LHR-ABZ Cancelled - Zero Options

Old Jul 26, 22, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
LHR-ABZ Cancelled - Zero Options

Hi all,

Sorry for another 'my flight has been cancelled - help' threads!

Meant to be flying from LHR to ABZ on the 12th August (for the Brewdog AGM) and coming back on the 14th). Only outbound option is for the day we come back (thank you BA). So where does this leave me with getting up to Aberdeen? I can see a few EasyJet flights that can be booked, but I can't see BA paying for this. Would BA pay for the train (I would be spending a lot more time getting there, but at least I would be getting there), or would they pay for a train from Inverness / Edinburgh? Other than that, I do not know how to get to Aberdeen on that day.

Mods, if this should be merged to another thread - please do.

Cheers!

Last edited by Ryanfozzie; Jul 26, 22 at 11:19 am Reason: Additional Info
Old Jul 26, 22, 12:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
The train prices from Edinburgh to Aberdeen can be quite low if booked a week or so in advance. We took that train last Monday and I think it was something like 15 one way which I thought was very good value. That may be your best bet. Or attend the AGM via Zoom (other video conferencing services are available).
Old Jul 26, 22, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
The train prices from Edinburgh to Aberdeen can be quite low if booked a week or so in advance. We took that train last Monday and I think it was something like 15 one way which I thought was very good value. That may be your best bet. Or attend the AGM via Zoom (other video conferencing services are available).
No free beers offered over Zoom though
malagajohn, wrp96, golfmad and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 26, 22, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by polochick View Post
If it was within 14 days of your trip I would have thought any of the above would be possible though you might need to escalate to the right people to get it done. But you're more than 14 days before so I'm no expert but I think your best offer is going to be a full refund and do it on your own.
Old Jul 26, 22, 1:01 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
This was mentioned in another recent thread. BA do have the capability to rebook onto some train services.
Old Jul 26, 22, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The LON-ABZ ticket can be replaced by Contact Centres with a LNER rail ticket. This would be KGX to ABZ, they would probably pay for INV or EDB instead after the event. See point 3 in the Seminal Thread.
Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know
wrp96 and Ryanfozzie like this.
Old Jul 26, 22, 1:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
An excellent point
Old Jul 26, 22, 1:26 pm

Also have a look at GLA too, there's not much time difference on the train from there compared to EDI, probably 20 minutes max

The INV-ABZ train is about 2 hours 15.

One cautionary note about ScotRail services especially given your destination is you still can't drink on them. This is usually met with lip service but you wouldn't want to be made an example of.

LNER or on the other hand is fine to drink on and you can board at Haymarket for them which is easier that Waverley.
Old Jul 26, 22, 1:35 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Watch over Zoom, spend flight money on beer instead.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 26, 22, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
I thought the 14 days is only for compensation and the right to reroute would apply irrespective of notice being given? So why would the OP not be OK to be rebooked on easy (other than BA being difficult about it)?
estrela likes this.
Old Jul 26, 22, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
It's Brewdog, BA have done you a favour
Old Jul 26, 22, 2:33 pm

Also don't know if it's a rebooking option but you can do LCY-DND with Loganair and then train from there.

Flight is 19.10 LCY, 20.55 DND.

Train at 21.11 and 21.54 to Aberdeen from Dundee.

Last edited by Cw novice; Jul 26, 22 at 2:39 pm Reason: Extra info
Old Jul 26, 22, 5:02 pm

As this is FT, you can fly EDI-ABZ with a 1h05 wait in Kirkwall. Can't get BA to price it, but I think these should be Loganair/BA codeshares (BA4067 then BA4037). I don't know if 1h05 is a legal MCT in Kirkwall!
Old Jul 27, 22, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The LON-ABZ ticket can be replaced by Contact Centres with a LNER rail ticket. This would be KGX to ABZ, they would probably pay for INV or EDB instead after the event. See point 3 in the Seminal Thread.
Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know
Originally Posted by Nikko5 View Post
As this is FT, you can fly EDI-ABZ with a 1h05 wait in Kirkwall. Can't get BA to price it, but I think these should be Loganair/BA codeshares (BA4067 then BA4037). I don't know if 1h05 is a legal MCT in Kirkwall!
Originally Posted by Cw novice View Post
Also don't know if it's a rebooking option but you can do LCY-DND with Loganair and then train from there.

Flight is 19.10 LCY, 20.55 DND.

Train at 21.11 and 21.54 to Aberdeen from Dundee.
Hi all, so having called BA - they are not giving me any options. No option of the train, no option of DND and sadly not via Kirkwall...

This is an Avios booking and BA (well the agent on the phone said) 'There is nothing we can do for you' and ended the call there. Not sure what to do?
Old Jul 27, 22, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LCY8737 View Post
I thought the 14 days is only for compensation and the right to reroute would apply irrespective of notice being given? So why would the OP not be OK to be rebooked on easy (other than BA being difficult about it)?
Wish I knew - they will only rebook on 'airlines we have commercial agreements with'.

Search this Thread