Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it legal for British Airways to raise price on second page of booking?

Is it legal for British Airways to raise price on second page of booking?

Old Jul 26, 22, 3:19 am

It's clear time and time again, BA don't have a sufficient compliance or audit capability, from a non-aviation safety perspective. That's down to the regulators though. It of course can be done, but clearly there's been a decision in the DfT/CAA to allow them not to apply those same standards to other parts of their business.
Old Jul 26, 22, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jimlad48 View Post
For the sake of $130 I think there are more important things in life to worry about.
If you went to a petrol station and the pump indicated the price was gbp54 , but once you went into the store to pay, the member of staff said that it would be gbp200, I assume that you would just pay it and be happy. Obviously the pump was just giving indicative pricing
Old Jul 26, 22, 3:32 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
How would it validly make such an argument after having been ruled against before?
I'm not saying it would, at least not to the DOT. The point I'm making is how they might argue if it was a complaint brought in the U.K. The interesting aspect to me is that in this case, there seems to be stronger consumer protection on the US side...
Old Jul 26, 22, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, TAP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jimlad48 View Post
For the sake of $130 I think there are more important things in life to worry about.
I'd much rather spend $130 on a night out or even a grocery shop than giving it to a soulless airline and its shareholders.

Just keep in mind that someone on a minimum wage (in the UK) would have to work about 12 hours, and that's before taxes. Sneaky price increases will not get them any sympathy from the general public or the regulators. Other airlines have an IT systems capable of showing the correct price straightaway. If BA isn't capable of investing into their system, they should at least set the expectations right by inflating the initial price and then decrasing it on the second page, not the other way round.
Old Jul 26, 22, 6:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Last edited by DYKWIA; Jul 26, 22 at 6:04 am Reason: Some weirdness on this thread!
Old Jul 26, 22, 6:09 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Not great if BA has been here before, been fined and still not resolved the matter.

This has however reminded me of something: whatever happened to the chap who was suing BA in Canada because he didn't get his helicopter transfer after his First Class flight?
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 26, 22, 6:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica View Post
Not great if BA has been here before, been fined and still not resolved the matter.

This has however reminded me of something: whatever happened to the chap who was suing BA in Canada because he didn't get his helicopter transfer after his First Class flight?
BA First Helicopter Ride - QC [Quebec, Canada] Lawsuit
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Jul 26, 22, 7:05 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Don't see a resolution to it yet, but the poster got 13,000 CAD out of then on another matter.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32880943-post823.html
Old Jul 26, 22, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm still not sure I understand what the OP was doing. Whether it involved buying Avios or not. If he's sure he has a case then he's welcome to lodge a complaint with the authorities. Hopefully he'll report back on the outcome.
Old Jul 26, 22, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP obviously suffered signficantly from BA's website "glitch." I did not realize this has been going on for years. I was pricing NYC-LON flights last week and saw the same off-peak 13K miles + $64 and was going to ticket it. I had recently read that BA has just "rationalized" many of its award surcharges and assumed this was one of them. When I clicked to buy it displayed the fare as 13K miles + $199. Obviously, I was annoyed and didn't complete my purchase.

FWIW, this "glitch" seems to only happen in select markets. Like when I priced award fares to LON from other US markets, it showed a $199 fee.

Meanwhile, I also noticed that Air France's Flying Blue is ACTUALLY selling some off-peak transatlantic award tickets for 15K miles plus around $55. So you might want to consider those. And anyone complaining to the DOT about BA's refusal to honor their own website fares may want to use that as an example of what customers would reasonably expect.
Old Jul 26, 22, 11:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat, HY Globule
I see the same $135 difference leaving from NYC and BOS to London. ORD and PHX match up. Looks like a glitch specific to a few airports.

ETA: iahphx beat me to it!
Old Jul 26, 22, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xooz View Post
I see the same $135 difference leaving from NYC and BOS to London. ORD and PHX match up. Looks like a glitch specific to a few airports.

ETA: iahphx beat me to it!
Yeah, I'm not a programmer, but it's hard for me to understand how this type of glitch occurs and why BA can't simply fix it.
Old Jul 26, 22, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Meanwhile, I also noticed that Air France's Flying Blue is ACTUALLY selling some off-peak transatlantic award tickets for 15K miles plus around $55. So you might want to consider those. And anyone complaining to the DOT about BA's refusal to honor their own website fares may want to use that as an example of what customers would reasonably expect.
the AF find is amazing, thank you! wasn't available when i'd checked few weeks ago. wish i'd seen it before booking BA yesterday

any ideas on good redemptions like this from SUI/IT (or FR/UK if low enough) to NYC around 8/20 +/- 2? Best econ prices I can find are 50k+ miles or $800+ cash.

also, AF award search website craps out after only one search, right? if i try to search again there's just a frozen drop-down box. same issue on multiple browsers.

Last edited by ffly45; Jul 26, 22 at 1:00 pm
Old Jul 26, 22, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffly45 View Post
the AF find is amazing, thank you! wasn't available when i'd checked few weeks ago. wish i'd seen it before booking BA yesterday

any ideas on good redemptions like this from SUI/IT (or FR/UK if low enough) to NYC around 8/20 +/- 2? Best econ prices I can find are 50k+ miles or $800+ cash.

also, AF award search website craps out after only one search, right? if i try to search again there's just a frozen drop-down box. same issue on multiple browsers.
I was only looking on Flying Blue for a one-way fare from the USA. The coach class deals seem to run to the end of the schedule (not sure about July), and seem cheapest from JFK. If you're brave enough to book now for late spring/early summer, I don't think these deals can be beat. Most cities in Europe seem to have 15,000 mile tickets (with a change in Paris). Given that transatlantic fares next summer are likely to be extremely high, I think this one is worth booking.
Old Jul 26, 22, 4:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
I was only looking on Flying Blue for a one-way fare from the USA. The coach class deals seem to run to the end of the schedule (not sure about July), and seem cheapest from JFK. If you're brave enough to book now for late spring/early summer, I don't think these deals can be beat. Most cities in Europe seem to have 15,000 mile tickets (with a change in Paris). Given that transatlantic fares next summer are likely to be extremely high, I think this one is worth booking.
works the other way around as well.
chicago is also available (15k) as well as Boston for 17k

Search this Thread