Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any experience of Global Entry interview in Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold

I'm part way through my application for Global Entry (I'm a UK resident) and have been approved pending interview. I'll most likely be visiting Canada much sooner than i'll be in the US, and I've noticed that a number of Canadian airports are included in the list of "Enrollment on arrival" airports, so it appears I SHOULD be able to complete my interview at one of these, rather than having to wait until i'm next in the US. However, I wondered if any of my fellow FT'ers have ever completed their GE via this route or not? I've not been to Canada before, so not familiar with what the customs and immigration set up is like - do they have some US CBP desks there in addition to the usual Canadian ones? Would be coming into Toronto.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't have all the answers here, but in Toronto, if arriving from the UK, I don't think you are going to get access to the CBP, since that's in a separate area. Your route into Toronto would only take you past Canadian immigration officials. The USA pre-clearance locations in Canada have their own pathways through airports. So to take advantage of this then you would need to go to USA or return to the UK via the USA or something similar. I guess you could book a day trip to BOS (etc) whilst you are in Canada.
efincomputer and roberto99 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

There may be more information on this forum ( Trusted Travelers)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/

Regards

TBS

PS: Also some information on location and hours on the cbp website

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...llment-arrival
efincomputer likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jul 31, 2022 at 4:17 am
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't have all the answers here, but in Toronto, if arriving from the UK, I don't think you are going to get access to the CBP, since that's in a separate area. Your route into Toronto would only take you past Canadian immigration officials. The USA pre-clearance locations in Canada have their own pathways through airports. So to take advantage of this then you would need to go to USA or return to the UK via the USA or something similar. I guess you could book a day trip to BOS (etc) whilst you are in Canada.
Thanks CWS, that's the sort of info I was looking for. I might be able to swing it so i return via ORD, so i'm assuming arriving into US from CANADA that wat I should be able to access the relevant CBP desk. Will check out the other forum suggested by TBS. Thanks both.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Are they not still offering interviews via Zoom (or was that just for renewals)?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tdgraves
Are they not still offering interviews via Zoom (or was that just for renewals)?
Nothing offered to me - I did look (as that would have been ideal), but I'm guessing it's only an option for renewals.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CBP is in the transborder terminal and without a ticket to the US you won’t get anywhere near them. The dragons guarding that entrance are fearsome.
efincomputer likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Yes, as CWS says you would have to be going from Canada to the USA and would be able to ask during pre-clearance. I believe this is available at DUB pre-clearance too. I am doing my interview at MIA on arrival hopefully next week.

The trusted traveller board in FT has been tremendously useful for me.
efincomputer likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
I don't know if it's still there, but CBP used to have a landside office at YYZ that you could book interviews at.
efincomputer likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by S_W_S
I don't know if it's still there, but CBP used to have a landside office at YYZ that you could book interviews at.
That is likely for NEXUS not for GE enrollment on arrival. NEXUS center in Canada are closed.
arf04 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by efincomputer
I'm part way through my application for Global Entry (I'm a UK resident) and have been approved pending interview. I'll most likely be visiting Canada much sooner than i'll be in the US, and I've noticed that a number of Canadian airports are included in the list of "Enrollment on arrival" airports, so it appears I SHOULD be able to complete my interview at one of these, rather than having to wait until i'm next in the US. However, I wondered if any of my fellow FT'ers have ever completed their GE via this route or not? I've not been to Canada before, so not familiar with what the customs and immigration set up is like - do they have some US CBP desks there in addition to the usual Canadian ones? Would be coming into Toronto.
Unfortunately there is a dispute between US customs and the Canadian government which means you can only interview in the US and as a result, appointments are almost impossible as some people, Canadians, are booking appointments for US centre's into 2023.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
That is likely for NEXUS not for GE enrollment on arrival. NEXUS center in Canada are closed.
I stand corrected.

It is however still listed on the TTP site, albeit no appointments available - https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/schedulerui/...nal&service=up
Old Jul 31, 2022, 10:14 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by S_W_S
I stand corrected.

It is however still listed on the TTP site, albeit no appointments available - https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/schedulerui/...nal&service=up
You're right. That landside location should also handled GE but it's closed for the foreseeable future until both governments resolve CBP insistence on being able to carry firearms outside of the preclearance section of the airport.

In the interim, it appears enrollment in GE is only taking place in preclearance.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Tdgraves
That was for renewals only.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
I had my GE interview at Vancouver on arrival after clearing immigration and customs but it was back in 2016 so dont know if it has changed much or if Toronto is the same. I was not sure if I was in the right place at the time as there was lots of Nexus labelling but the appointment was correctly registered on their system and I got the status change to approved about 10 minutes after the interview.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.