Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it legal for British Airways to raise price on second page of booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it legal for British Airways to raise price on second page of booking?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ffly45
there is no 25000 Avios option. you're conflating this one with the reference from the case cited by another user.
on the first screen it shows 13000 Avios + $64.80; on the second page it shows 13000 Avios + $199.60.

no. the miles required is still 13000 Avios. and there are still award seats available. and the price discrepancies between pages are still there if you search yourself.
the "taxes and fees" for the same ticket price couldn't possibly legally vary based on availability of seats, at least on grounds of discrimination.

they'd been caught doing it almost a decade ago, paid a pittance in fines, made insincere assurances that they fixed the issue, and have since continued to violate the law for years now.
perhaps this is why i say BA is too big for the DOT. 😏
I have the same result with the OP when I search for US-UK one way reward in Y with BA. The initial page shows 13000 Avios + $64.80 but on the next page, it ends up charging me 13000 Avios + $199.60.
I have over 200k Avios in my account so thats certainly not the issue of the OP having not enough Avios. That's frustrating.
iahphx and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by ffly45
I clicked Continue and it said I didn't have enough Avios to continue.
So I canceled my Aer Lingus award booking, which cost 20000 Avios + $110.90, paid the $55 cancellation fee, and transferred those EI Avios to BA.

Now my EI award seat is no longer available, and I see no alternative but to capitulate and book with the higher fees that were not disclosed initially.
OP should file a DOT complaint - if anything, it would be interested to see if it sets an outcome precedence, especially when you actually suffer consequential loss.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by roked
The JFK-LHR flights are 25k, so do not understand why you are not seeing that option. It does look like it is bugged in what its showing you for some reason,,, Out of interest, if you click more pricing options on the first screen (should be visible in the box at the bottom after you select the flight), what do you see?
An off-peak, one-way JFK-LHR flight in Economy is not 25,000 BA Avios; not sure where you are seeing this. The off-peak rate is 13,000 BA Avios, as confirmed by this screenshot:

And, as another poster confirmed, if you click through to finalize the redemption booking, the cash component more than triples, to $199.80 (for the same 13,000 Avios).
ScienceTeacher likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I have the same issue. Here's the screen grabs. I apologise in advance for the paltry Avios balance on my account

Initial quote showing 13,000 Avios and $64.80

---

After you click "continue" the quote shows 13,000 Avios and $199.80

---

I am not surprised the OP is a little ticked off over this, especially after cancelling another booking and paying the cancellation fee to allow them to transfer Avios to make the booking with BA.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:49 pm

This is what shows on the UK site

So somehow on the US version, it is only giving you the max of the 13k option and the taxes of the 25k on the initial screen, which it then corrects to the 13k version (ish) on the next screen. I agree you should push this complaint and see if you can get them to honour the price
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by roked
This is what shows on the UK site

So somehow on the US version, it is only giving you the max of the 13k option and the taxes of the 25k on the initial screen, which it then corrects to the 13k version (ish) on the next screen. I agree you should push this complaint and see if you can get them to honour the price
Courtesy of headforpoints.com, here is the BA redemption table for Economy Class flights. It appears that in the U.K., one can pay more Avios than the base redemption rate to reduce the cash component. But the base redemption rate for JFK-LHR off-peak in Economy is 13,000 Avios:

Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I had exactly the same issue pricing a one way J flight from DXB-LHR. On the website it said 50k AVIOS plus £222.40 in tax. When I went through to the next page it said the taxes were £276.10 plus same AVIOS. The wording on the first page is clear that it includes everything.

BA GGL said the first page was an average, it wasn’t an average of anything, and then said they would send to IT to investigate. I agree it is dishonest and possibly false advertising - you have reminded me to chase them for an answer to my query.

Regards

aks120
Silver Fox and u01sss3 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by aks120
BA GGL said the first page was an average, it wasn’t an average of anything, and then said they would send to IT to investigate.
It's annoying when Customer Service simply "speculates" and doesn't provide real answers to a specific issue...
aks120 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:05 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
For the sake of $130 I think there are more important things in life to worry about.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by jimlad48
For the sake of $130 I think there are more important things in life to worry about.
Phew. You're right. Thanks for that. This thread can be closed. Along with almost every other thread on every other forum everywhere. Have a cup of coffee, you'll be alright...
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
File a consumer complaint with the U.S. Department of Transportation and you'll find out:

https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint
For what it's worth I have filed 3 DOT complaints against airlines in the past 20 years. All were well founded and I had solid facts and all resulted in significant actions by the airline. DOT is not going to help you if you are just whining. But if you can document a violation the airline will take a complaint seriously, at least they used to.
etiene likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by jimlad48
But it is not just about 1 person and a single $130 is it? If they are systematically failing in their duty to provide accurate costing then they should be held accountable. I wouldn’t see the price of a sofa on DFS at £1000 and then accept the salesman saying oh our IT is awful, it is actually £1200 - so why should I do it with BA?

Regards

aks120
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:14 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I'd have thought if there was a previous DOT complaint upheld for exactly the same issue, quoting that and saying that BA had failed to address it would make them take notice?

This is quite an interesting discussion from a U.K. point of view, because legally here, I'd imagine BA would argue that these prices are considered an 'invitation to treat' and so not binding at the initial stage (although IANAL, I wonder if misrepresentation could also be a valid argument here). In any case, it appears the US takes a different view.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ratechaser
I'd have thought if there was a previous DOT complaint upheld for exactly the same issue, quoting that and saying that BA had failed to address it would make them take notice?

This is quite an interesting discussion from a U.K. point of view, because legally here, I'd imagine BA would argue that these prices are considered an 'invitation to treat' and so not binding at the initial stage (although IANAL, I wonder if misrepresentation could also be a valid argument here). In any case, it appears the US takes a different view.
How would it validly make such an argument after having been ruled against before?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:10 am

Just out of curiosity what does the DoT fine BA for these violations?

Also, is there a way to file a similar complaint against BA but not involving the US? So does the EU/UK have a similar method?

Edit: not involving US for a short haul EU flight or long haul to Asia. Just not to/from US so no standing for DoT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.