Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

One standard economy fare and one basic economy fare on same PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:29 am
Original Poster

HeyDoes anyone know if it's possible to book a basic economy fare together with a standard (with suitcase fare? Or to book each separate then merge on to the same booking?
Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No it isn't possible to book both types on the same booking, or merge two separate bookings after.

The best you can do on the latter point is linking bookings and free seat selection across on to the other booking if you are a gold card holder, but you can't do it if the non-status person is on a HBO fare.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
What exactly are you trying to do? There may be other ways around this. Is it, for example, for one person outbound and inbound?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What exactly are you trying to do? There may be other ways around this. Is it, for example, for one person outbound and inbound?
I'm GCH and travelling with one family member. We do need a suitcase each and I understand my 2x32kg only comes into place if I'm not on HBO. But I see no reason to pay more for the family members suitcase when I have allowance of 2 and we each only need 1.

Obviously, we could just book separately and I check in the extra suitcase for free but for the sake of simplicity when BA mess up the booking and priority boarding etc would rather on one booking if it can be done

Edit: KARFA, the seat selection for GCH, does that apply to travellers on other bookings as well or has to be on the same booking?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, KL Gold, LH FTL, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
I'm GCH and travelling with one family member. We do need a suitcase each and I understand my 2x32kg only comes into place if I'm not on HBO. But I see no reason to pay more for the family members suitcase when I have allowance of 2 and we each only need 1.

Obviously, we could just book separately and I check in the extra suitcase for free but for the sake of simplicity when BA mess up the booking and priority boarding etc would rather on one booking if it can be done

Edit: KARFA, the seat selection for GCH, does that apply to travellers on other bookings as well or has to be on the same booking?
  • free seat selection from the time of booking for your whole party on British Airways flights – even friends and family on other bookings, as long as they’re in the same travel class and on the same flight* plus exclusive access to 1A and 1K when travelling in First for the Gold Member only
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thomas PL
  • free seat selection from the time of booking for your whole party on British Airways flights – even friends and family on other bookings, as long as they’re in the same travel class and on the same flight* plus exclusive access to 1A and 1K when travelling in First for the Gold Member only
I'm assuming that if on separate tickets it'll be a whole spiel to do the seat selection. If that's the case then just another reason to have it on the same booking, if it can be done
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:01 am

In terms of doing the calling method to link bookings, this applies to separate bookings (with the caveat I noted). So you on one booking and the non status passenger on the same flight and cabin on another booking.

If you were on the same booking then all passengers on your booking automatically benefit from your status with regards to seat selection.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, KL Gold, LH FTL, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
I'm assuming that if on separate tickets it'll be a whole spiel to do the seat selection. If that's the case then just another reason to have it on the same booking, if it can be done
It requires a phone call and it's pretty straight forward. The wait times on the Priority Line are not bad at the moment - last week I maybe waited a minute or two to get connected to an agent.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
In terms of doing the calling method to link bookings, this applies to separate bookings (with the caveat I noted). So you on one booking and the non status passenger on the same flight and cabin on another booking.

If you were on the same booking then all passengers on your booking automatically benefit from your status with regards to seat selection.
​​​​​​Not sure I quite understood your caveat. If 1 gold 1 non BA member/blue HBO on same flight separate booking I can't select a seat for them due to lack of their status? Did I understand correctly? If so, what's the point; they would have their own status to select their own seats!
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:08 am

​​​​​​Not sure I quite understood your caveat. If 1 gold 1 non BA member/blue on same flight separate booking I can't select a seat for them due to lack of their status? Did I understand correctly? If so, what's the point; they would have their own status to select their own seats!
The caveat was if the non status person on a separate booking is on a hbo fare you can’t do the free selection for them.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:17 am
Original Poster

The caveat was if the non status person on a separate booking is on a hbo fare you can’t do the free selection for them.
Not doubting you but would like to see the BA policy about this so I can rant at then when I get a bit bored.

But assuming that's the case then is there any alternative method of getting the priority boarding, seat selection etc for the non status passenger without having to pay 2 standard fares on the same booking?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:23 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
The things we try and do to save a few quid eh... personally even if TCP did work on basic fares, I would not have the patience to try phone roulette here for the relatively marginal cost difference...
abligh likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ratechaser
The things we try and do to save a few quid eh... personally even if TCP did work on basic fares, I would not have the patience to try phone roulette here for the relatively marginal cost difference...
Precisely. I'm trying to avoid the phones at all cost. But the difference is not really marginal. The flights I'm looking for are approx £200 cheaper 3rd party HBO than booking on BA. And we regularly fly together so personally I wouldn't mind saving a couple of hundred here and there
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:31 am

Not doubting you but would like to see the BA policy about this so I can rant at then when I get a bit bored.
We have been told this several times by BA call centre agents.

But assuming that's the case then is there any alternative method of getting the priority boarding, seat selection etc for the non status passenger without having to pay 2 standard fares on the same booking?
No, although I am sure you are familiar with the lack of policing of the group boarding system in most cases anyway.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:37 am
Original Poster

No, although I am sure you are familiar with the lack of policing of the group boarding system in most cases anyway.
I'll confess, pre status days I may or may not have utilised this once or twice!.

But I have noticed on many recent flights (TLV, JFK) that it has strictly been enforced. So much so that one person in group 2 trying to board in group one was told as a consequence that she would have to wait until the entire group 2 was complete. She was not happy to say the least. Ironically, I find the most unpolicing of this policy appears in LHR which is the one place you would expect it to be enforced!

​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.