Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA response to Barclays downgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:09 am
Original Poster

BA response to Barclays downgrades

Good morning, I had posted a few days ago about a disaster trip with BA. There were multiple issues, but the main point was that 3 out of 4 flights were downgraded from club Europe to economy. This booking had been made with a Barclays Upgrade voucher.

I submitted a complaint to BA and the response was to give me 10k avios and a generic non specific apology that didn’t after the issues. It was frankly insulting.

no refund of avios (so I’m still out the club Europe amount of avios) on downgraded flights and no refund of the upgrade voucher.

I was seeking the group wisdom as to were I go with this now?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How much did you pay for the flights and what was the flight distance. If they were 1500 km or fewer , then you are entitled to a 30% refund on those flighrs. if > 1500 miles then 50%
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:29 am
Original Poster

The flights were Belfast to London Heathrow and London Heathrow to Vienna. We only paid Ł2 in cash as had used avios

we paid 45k avios for 2 of us to fly Belfast - LHR - Vienna, Ł2 and used a Barclays upgrade voucher.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Taz29duffy
The flights were Belfast to London Heathrow and London Heathrow to Vienna. We only paid Ł2 in cash as had used avios

we paid 45k avios for 2 of us to fly Belfast - LHR - Vienna, Ł2 and used a Barclays upgrade voucher.
So you would be entitled to 13,500 Avios for the downgrade if downgraded for the entire journey. With only 3 segments downgraded, sounds like the 10k would be about right
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker

So you booked and paid for economy and upgraded with the voucher?

Ba must have some onus to refund you something but based on what you paid or what you were expecting to recieve? What would you like to see to resolve this matter ?

Its gonna be hard for BA to rationalise a "cost" to refund you in this matter and suggest that you speak to Barclays about reinstating the voucher first. Failing that you will need to go to the banking authorities and try there I would guess.

I was down graded recently on a one way cash fare of a similar distance and got back just Ł16 for 2 people. I would have preferred 10k avios
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
So you booked and paid for economy and upgraded with the voucher?

Ba must have some onus to refund you something but based on what you paid or what you were expecting to recieve? What would you like to see to resolve this matter ?

Its gonna be hard for BA to rationalise a "cost" to refund you in this matter and suggest that you speak to Barclays about reinstating the voucher first. Failing that you will need to go to the banking authorities and try there I would guess.

I was down graded recently on a one way cash fare of a similar distance and got back just Ł16 for 2 people. I would have preferred 10k avios
It does have an onus and the amount is defined under the UK version of EU261. The downgrade amount is 30% of what was paid. Very easy to rationalise a cost and seems likely that 10k is about correct
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:26 am
Suspended

Another nail in the coffin for the upgrade vouchers…
SxMan and jonr405 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Disagree.

They are refunding the 30% and ignoring the voucher.

Flip it the other way. Would they upgrade you from economy to business for 10k avios ?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Disagree.

Flip it the other way. Would they upgrade you from economy to business for 10k avios ?

there was a deal done. Voucher = upgrade. They went back on the deal
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by jeremyBA
Disagree.

there was a deal done. Voucher = upgrade. They went back on the deal
Presumably the 'deal' was subject to BA coc though, in which case BA may well have not gone back on the agreement, and it appears the downgrade compensation due in law has been offered.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Would there be any chance of Barclays reinstating the voucher if you contacted them about this?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
it appears the downgrade compensation due in law has been offered.
Has it? EC261 says the refund due is "30% of the price of the ticket". Clearly the upgrade voucher forms part of the price paid for the ticket, because 45k avios would not normally buy you return Club Europe tickets, and having used the voucher it's no longer available to use on another flight. The issue is how to value the upgrade voucher.

I would suggest the simplest way to do that is as the avios required to purchase a Club Europe ticket less the avios actually paid. The refund due should then be 30% of the avios required to purchase the Club Europe ticket, adjusted for the leg that wasn't downgraded.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Good morning, I had posted a few days ago about a disaster trip with BA. There were multiple issues, but the main point was that 3 out of 4 flights were downgraded from club Europe to economy. This booking had been made with a Barclays Upgrade voucher.

I submitted a complaint to BA and the response was to give me 10k avios and a generic non specific apology that didn’t after the issues. It was frankly insulting.

no refund of avios (so I’m still out the club Europe amount of avios) on downgraded flights and no refund of the upgrade voucher.

I was seeking the group wisdom as to were I go with this now?
This cannot be correct.

45,000 Avios is the peak RFS price for 2 adults in Economy one-way BFS-LHR-VIE. Return would have been 90,000 Avios in total.

The sector-related Avios costs are

BHD-LHR Eco 9,750; Biz 16,250
LHR-VIE Eco12,750; Biz 22,250

Depending on which sectors were downgraded, the Avios difference for BHD-LHR is 6,500 and for LHR-VIE 9,500, so add those up to find the value from your voucher that BA owe you back.

I mention these figures rather than the EU/UK261 amounts since every time I have been downgraded, this is the method BA itself uses to reimburse me, even if the EU261 amounts would be higher.

According to EU261, you are owed 30% of flights under 1,500 Km and 50% of flights between 1,500 and 3,500 Km.

Since you said 3 of 4 sectors were downgraded, at least one of your complete flights between Belfast and Vienna must have been downgraded. The direct distance Belfast to Vienna is nearly 1,700 Km, meaning that using the EU261 rules, you are entitled to 50% of your Avios plus 25% of your voucher returned for that one-way flight alone. This alone is more than double what BA are offering.

Do your math, add up what you think you are entitled to, reply to BA. When they refuse, either take them to CEDR or use the amount BA charge to purchase Avios to find a cash sum and take them to MCOL.
wanderingjock and JD1905 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:56 pm

If it is 45,000 points for 1 person roundtrip, that would seem to be correct. The OP didn't mention 2 passengers and the voucher is only valid for 1 person roundtrip
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I mentioned it in the other thread, but why not make this a formal complaint with Barclays. You are paying for a packaged bank account that is offering you a benefit that you have not received. Financial services regulation is relatively strong compared to Airlines, and is also based on principles of treating customers fairly.

Yes, anyone CAN get downgraded, but between this and Amex, there is at least a lot of anecdotal evidence to support that voucher upgrades are the first to get knocked back when a flight is oversold.

By the way, I accept that not everyone agrees with this assertion, but if it's a choice of downgrading/compensating a revenue versus a voucher pax... well I think Occams Razor kicks in here...
strowger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.