Canadian, India's not an easy option either as both countries are noticeable by their absences on the eVisa system.
I am in Bali where it is the start of high season. Most hotels are about 50% but there are few bargains at the top end. Flights to DPS (leisure premium) have never been higher with QR especially pricey ex EU and LHR.

I am only here because BA moved my flights to QR and my room was booked last October when Bali was closed. Much as I adore both Bali and this resort, I would not pay the fares and rates currently being demanded. There is clearly a drive to recover covid losses but I am not sure the current model to do so will work longer term
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
I see the BBC have eventually picked up on this situation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62386909

BA seems to be putting the blame on the Heathrow imposed passenger cap. Quote from article -: ''The move is due to the cap on daily passenger numbers that the UK's largest airport has imposed over the summer''.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'm looking to get to HAM from MAN in August and BA is sending me to Inverness to connect to their LHR service to then connect to HAM. I get to do this for nearly GBP600.- weird sort of rationing Heathrow seats by encouraging more unnecessary flying.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I'm trying to log in to my BA account, but the system won't let me, it just endlessly loops back to the login page.

Is this part of BA's strategy to stop me making a booking, I wonder?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 12:49 am

It’s not about spending money

Originally Posted by KARFA
Up until last week there have been plenty of opportunities to travel late last year and early this year, and I am sure there will be after this temporary short restriction. At some point you need to stop relying on extensions and put your hand in your pocket to book something if you want to retain status, you know like we did before we had covid

At the end of the day the greatest impact of this restriction is for those who tend to need to book very short notice travel.
It’s not about putting our hands in our pockets! That’s the easy part, no one wants a terrible experience due to inadequately staffed services!
Howard Long likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 12:57 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Grace B
I'm trying to log in to my BA account, but the system won't let me, it just endlessly loops back to the login page.

Is this part of BA's strategy to stop me making a booking, I wonder?
I'm looking at a price of 1k in economy to get to the south of France over the Bank Holiday weekend. That would certainly put me off. Hopefully I can use avios instead for it.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by binman
I am in Bali where it is the start of high season. Most hotels are about 50% but there are few bargains at the top end. Flights to DPS (leisure premium) have never been higher with QR especially pricey ex EU and LHR.

I am only here because BA moved my flights to QR and my room was booked last October when Bali was closed. Much as I adore both Bali and this resort, I would not pay the fares and rates currently being demanded. There is clearly a drive to recover covid losses but I am not sure the current model to do so will work longer term
I have a holiday (Bali / Thailand coming up in October). Ex EU with QR to DPS was about double the cost of the flight I booked to CGK (with short hop onto DPS).

Flights were about Ł200 - Ł300 more than normal, but hotels are a lot cheaper. Overall I guess it's swings and roundabouts, with the total cost being about the same as my last trip pre-covid.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
I'm looking to get to HAM from MAN in August and BA is sending me to Inverness to connect to their LHR service to then connect to HAM. I get to do this for nearly GBP600.- weird sort of rationing Heathrow seats by encouraging more unnecessary flying.
Nice to get the extra tier points, although at that cost per point it doesn’t qualify as a great tier point run!
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by dorsetbluenose
It’s not about putting our hands in our pockets! That’s the easy part, no one wants a terrible experience due to inadequately staffed services!
I had my first trip since March 2020 this last weekend. I concur regarding the "terrible experience due to inadequately staffed services". Apart from on board, almost everything else was substantially substandard due to inadequately trained staff, particularly regarding call centre, check in and transit experiences, and this was everywhere I went: BHX, FRA, DEL, BKK, BOM, ZRH, with BOM holding the torch for the worst transit experience I've ever had by quite a long chalk.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:38 am

so is the no new booking period out to 15th Aug now?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by gw76
so is the no new booking period out to 15th Aug now?
Yes
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, I've been sent an update note too - what was 8 August is now 15 August, for shorthauld departures from LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.