Wiki Posts
Search

BA 777-9 deliveries now 2026-2028

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
From a passenger perspective we need more Airbus and less Boeing. The 777 and various iterations might be an operators dream but they aren’t nice to fly, the 787 is really poor. A330 and A350 are really so much better.
For sure! I'll take the A350 over the B787 any day of the week!

Originally Posted by Will100
Really?

I think it’s madness that people were suggesting travel was over. People want to go, was never in doubt.
Hindsight is 20/20. Nobody could have realistically forecast how the pandemic would conclude in 2020. Nobody even knew when a vaccine would come to market.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 30, 2022 at 9:57 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:33 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by lsquare
In aviation terms, both planes are relatively new. When were they launched? Back in the 2010s? I doubt there will be any major upgrades until at least the 2030s. At least half of this decade will be lost to recover from the pandemic.
They’ll need something to keep the engineers occupied / entertained

(only half-joking, isn’t loss of institutional knowledge and accumulated expertise a regular problem on large new programmes)
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
From a passenger perspective we need more Airbus and less Boeing. The 777 and various iterations might be an operators dream but they aren’t nice to fly, the 787 is really poor. A330 and A350 are really so much better.
Can you explain this. I like the B787, and the A350, the A330 not so much. Don’t the first two have better cabin pressure and humidity? I think the A350 is quieter, but that maybe just the seats I’ve had.
Icyflyer likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dougzz
Can you explain this. I like the B787, and the A350, the A330 not so much. Don’t the first two have better cabin pressure and humidity? I think the A350 is quieter, but that maybe just the seats I’ve had.
787 has ridiculous windows and is remarkably noisy due to poor AC design. Later series A330 in particular are notably quieter. The A350 sits at the top of the tree in terms of overall plane design.

The pressure and humidity thing I really don’t notice.

Of course this leaves aside Boeing’s ability to actual build planes safely and reliably. 😕
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:43 am

Hindsight is 20/20. Nobody could have realistically forecast how the pandemic would conclude in 2020. Nobody even knew when a vaccine would come to market.
There definitely was a lot of uncertainty: a new virus, little prior knowledge of how a pandemic triggered by a highly-transmissable pathogen worked in a modern society, and above all the fact that government were totally flapping. It's hard to underestimate the damage that policies like Grant Shapps' decreeing by Twitter had on the industry. Let's not forget that, for instance, Nigeria went from no restrictions to hotel prison at your own cost to back to no restrictions in about 3 weeks!

Where I think everyone in the industry failed - but perhaps for that old fox of Michael O'Leary, who's often the smartest man in the room - was in figuring out how the recovery would look like. They thought of a U-shaped recovery, with a long plateau, because that was what happened in '08 (fun fact: LHR never quite recovered the % of business travellers it had back before Lehman went tits up!). The thing is, though, Covid wasn't an economic shock. This wasn't about bankers giving mortgages to people who couldn't afford them and then the whole economy crashing down; this was something external - a virus! - causing a blockade. Remove the virus, demand returned with a vengeance and the recovery was a very steep V-shaped one. If Asia opened up tomorrow, I think 2023 would be in line with 2019, for Europe already is at that level. That's what BA/HAL/US3 many more failed to grasp; they went for their staff, especially legacy ones, and now they're paying the price.
Swanhunter and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:48 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
I think the problem today with "Boeing" is that they need more Boeing. The "Boeing" of today is more McDonnell and Vought than Boeing, especially with the 787-10.
Swanhunter, Prospero and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 3:28 am

I can understand the dire predictions where business travel is concerned given the swift and widespread adoption of Zoom and eventually Teams by businesses. Making the same predictions about leisure travel, especially after the disrupted summers of 2020 and 2021, was just ridiculous and that's what I thought at the time. Business travel has picked up faster than expected by many, including me, but anyone looking at the amount who wanted to fly for summer holidays in 2020, even with all the restrictions, should have been in no doubt that there would be a large surge this year.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by 13901
Why 7+ years? The 77X has been designed even earlier than that, but in the late 2020s it'll still be the most technologically advanced VLA available on the market, with new engines and a wholly new wing. And, by not being a launch customer, BA will also have the benefit of (hopefully, it's Boeing so you never quite know) having a relatively mature aircraft. It makes a big difference.
And even then, incremental updates are pushed through the entire production run even before there is a complete update. The first A380 is much heavier than the last one to come of the line and still its officially the same A380-800.
13901 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
They’ll need something to keep the engineers occupied / entertained

(only half-joking, isn’t loss of institutional knowledge and accumulated expertise a regular problem on large new programmes)
They're still building new planes and fulfilling orders so no loss of anything. Even the new engines on the 777x aren't going to be night and day better than what we have today,. The B787 and A350 are still cutting-edge airplanes and have opened up routes that wouldn't have been economically feasible before their introduction. Just look at Boeing and Airbus' history of updating their planes for guidance on how the plans will be updated. For sure there will be engine upgrades in the future not just to lower fuel burn, but to minimize CO2 emissions.

There definitely was a lot of uncertainty: a new virus, little prior knowledge of how a pandemic triggered by a highly-transmissable pathogen worked in a modern society, and above all the fact that government were totally flapping. It's hard to underestimate the damage that policies like Grant Shapps' decreeing by Twitter had on the industry. Let's not forget that, for instance, Nigeria went from no restrictions to hotel prison at your own cost to back to no restrictions in about 3 weeks!

Where I think everyone in the industry failed - but perhaps for that old fox of Michael O'Leary, who's often the smartest man in the room - was in figuring out how the recovery would look like. They thought of a U-shaped recovery, with a long plateau, because that was what happened in '08 (fun fact: LHR never quite recovered the % of business travellers it had back before Lehman went tits up!). The thing is, though, Covid wasn't an economic shock. This wasn't about bankers giving mortgages to people who couldn't afford them and then the whole economy crashing down; this was something external - a virus! - causing a blockade. Remove the virus, demand returned with a vengeance and the recovery was a very steep V-shaped one. If Asia opened up tomorrow, I think 2023 would be in line with 2019, for Europe already is at that level. That's what BA/HAL/US3 many more failed to grasp; they went for their staff, especially legacy ones, and now they're paying the price.
Originally Posted by SamYeager
I can understand the dire predictions where business travel is concerned given the swift and widespread adoption of Zoom and eventually Teams by businesses. Making the same predictions about leisure travel, especially after the disrupted summers of 2020 and 2021, was just ridiculous and that's what I thought at the time. Business travel has picked up faster than expected by many, including me, but anyone looking at the amount who wanted to fly for summer holidays in 2020, even with all the restrictions, should have been in no doubt that there would be a large surge this year.
Based on what I read, business travel hasn't completely recovered, but there's no doubt in my mind that the aviation and tourism sector is heading for total recovery within the next year or two. The odds of further lockdowns or the pandemic worsening is unlikely. With better vaccines about to be introduced in the US and around the world, I think we can all look forward rather than backward. The desire to travel hasn't waned. It's always been and will always be there. Zoom doesn't replace that.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 30, 2022 at 9:57 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:38 am

They're still building new planes and fulfilling orders so no loss of anything.
Not entirely true. Once a design project concludes - and the bulk of the activity on the 787, 350 and their engines undoubtedly has - there is a loss of knowledge. People move on, teams are disbanded, this sort of thing. And from what I hear Boeing has quite a habit to close down teams. One of my previous (and best, sorely miss him) bosses worked at Boeing on the design of the 747-400. He and his team were disbanded soon after EIS and indeed were fired! In his career at Boeing he had to reapply for a job quite a few times.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not entirely true. Once a design project concludes - and the bulk of the activity on the 787, 350 and their engines undoubtedly has - there is a loss of knowledge. People move on, teams are disbanded, this sort of thing. And from what I hear Boeing has quite a habit to close down teams. One of my previous (and best, sorely miss him) bosses worked at Boeing on the design of the 747-400. He and his team were disbanded soon after EIS and indeed were fired! In his career at Boeing he had to reapply for a job quite a few times.
The B787 has been in the news over the years over safety concerns. It's hard to imagine how Boeing can investigate and solve problems without the talent from their program.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:37 pm

I agree, however I'm not sure about the timescales. With the A350 there's this 'Ultrafan' concept from Rolls Royce which, I believe, should appear sooner or later. But on the 787 front as far as I'm aware there are no bleedless engines being developed in the pipeline...
The 787 has always been a bleedless airplane. That configuration (and the efficiencies associated with it) is an aircraft systems one, independent of the engines.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:57 pm
Suspended

787 has ridiculous windows and is remarkably noisy due to poor AC design. Later series A330 in particular are notably quieter. The A350 sits at the top of the tree in terms of overall plane design.

The pressure and humidity thing I really don’t notice.

Of course this leaves aside Boeing’s ability to actual build planes safely and reliably. 😕
What a load of nonsense.

Boeing is nearly a decade ahead of Airbus in truly game changing technology, like advanced composite material and first of its kind technologies like bleedless deicing.

The large windows are a boon, not even possible on Airbus designs without compromising structural integrity thanks to their last generation construction methods, and a benefit to pax, at least for the subset with eyes.

When compared on a flight time basis, there is nearly no difference between the two manufacturers, but, strangely, both having worse records than the minors like Embrair.
JimEddie and Icyflyer like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
What a load of nonsense.

Boeing is nearly a decade ahead of Airbus in truly game changing technology, like advanced composite material and first of its kind technologies like bleedless deicing.

The large windows are a boon, not even possible on Airbus designs without compromising structural integrity thanks to their last generation construction methods, and a benefit to pax, at least for the subset with eyes.

When compared on a flight time basis, there is nearly no difference between the two manufacturers, but, strangely, both having worse records than the minors like Embrair.
If that were true, the A350 would've been a commercial flop instead of the success it is. As a passenger, they're both great planes and I'm happy to fly on either.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
If that were true, the A350 would've been a commercial flop instead of the success it is. As a passenger, they're both great planes and I'm happy to fly on either.
I absolutely love the A350. I hate flying the 787 when I'm sitting on the sun-facing side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.