Skyrocketing prices

Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm finding club world to the US is the same pricing for most routes I am used to. Travelling 6-8 weeks prior, and including a connection and saturday departure. Typically £4-5K.

Raleigh in September, Houston and San Francisco in October - all booked in that range.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Will100
Good assessment.

This is a finely balanced game and it’s swung to high prices. No doubt we’ll see a relative adjustment in winter, but not to what we’ve been used to over the last few years
I suspect a lot of people would have made speculative bookings on certain routes with a near 100% chance of getting cancelled giving them carte Blanche to book prime peak dates at no extra charge so if a flight has pax rebooked on there the cheapest fare buckets will be removed plus the caps will restrict prices even more
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:04 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Use your miles or otherwise wait it out.

Majority of those currently flying right now:
1) Boomers squandering their retirement funds for overpriced tickets
2) Families on 'revenge travel' who aren't phased by current airport conditions nor inflated tickets
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Use your miles or otherwise wait it out.

Majority of those currently flying right now:
1) Boomers squandering their retirement funds for overpriced tickets
2) Families on 'revenge travel' who aren't phased by current airport conditions nor inflated tickets
I would be careful with your word choice; "Boomer" in the context you have used it comes across as a pejorative.
higham44, OGG flyer and BarredOwl like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jaysonb22
I would be careful with your word choice; "Boomer" in the context you have used it comes across as a pejorative.
Wasn't that the intention?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The good news is that this isn't a sustainable situation for BA or HAL. HAL will be leaving money on the table purely due to their inept handling of this, and BA are in a similar scenario, slightly mitigated by being able to forecast the problem somewhat better than HAL. This is anecdote but I mentioned separately a LYS flight with over 40 untaken seats, and lowest fares north of £500. They probably did sell one of those tickets at that price for someone who really had no choice, but would have sold all of those 40 seats with fares in the £100, £150 range. At some point non LHR airlines will shift capacity to have some of BA's business. It must be highly frustrating. This supply constraint is artificial and will be resolved. It may take until October before we see evidence of this, though.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus
I guess the usual rules apply? I usually take one trip to US west coast in J and prices in April ‘23 are hovering around the norm.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Also quite a few of us are sitting on a pile of BA e-vouchers but struggling to find value to spend them at the moment. Don’t they expire sometime in 2023?.. losing track! I really don’t want to be forced into redeeming whilst the flights are so expensive but ultimately may be forced to the longer this situation continues. I’m hoping they at least extend the expiry.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I think sept 23
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:31 pm

Also, redemption market very difficult now. That’ll sort itself out too I hope.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Karen Jackson
I was just looking at LHR-DLM for June 2023 too - in econ as there’s a group of us. £500 rtn pp - mad price! I was just pondering whether to book it or wait - whether the prices are likely to increase or decrease. It’s outside of the school holidays too so I dread to think what they’ll be asking for July/August 😳
Great time to burn those Avios!
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:19 pm

So I rather speculatively booked a holiday with BA for my wife, two kids and I to Orlando next month, all the way back in September last year.

The Covid situation was still a little uncertain at the time, and the US wasn’t even open to UK passengers, but it struck me that if both situations were to markedly improve demand would surge, with prices following suit. The subsequent staff shortages didn’t even occur to me at the time.

I paid a smidge over £13k for return flights in CW and 18 nights accommodation in a hotel BA list as 5 star with a significant room upgrade. I just looked at the same holiday now, only in a basic room in a 3 star hotel (as ours is no longer available) and it’s over £28k. I expected it to be substantially higher, and I’m sure there are a series of compounding factors at play, but that’s absolutely nuts.

I’d feel smug but for the fear of those kind of prices becoming the norm. I don’t expect things to return to pre-Covid times, but surely these kind of price increases aren’t sustainable long-term.
SW7London likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Never Stansted
A lot of the ludicrous prices are purely ex-LON. I've checked a few JER-LHR-Europe itineraries recently and compared them to simple LHR-Europe itineraries, and simply adding a JER leg is halving the price. I'm used to the JER connection being very cheap / free, but it's only in the last few months I've found that adding it actually reduces the price (sometimes by as much as 50%).
Likewise ex-DUB. Just booked DUB-JNB/CPT-RTM for January 2023 for £1900 in J.

LHR-JNB/CPT-LHR for the same dates (& same long haul legs) was £3800.
Never Stansted likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I know the carriers are holding back on offering discounted fares in J or Y, and therefore seat inventory. They are trying to manage the demand, as well as keeping back a slug of seats for when things 'normalise', which they inevitably will. The US domestic routes are already seeing a softening of demand for Autumn travel, and I am also seeing this in Aus/NZ. I screen scrape fares at work and see a sharp downturn of fares in the next month or so.
The current surge of demand has been pent up but will exhaust itself. The carriers, in true fashion will be out of synch with the market (like how they buy planes), and have plenty of staff, reduced flying and either plenty cheap customers or simply no customers because we can't afford other stuff so the discretionary trips get cut from the family budget. Others will have been put off by the top fare pricing to deter travel and have shifted to Ryan/Wizz/Jet2 etc.
MiraculousM and TaxiTiger like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
It's been the case since the first of the year. In March, I could have bought CW from JFK to EDI with a return from INV in August for around $1800 per ticket. Because other items were chewing up funds in the travel budget at that time, I held off, and prices rose. I eventually bought a BA Holidays package for the same dates with two CW tickets going to EDI and back from INV with a rental car for 16 days for about $6100--on the day the US lifted its COVID testing requirements. I figured prices were only going up from there, and I've been proven correct with the same package now selling for over $10K.

Prices will drop as demand evens out and the airlines restaff, but if you're traveling for the remainder of the summer and perhaps into mid-fall, the chances are you will pay a premium.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.