BA AMS lounge permanently closed

Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Ripe then for a OneWorld branded lounge.
Agreed. Pre-covid oneworld had advanced plans for a bunch of these… I really hope they pick them back up. Schengen vs non is always an issue in Europe though. And the first major launch was planned for DME, so that’s also off the table now. Still, maybe…
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by abligh
I don’t think so. You can add at the very least JFK and SFO.
& PHL
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I feel certain that BA will pull the SAS stunt where they offer lounge access at airline-run locations but not third party lounges.
I flew SK DUB-CPH and despite being in their SAS Plus cabin it only entitled you to lounge entry in CPH but not the third party lounge in DUB.

It makes me laugh to hear Willie Walsh fuming about LHR and how they are treating the hollowed-out version of BA he left behind.
EuropeanPete, 36902BRF and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Am I the only one who always just used PP to go to Aspire anyway? The F&B selection was absolutely dire in that BA lounge.
I'm sat in Aspire now. It's like a zoo at this time of day. Horribly overcrowded, albeit usually slightly better in the afternoon. Food choices extremely limited, although as others pointed out, BA's own lounge was not great on that front. I don't see how the current status quo is an acceptable offering- it's a poor lounge for such a major business destination. Then again, anyone travelling through Schiphol needs their head examined (that includes me). What a dreadful place it is.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
It wasn't much, but was at least slightly less busy than Aspire in my pretty limited experience of both. I do wonder if there's scope for a oneworld branded lounge - there's a reasonable presence and I would have thought sticking it to SkyTeam would have some appeal.
bafan likes this.

Last edited by etiene; Jul 21, 2022 at 2:24 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by stefan_nl
Schiphol was even ever so briefly a IAG base. From april 2019 to Covid it was a Level Europe base.
Level's pre-cursor, "openskies", flew from AMS to JFK from 15 October 2008 until 16 August 2009.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/ne...ams-jfk-route/

Quite a change, though - going from transatlantic all-business to LCC!!!
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:51 am

This is OT but if someone would tell me where to ask it, I’d appreciate it. I have a lounge access question. I’m flying a combo of Club and WT…Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:53 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Barrheadlass
This is OT but if someone would tell me where to ask it, I’d appreciate it. I have a lounge access question. I’m flying a combo of Club and WT…Thanks
I'm going to punt that the answers you're looking for are "Yes, provided it's a transfer and not a stop over", and "No guests unless you have status".

But this is the thread you want: BA lounge access guidelines
Barrheadlass likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:56 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I'm sat in Aspire now. It's like a zoo at this time of day. Horribly overcrowded, albeit usually slightly better in the afternoon. Food choices extremely limited, although as others pointed out, BA's own lounge was not great on that front. I don't see how the current status quo is an acceptable offering- it's a poor lounge for such a major business destination. Then again, anyone travelling through Schiphol needs their head examined (that includes me). What a dreadful place it is.
I guess I go through at the right times as I can't recall struggling to get a seat. Ok often there are no window seats available but I've always found somewhere to sit. Though at AMS I'm generally travelling alone which likely helps.

As someone above stated though, I will happily go and sit at a bar or cafe if the lounge is grim/overcrowded/has poor F&B.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: BA GGL
This points yet more towards BA hollowing out its lounge offerings as a whole. Even CCR JFK will be gone by end of the year. Looks to me like it'll be running central hubs only out of LHR/LGW for cost savings and fewer full-time staff on the score card.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Always thought AMS was quite a classy lounge

Old Jul 21, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
As the previous poster said, food options were dire, but they had Heineken, and a sensational apron view!
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Lol.

So the only BA lounges left outside LHR and LGW are now BHD, EDI, GLA, GVA, LIN and FCO?
Also ABZ
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Yet another nail in the coffin for Club Europe quality and service.
BA are really going to lose out on their business class transfer traffic if they carry on like this . The Club Europe add-on to a trans-atlantic business class seat via LHR is a big shock to many US travellers .
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
For those not bothered about it switching to an Aspire lounge... Have you tried to get into an Aspire/Priority Pass lounge lately?

They seem to have done deals with the holiday companies to sell them out, and having a Priority pass is useless in some places like BHX (I suspect MAN too, we had trouble ages ago, pre covid, so I think will be worse now).

I think you're in if you're flying club, but "cards" might now include BA status, as well as Priority Passes.

That seems to be the most important thing to me about a BA lounge disappearing...
EuropeanPete likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.