LHR-ABZ Cancelled - Zero Options

Old Jul 27, 22, 5:04 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, Avianca Diamond, HH Silver, (OtherhalfGold), IHG Gold
Is this because it’s just outside the 14 days ?
Old Jul 27, 22, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie View Post
Hi all,

Sorry for another 'my flight has been cancelled - help' threads!

Meant to be flying from LHR to ABZ on the 12th August (for the Brewdog AGM) and coming back on the 14th). Only outbound option is for the day we come back (thank you BA). So where does this leave me with getting up to Aberdeen? I can see a few EasyJet flights that can be booked, but I can't see BA paying for this. Would BA pay for the train (I would be spending a lot more time getting there, but at least I would be getting there), or would they pay for a train from Inverness / Edinburgh? Other than that, I do not know how to get to Aberdeen on that day.

Mods, if this should be merged to another thread - please do.

Cheers!
When my flight was delayed by 13 hours on the 29th May I asked them to reroute me on an earlier flight to Belfast then Loganair from Belfast to Aberdeen which they did.

could be worth a try.
Old Jul 27, 22, 5:14 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Hi all, so having called BA - they are not giving me any options. No option of the train, no option of DND and sadly not via Kirkwall...

This is an Avios booking and BA (well the agent on the phone said) 'There is nothing we can do for you' and ended the call there. Not sure what to do?
If that is correct, than that is an absolutely appalling bit of customer service
jokerjokerj likes this.
Old Jul 27, 22, 5:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Hi all, so having called BA - they are not giving me any options. No option of the train, no option of DND and sadly not via Kirkwall...

This is an Avios booking and BA (well the agent on the phone said) 'There is nothing we can do for you' and ended the call there. Not sure what to do?
Call again, or just send in your train / air ticket for repayment, quoting the name of the agent that refused to rebook you.
Joeykins and Geordie405 like this.
Old Jul 27, 22, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Amb
One option to consider which often gets overlooked: the Caledonian Sleeper runs to Aberdeen, and might be a better use of your time and save on accommodation costs...
SxMan likes this.
Old Jul 27, 22, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Gold.
Welcome to the joys of travelling from ABZ, I've not had a flight this year that hasn't been disrupted. There's been such long queues to check in too (Sometimes only one check in agent sometimes two, on the odd occasion they have opened check in 2 hours before the flight leave, the worst was 90 minutes before the flight departed.) I've given up travelling from ABZ and just get the train to/from EDI. Which is a shame as ABZ isn't that bad an airport, there's never really big queues at security, the food is better in the (paid) Northern Lights lounge than the BA lounge.

Tram and Train from EDI - ABZ is really easy. Exit the terminal, get on the tram, about 25 minutes later get off at Haymarket, down a flight of stairs and get on a express (!) train to ABZ. The LNER trains are better than the ScotRail in my experience.

For the return on Sunday you could take the train back to EDI or do EasyJet from ABZ to LGW

The sleeper would be a good idea, but looks sold out on the Friday night and there is no service on a Saturday night
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Jul 28, 22, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Call again, or just send in your train / air ticket for repayment, quoting the name of the agent that refused to rebook you.
Originally Posted by SheepyAFC View Post
When my flight was delayed by 13 hours on the 29th May I asked them to reroute me on an earlier flight to Belfast then Loganair from Belfast to Aberdeen which they did.

could be worth a try.
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet View Post
If that is correct, than that is an absolutely appalling bit of customer service
Originally Posted by onlynik View Post
Welcome to the joys of travelling from ABZ, I've not had a flight this year that hasn't been disrupted. There's been such long queues to check in too (Sometimes only one check in agent sometimes two, on the odd occasion they have opened check in 2 hours before the flight leave, the worst was 90 minutes before the flight departed.) I've given up travelling from ABZ and just get the train to/from EDI. Which is a shame as ABZ isn't that bad an airport, there's never really big queues at security, the food is better in the (paid) Northern Lights lounge than the BA lounge.

Tram and Train from EDI - ABZ is really easy. Exit the terminal, get on the tram, about 25 minutes later get off at Haymarket, down a flight of stairs and get on a express (!) train to ABZ. The LNER trains are better than the ScotRail in my experience.

For the return on Sunday you could take the train back to EDI or do EasyJet from ABZ to LGW

The sleeper would be a good idea, but looks sold out on the Friday night and there is no service on a Saturday night
Update.....

Called back BA, got through in 2 mins flat (Silver live) and pushed for an option. Eventually I got offered (and I can't wait, took some convincing for my friend I'm travelling to agree - but just for a laugh) the following:

BA8722 to Glasgow Fri 12 Aug 2022 13:45
BA4019 to Shetland Islands Fri 12 Aug 2022 17:30 (Loganair)
BA4081 to Aberdeen Fri 12 Aug 2022 19:35 (Loganair)

Let's hope I make the connection at Sumburgh! Not sure what the MTC is.....
Nikko5, Schwann, DaveS and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 22, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Nikko5 View Post
As this is FT, you can fly EDI-ABZ with a 1h05 wait in Kirkwall. Can't get BA to price it, but I think these should be Loganair/BA codeshares (BA4067 then BA4037). I don't know if 1h05 is a legal MCT in Kirkwall!
Forgot to quote you in my reply above - but I think I got one better than that!
Nikko5 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 22, 10:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Not sure what the MTC is.....
MCT at Sumburgh is 30 mins and you have 35 mins. It's a tiny airport and I suspect you'll be fine.

On the other hand I was once stranded by weather in Lerwick for three days!
Nikko5, BlueThroughCrimp and KARFA like this.
Old Jul 28, 22, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
MCT at Sumburgh is 30 mins and you have 35 mins. It's a tiny airport and I suspect you'll be fine.

On the other hand I was once stranded by weather in Lerwick for three days!
After BA made it so hard for us, we are understanding that if anything goes wrong, we have a holiday in Lerwick with BA covering the duty of care element - or so I hope!
Nikko5, KARFA and plunet like this.
Old Jul 28, 22, 4:15 pm

After BA made it so hard for us, we are understanding that if anything goes wrong, we have a holiday in Lerwick with BA covering the duty of care element - or so I hope!
Excellent result - a domestic TP run at BA's expense, enjoy!
[Edit - just re-read this was a reward booking, but nonetheless enjoy!]
jamiel and Ryanfozzie like this.
Old Jul 28, 22, 5:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage GLD; AGR
Looking forward to reading the trip report from this and especially to hearing whether it ended up booking into a revenue class…
jamiel and Ryanfozzie like this.
Old Jul 28, 22, 8:41 pm

Great result. In the bad old days 3x Dan-Air crews got stuck in the Brae hotel for a week. There was much consternation when a certain captain got a call from ops saying "get your bags packed your all leaving in an hour.
! hour later a helicopter clattered down on to the snow covered lawn and whisked them away. End of paid holiday.
Ryanfozzie likes this.
Old Jul 29, 22, 3:18 am

In the days Dan Dare had more money than sense…..
Old Jul 29, 22, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by gw76 View Post
In the days Dan Dare had more money than sense…..
Paid for by Shell

Search this Thread