BA AMS lounge permanently closed

Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by a380fan
Another view straight on as we were pushing back. There didn't seem to be interest​​​ in pausing push back so I could get a good photo 😅

Definitely agree on the bar decor aligning with what's in Seoul. Also some of the wall elements here match the coffee section of the Seoul lounge page?
I think that seals the deal, well done on the scoop here.

The oneworld lounge is clearly the right side, since the lighting scheme changes for whatever is on the left, I'm guessing the legacy Aspire lounge, which clearly has a more subdued feel to it compared to the neighbour. There are a lot of overlaps with ICN, however one key thing seems missing the down "pipes" directly over the bar, which I take to be under the first "m" of Amsterdam. On the other hand, from my memory of taking charge of new buildings, it's usually the delicate lighting arrangements that go in last, to protect them from the slings and arrows of intense construction efforts. In other words it looks close to being opened.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
In the left the old BA area? The Mooi globe lampshades and furniture look like the typical BA coffee/tea station, I think?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
In the left the old BA area? The Mooi globe lampshades and furniture look like the typical BA coffee/tea station, I think?
From memory though the Aspire lounge was the one to the 'left' as you're looking at this picture, with the BA lounge on the 'right' (or the other way as you're looking outside from in), so I'm a bit confused by the layouts here. Also the Aspire signage on the middle level is confusing me - is that the stairwell?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:00 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Looks like it... Would match up more or less pre-refit
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
The left hand side in the pushback photo was the Aspire lounge I believe - certainly not the BA fit-out.

The oneworld lounge looks larger than the old BA lounge though, although it could be an optical illusion as there were about 4 column bays.

Last edited by Genius1; Feb 16, 2024 at 2:14 pm
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Thank you for those great pictures!

Indeed it seems that the left hand side (where old Aspire was) will remain separate from the oneworld lounge on the right (where BA used to be).

Im not sure if this is good or bad news. While a separate oneworld-access-rules-only lounge might be nice, I am now a bit concerned about the use of the (very limited) space up there. A combined lounge could have used that space better imho.
Genius1, djsflynn and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
*Ahem* Is that not a higher probability?
Maths was never my strong point, but let's just split the difference and say the chances lie somewhere between zero and bugger all. LOL
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:12 pm

Great catch!

In this pic and t'other we can see a lot of element from the Seoul lounge directly repeated here, such as that semi-circular seating area facing onto the tarmac (and indeed, same lighting)...

... and just beyond it, that round thing (my technical design term).

The other pics shows similar alcoves as where ICN had tea & coffee...

... and prob also a lounge-within-a-lounge plus private 'Zoom rooms'.

The metal feature above the bar in Seoul was intended as a nod to a specific South Korean hat called a 'gat', and the lounge designer said the bar was intended to always be not just a key part of each Oneworld lounge but also a very welcoming part, ideally right where travellers walk in past the reception desk.

Last edited by djsflynn; Feb 17, 2024 at 2:10 am Reason: Added pics
Old Feb 17, 2024, 1:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
So it seems we are still at the status quo,

BA lounge = OneWorld lounge
Non Schengen Aspire lounge = still the same non Schengen Aspire but hopefully better equiped to tackle the crowds

But with what looks a black movable sliding room divider to combine both lounges in 1 space if needed for a specific event / high turnout in guests

Thanks for the scoop
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 2:49 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Keeping my fingers crossed for two weeks time
Old Feb 17, 2024, 3:40 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Keeping my fingers crossed for two weeks time
Youll be good 😉
simonsmith and alex67500 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Gold
I'm also looking forward to end of next month when I will by flying Qatar out of Amsterdam 😁 It'll be my first opportunity to try the One world lounge.

It also seems, that BA was honest when it said "something exciting is happening" all those years ago..... Just took A LOT longer than they expected 😅
Old Feb 17, 2024, 5:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by a380fan
I'm also looking forward to end of next month when I will by flying Qatar out of Amsterdam 😁 It'll be my first opportunity to try the One world lounge.

It also seems, that BA was honest when it said "something exciting is happening" all those years ago..... Just took A LOT longer than they expected 😅
What's exciting about it? Isn't it just the same but re-branded? Didn't OW flyers have access to the BA lounge anyway?

It was originally thought it would be a huge lounge that encompassed the old BA and Aspire lounges. But it doesn't appear to be the case.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Gold
I dunno, I find it exciting. A new lounge is more exciting then the same old lounge. Even if it is short term excitement.

It's also possible that it will have a better food and beverage selection. Being as its targeted at all oneworld. Rather than being targeted at BA and it's short haul flights. With access for other oneworld passengers.

Then again I get excited about most things aviation. I got excited about flying Flub Europe between LHR and AMS during the pandemic on the 787-9. I've flown first on the same aircraft long haul. But it was exciting and different 🤷‍♂️
simonsmith, HadesNL, KARFA and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Nice detective work! I don't pass through AMS all that often but my partner is going to be a very happy bunny.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.