BA AMS lounge permanently closed

Old Feb 21, 2024, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Gold
So does look like they've incorporated the toilet area which were outside the BA lounge into the new one world lounge. At least no more need to leave the lounge to use the bathroom.

Also like that the bar seems to have barista coffee ☕😁
HadesNL likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Memory lane

Now that the hour of truth is upon us,
Before this thread is closed and all post will be moved to the OneWorld lounge Amsterdam thread.

A quick small stroll through memory lane so we can compare the
"old"
Spoiler

with the "new " addition:
- OneWorld lounge : tended bar + barrista coffee / own toilet facilities (EDiT add shower: HT: HfP)
- Aspire lounge : enough seats to host peak travel time : designed for singles + pairs

Always fun to compare pre facelift versus post facelift,
Was there liberal use of botox making it lipstick on a pig,
or is the lounge design still prone to trample damage of the great waves of passengers ?

An a trip on memory lane from FT
And especially for CWS
Spoiler

Last edited by HadesNL; Feb 21, 2024 at 9:09 am
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:03 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Head for Points has a full review of the lounge:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2024/0...rdam-schiphol/

It was designed by D/DOCK, a Dutch architecture firm. The companys art director, Jochem Straatman, said:The Amsterdam lounge is a futuristic, vibrant setting that blends open spaces to encourage relaxation, especially as the Dutch skies are omnipresent through the immense windows, which are a fantastic feature of this lounge. With a Travel Bright twist, guests can also experience a mesmerising luminous horizon, theatrically revealed by lifted curtains.

We have delivered a contemporary, premium lounge experience with typologies, fittings and furnishings that pay homage to life in the Netherlands. The lounge experience makes travel simple, relaxing and enjoyable. While this and the Incheon lounge have their own distinct identity, both share the same unique oneworld look and feel, creating a sense of familiarity across our lounges.
HadesNL, TRISTAR1979 and DelTroon like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
We've also got an exclusive at headforpoints on the new Aspire lounge, which also opens tomorrow.

Obviously smaller than it was but looks good and may suit those who want to work more than oneworld - no cocktail bar in Aspire though! There is a bit of a Eurostar lounge vibe about oneworld now I think about it.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Raffles
We've also got an exclusive at headforpoints on the new Aspire lounge, which also opens tomorrow.

Obviously smaller than it was but looks good and may suit those who want to work more than oneworld - no cocktail bar in Aspire though! There is a bit of a Eurostar lounge vibe about oneworld now I think about it.
Apologies if I missed it in the articles, but any idea what the pre-refurb capacities were? Just wondering how much the capacity balance has shifted, vs the assumption that the airline alignment is the transfer of non-Schengen, non-BA carriers from Aspire to oneworld... Since I presume Aspire will continue to be the designated lounge of *A and unaligned carriers from the non-Schengen side.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:28 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Shamelessly copying from Raffles but at least i am doing now a raindance with orchestra in appreciation with hat tipping

If the Non-Schengen Aspire Lounge T3
has a section dedicated to the morning SQ323 Amsterdam to Singapore flight,
than it will reduce capacity at the lounge with at least 42 seats / guests
There are 42 Business Class seats on SQ's A350-900 plying the route.
180 - 42 = 136 vacant spots left for guests.
UA leaves around the same time (EWR IAH ORD) cutting guest capacity even more ....
I think we see priority pass holders + premium credit card holders queing again ....

But numbers can vary as SQ's PPS club passengers are still being invited to the Privium lounge west.

Dutch blurb:
https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...uwing-heropend
&
https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...neworld-lounge

OT:
I can only tell you that the Schengen Aspire lounge has capacity for 150 seats
As well as the Schengen Star Alliance lounge has capacity for 150 guests
https://www.staralliance.com/de/news...&groupId=20184
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Feb 21, 2024 at 8:56 am
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by HadesNL
[SNIP]
I saw the new numbers, I was asking about the pre-refurb capacities to know how much each has changed...
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
When the moderators split my post 18 months ago I wondered whether is was really necessary, we were going to be redirected to the Aspire lounge, a downgrade but it could have stayed in the lounge directory thread. Well 350 posts later it seems to be a nice upgrade after all! Ironically I haven't been to AMS for a while, whilst I was a regular there before covid...
EDDLEGLL and rhysflies like this.

Last edited by alex67500; Feb 21, 2024 at 8:37 am
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGL
Flying through AMS tomorrow for the first time since the pandemic, so will give this lounge a little review tomorrow evening.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:16 am

If it is not to much ...
At Schiphol airport on the wall at each entrance / exit door, there is usually a fire safety emergency floor plan,
Could you snap a photo of the one in the OneWorld lounge so we can get sense of the layout ....?

I might have one of the old Ba loungeand old Aspire lounge for comparison but i wont be home in 2 weeks.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:32 am

Video of the new lounge

Source: https://airwaysmag.com/oneworld-1st-european-lounge/

First Video is out:
layz, hmv, EDDLEGLL and 1 others like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Feb 21, 2024 at 9:38 am
Old Feb 21, 2024, 11:07 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Looks smart. But will it be big enough?
bafan likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 11:22 am
hmv

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Looks smart. But will it be big enough?
I think it will: I don't think there is a big market of transfer passengers since those routes pass mainly through the hubs. BA will be a steady flow throughout the day with CX, AY and AA more around lunchtime and QR/AT in the later afternoon. Also don't forget the layout of the airport: CX, AA and QR are always FGH piers with BA/AY at the D pier > main route from checkin to security and passport control is always on the FGH side and its a steady 10-15 minute walk to get to the lounge from there and back again.

Plus I think quite some Dutch based Oneworld flyers might have access to Privium and their lounge which (based on the looks) is the same level of quality.

Looking at the photos of the Aspire lounge, actually something I notice: the kitchen moved much more to the middle, does that mean that they operate a joint kitchen for both the Aspire and Oneworld lounge, which might result in the same food options at both locations.

Last edited by hmv; Feb 21, 2024 at 11:26 am Reason: Addition.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:04 pm

Should the thread title be changed as it's now open again?
Genius1 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:20 pm

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
Originally Posted by hmv
I think it will:.

Plus I think quite some Dutch based Oneworld flyers might have access to Privium and their lounge which (based on the looks) is the same level of quality.

Indeed. We will check out the new OneWorld lounge but my working assumption is that we will stick with Privium. Maybe there will be less SQ pax once the Aspire Lounge is back up and running :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.