FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA CS Mess Up Splitting Up 3 Year Old (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2088282-ba-cs-mess-up-splitting-up-3-year-old.html)

aidy Jul 25, 2022 3:21 am

BA CS Mess Up Splitting Up 3 Year Old

Hi All,

I just wanted a bit of guidance here, we're flying on Wednesday to YYZ.

BA cancelled the booking numerous times so we have had numerous changes, the last one, for some unknown reason they split the booking so our 3 year old daughter is on a separate booking to us, and not sitting near us.

I tried to call the silver line this morning to move her next to us, as TS has set in, the seats are showing as blocked (wife and i are silver daughter is a blue).

After a 40 min call with a very unhelpful CS member, she refused to do anything at all, so we asked to speak to a supervisor as it should be a simple issue and simple fix, her very words were "im in charge there is no one else to speak to".

Any ideas on next steps, as we dont want to have our 3 year old away from us, especially seeing we had it as a single booking, but a BA error split it up.

Or is it a case of HUACA

omk298 Jul 25, 2022 3:25 am

HUACA, but if that fails you'll get it sorted out at the check in desk. 3 year olds have to be sitting near you, so BA can't leave it as it is.

mikeyfly Jul 25, 2022 3:55 am

It will without doubt be resolved at the check in desk. If not at the gate. Don't stress this far out and don't rely on the phone. Another pax or two will be shuffled last minute and given a new boarding pass to resolve this problem

Misco60 Jul 25, 2022 3:59 am

If one of you swaps places with the child then she won't be sitting alone.

If you're hoping that BA will move another passenger in order that you have three seats together you might be out of luck.

ratechaser Jul 25, 2022 4:00 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 34455458)
It will without doubt be resolved at the check in desk. If not at the gate. Don't stress this far out and don't rely on the phone. Another pax or two will be shuffled last minute and given a new boarding pass to resolve this problem

This is undoubtedly true, but of course it shouldn't come to this, that a parent of a young child is facing uncertainty up to the last minute and someone else then also gets shunted around without any warning. And based on the attitude that the OP says they got from a call centre agent, I'd be very tempted to escalate this as a complaint - how anyone at BA doesn't see it as a problem to get sorted out, and is then dismissive to boot, is really beyond me.

If I were in that situation, I'd be fuming...

EDIT: missed the point about there already being 2 people together - so yes there is a partial solution at least, maybe not ideal, but would at least be enough of a fall back to make me more relaxed in that situation...

gms Jul 25, 2022 4:01 am

So it sounds like you already have two seats together for your wife and yourself. So worst case scenario (if they can't arrange three seats together) is that one of you will swap with your child. Child will then be with an adult (and the other adult will have a more relaxing journey in another seat ;))

mikeyfly Jul 25, 2022 4:02 am

Originally Posted by ratechaser (Post 34455467)
This is undoubtedly true, but of course it shouldn't come to this, that a parent of a young child is facing uncertainty up to the last minute and someone else then also gets shunted around without any warning. And based on the attitude that the OP says they got from a call centre agent, I'd be very tempted to escalate this as a complaint - how anyone at BA doesn't see it as a problem to get sorted out, and is then dismissive to boot, is really beyond me.

If I were in that situation, I'd be fuming...

Fuming yes, but it will add unnecessary bother at this stage getting worked up. It will pan out, and it is frustrating for the other passenger(s) that will lose their seats

aidy Jul 25, 2022 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 34455466)
If one of you swaps places with the child then she won't be sitting alone.

If you're hoping that BA will move another passenger in order that you have three seats together you might be out of luck.

I said TS has set in at T-72 as the seats next to us are blocked, but i know the flight is full so trying to get them to fix this before it opens up at check in, preventing this issue

aidy Jul 25, 2022 4:06 am

Originally Posted by gms (Post 34455470)
So it sounds like you already have two seats together for your wife and yourself. So worst case scenario (if they can't arrange three seats together) is that one of you will swap with your child. Child will then be with an adult (and the other adult will have a more relaxing journey in another seat ;))

As its WTP we both took an aisle seat (so one window is free and one middle is free) so she could have either one, but now TS has blocked those, it will be a free for all at check in

Airprox Jul 25, 2022 4:20 am

Originally Posted by aidy (Post 34455476)
As its WTP we both took an aisle seat (so one window is free and one middle is free) so she could have either one, but now TS has blocked those, it will be a free for all at check in

BA could still on the day swap one of you with the child because as far as BA is concerned, across the aisle is considered "next to" for the purposes of seating a child with the required adult, as is one behind the other.

Misco60 Jul 25, 2022 4:21 am

I don't really understand why you thought the window and middle seats would remain free.

Where is your daughter sitting in relation to you?

aidy Jul 25, 2022 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 34455497)
I don't really understand why you thought the window and middle seats would remain free.

Where is your daughter sitting in relation to you?

They are they as bassinet seats, the standard is to move it at T-72, I can see it on EF

Bohinjska Bistrica Jul 25, 2022 4:25 am

We had this problem in CE back in February - middle seat utilised and so the lot of us were split around the cabin, with our three year old between two strangers. We managed to resolve it at bag drop - it was only possible to have Mrs BB moved at the time, but once on board asked to swap with the person next to her, who was happy to oblige.

They'll sort it out at checkin. At the very least, one of you will be seated next to your child. If they can't make the three work, one of you might be able to swap with someone on board (provided they are willing).

scottishpoet Jul 25, 2022 4:29 am

i am not sure why you think it will be a free for all at check in.

Thdrseats will remain blocked until they are needed. they will not open up immediately checkin opens.

while i think this will get sorted you can always ask the person who ends up in one of the blocked seats if they would mind moving

aidy Jul 25, 2022 4:32 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet (Post 34455509)
i am not sure why you think it will be a free for all at check in.

Thdrseats will remain blocked until they are needed. they will not open up immediately checkin opens.

while i think this will get sorted you can always ask the person who ends up in one of the blocked seats if they would mind moving

thats good to hear, im sure all will be ok, im more angry with the CS agent, who dismissed us and was just rude.