Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Rant - paid seat selection: what’s the point?

Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Elite, Hyatt Diamond

So minor issue in scheme of things but incredibly annoying all the same…being lowly bronze flying to Cpt in club on biz points…i pay for seat selection up front and they dump me on the back club row at online checkin.

what’s the point? I know I can request a refund and there are absolutely no free seats. So I am pissed before I even leave the house.

I dislike being at the back for numerous reasons not least slow service, at least it’s still the club suite but that’s not the point.

anyway rant over. Let’s see if any seats open up but I doubt it and let’s see what happens on the return
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Was there an aircraft change or is your seat inoperable? Ba isn’t usually in habit of kicking people out of (prepaid) seating
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Was there an aircraft change or is your seat inoperable? Ba isn’t usually in habit of kicking people out of (prepaid) seating
I don’t think there has been an aircraft swap, still 777 with club suite and no F but possible. The seat map is completely full with no seats to change.

Flight is tonight so may find out later.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive

Expert Flyer is showing four seats as blocked and I can’t seem to find anything for sale for that flight tonight, so could be as mentioned above, that there are / were defective seats. Do any of these blocked seats match what you’d paid to reserve?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EDIwanderer

Expert Flyer is showing four seats as blocked and I can’t seem to find anything for sale for that flight tonight, so could be as mentioned above, that there are / were defective seats. Do any of these blocked seats match what you’d paid to reserve?
Thanks for this, yes, 3a
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:59 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
This route seems to be completely sold out in all travel classes today and for the coming days. So I am guessing that means oversold. If there are unserviceable seats, then that makes matters worse. So if I were in the OP's shoes I would be hoping that my new seat at the back of Club sticks! Some unlucky ones might not have any seat!
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms
This route seems to be completely sold out in all travel classes today and for the coming days. So I am guessing that means oversold. If there are unserviceable seats, then that makes matters worse. So if I were in the OP's shoes I would be hoping that my new seat at the back of Club sticks! Some unlucky ones might not have any seat!
Agreed. Less rant my colleague wasn’t shifted and didn’t pay so she finds it most amusing!
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by gms
Yup -0 inop seat was my primary suspicion here
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:47 am

I have to agree with you OP, I have no clue what the point of paid seating is. I've paid twice for seating with my partner and baby. Both times we have been moved from the front to the rear at check-in. I wasn't best pleased. Got a refund and cursed myself. BA is going down in my book although this could just be how it is to travel with a baby. Being placed at the rear, board last, have issues with the baby bag, and then staff trying to help by taking it away from us to the other end of the plane. Not ideal.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:55 am

Aren’t babies put in special seats with bassinets? I thought some seats were specifically reserved for babies regardless of anyone booking them.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:10 am

Would you rather keep your prepaid seat but find it broken? Maybe no IFE or limited recline? BA can’t win, if they move people they complain, if they don’t then they also complain!
justin_krusty and 1Aturnleft like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Confus
Would you rather keep your prepaid seat but find it broken? Maybe no IFE or limited recline? BA can’t win, if they move people they complain, if they don’t then they also complain!
interesting response which only makes sense as we have more information than when I started the thread.

it’s called communication:”dear passenger, we apologise but your seat has been found to be inoperable for your flight. As we expect to be very busy we have selected an alternative seat for you. We appreciate this is not ideal and if you paid for a specific seat, please refer to x for details on how to get your refund.

we trust you will enjoy your flight.”

hardly rocket science and in the grand scheme of things a minor inconvenience. But it does not take much to turn something into a potential positive or at least reduce the annoyance.

your response does little except attempt to embarrass the passenger that the issue is irrelevant.
ttama, dougzz, BERbound and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PITBULL1K
it’s called communication:”dear passenger, we apologise but your seat has been found to be inoperable for your flight. As we expect to be very busy we have selected an alternative seat for you. We appreciate this is not ideal and if you paid for a specific seat, please refer to x for details on how to get your refund.
I think proactive communication (or proactivity in general) is indeed a major differentiator in level of service quality, and almost free for the company to provide - just requires somebody to care enough to implement these things.

If we're wishing upon a star, I would even go so far as to expect an automatic refund in these cases. The service bought was reserving a particular and specific seat. If said seat cannot be provided for whatever reason (whether BA's fault or not, whether within their control or not), the service has ultimately not been provided, and asking the customer to then spend more of their finite amount of time on Earth filling in forms to get their money back is adding insult to injury IMHO.
ttama and jokerjokerj like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by groenroos
I think proactive communication (or proactivity in general) is indeed a major differentiator in level of service quality, and almost free for the company to provide - just requires somebody to care enough to implement these things.

If we're wishing upon a star, I would even go so far as to expect an automatic refund in these cases. The service bought was reserving a particular and specific seat. If said seat cannot be provided for whatever reason (whether BA's fault or not, whether within their control or not), the service has ultimately not been provided, and asking the customer to then spend more of their finite amount of time on Earth filling in forms to get their money back is adding insult to injury IMHO.
agree but small steps and all that - think of auto delay repay on trains.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by PITBULL1K
So minor issue in scheme of things but incredibly annoying all the same…being lowly bronze flying to Cpt in club on biz points…i pay for seat selection up front and they dump me on the back club row at online checkin.

what’s the point? I know I can request a refund and there are absolutely no free seats. So I am pissed before I even leave the house.

I dislike being at the back for numerous reasons not least slow service, at least it’s still the club suite but that’s not the point.

anyway rant over. Let’s see if any seats open up but I doubt it and let’s see what happens on the return
Before I gained status with BA I discovered quite a "shtick". Book and pay for your seats. Immediately afterwards fill out the seating refund form. A customer service agent once told me that seats are refundable if cancelled within 24 hours of purchase and you'll notice on the form that this is an option for reason requesting refund. You'll receive the refund within about a week and due to BA's IT system the seating will stick.

I did this quite a few times. Only 1 issue I had was when I did it for a flight 6 months out and it went back to me having no seating. About 2 weeks before the flight I did it again, got a refund and the seat stuck.

Works like a charm if you don't have status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.