Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peak BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Peak BA

Having been too young to fly on this, it does make me if its all been downhill from this point?

Regardless - a great video

Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:28 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately it says video unavailable.

But a LHR-JFK trip on Concorde will probably always be my most memorable flight. Fantastic experience, from walking into the lounge at T4 looking down at the aircraft, to the takeoff, the view from the cruise, the service, the wines, the food and then sunbathing in Central Park by lunchtime!
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It does say video unavailable on here, but you should be able to click on the "Watch on YouTube" link and watch it there.
chessman likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It’s not “all downhill from this point” and the “it was so much better before” is to be taken with as many pinches of salt as other “it was so much better before”’s.

Concorde was undoubtedly a great experience I’m sure and many of us would love to halve the time of some of our long haul flights and get fab food but for the rest, planes are infinitely safer than before, (notwithstanding temporary current prices) flying is a lot more affordable, networks better, and J comfort on almost any airline hugely superior to that period.

as is often (or always) the case, the nostalgia talk picks and chooses what to remember and what to forget.
HIDDY, wfiring12, etiene and 7 others like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jul 27, 2022 at 8:58 am
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Concorde was a truly remarkable feat of engineering for the time it was developed. But before we say things like "never to be repeated", I would remind you that there are once again supersonic airliners in development. Here is a link to but one ...

https://boomsupersonic.com

Let's hope BA orders some, as United already has.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Slightly OT but the lady with blond hair pouring champagne at about 28:00…….is that the same lady who works in the CCR at T5?
SxMan and orbitmic like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
No bumps.
No bangs.
Concorde.

mrow and choosethedrew like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
It’s not “all downhill from this point” and the “it was so much better before” is to be taken with as many pinches of salt as other “it was so much better before”’s.

Concorde was undoubtedly a great experience I’m sure and many of us would love to halve the time of some of our long haul flights and get fab food but for the rest, planes are infinitely safer than before, (notwithstanding temporary current prices) flying is a lot more affordable, networks better, and J comfort on almost any airline hugely superior to that period.

as is often (or always) the case, the nostalgia talk picks and chooses what to remember and what to forget.
This is a very fair comment, but I find the failure to make supersonic air travel commercially viable to a larger market audience a huge disappointment.

Concorde was a 1960s design and it does sadden me that we've not been able to develop it and bring it to a greater mass market in almost 60 years.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Slightly OT but the lady with blond hair pouring champagne at about 28:00…….is that the same lady who works in the CCR at T5?
It is.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by orbitmic
..,planes are infinitely safer than before,….
Agreed but I would only add that the way BA looked after its fleet and trained its pilots, flying a BA Concorde was undoubtedly safe by the most stringent modern standards.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Concorde was a truly remarkable feat of engineering for the time it was developed. But before we say things like "never to be repeated", I would remind you that there are once again supersonic airliners in development. Here is a link to but one ...

https://boomsupersonic.com

Let's hope BA orders some, as United already has.
I hate to sound like Debbie Downer here but it's still very much to be seen whether Overture/Boom will take to the skies or not. United hasn't really ordered the model; they made an agreement to purchase 15 planes once specific criteria (safety above all) are met, and Boom Supersonic is still very light on key aspects such as the engines. They have recently moved from a three- to a four-engine concept and as of now no engine exists to do what they want to do, going supersonic without afterburners and with decent fuel economy. The company has raised about a quarter of a billion USD in capital; to develop the (rather more conventional) A350 Airbus spent about 44x that amount...
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Agreed but I would only add that the way BA looked after its fleet and trained its pilots, flying a BA Concorde was undoubtedly safe by the most stringent modern standards.
Remembering though that the specific circumstances that led to the 2000 crash could have equally taken down a BA Concorde. It was just a matter of pure chance that it was AF.
choosethedrew and orbitmic like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What was better then
Concorde
First in pretty much every way apart from IFE
Club catering

What was worse then
T4 and T1 - who remembers the coaching gate at the end of Victor or the labyrinth of corridors in the T1 main pier
CW seating / cradle seats!
2-3 in CE
Fares
Exec club in the round
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Remembering though that the specific circumstances that led to the 2000 crash could have equally taken down a BA Concorde. It was just a matter of pure chance that it was AF.
With great respect to you Oxon Flyer, I don’t agree with that statement but I do not wish to derail the thread.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
seeing the excitement and shenanigans on the ramp, i feel like airside rachel(TM) would have a field day with this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.