BA AMS lounge permanently closed

Old Feb 14, 2024, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Gold
Yeah, after BA lounge closed and prior to Aspire closing. The Aspire lounge was hosting all premium and elites of the various contracted airlines, giving them priority access over priority pass etc holders. Where I often saw they were quoted 1 hour wait times, while me with BA status was allowed in instantly.

Being as the new lounge is going to be larger than the old Aspire lounge, as it will include the BA lounge space I don't think capacity will be a problem for all currently contracted airlines. As you mentioned priority pass etc may still be low on the priority list though. I also wonder whether the lounge will be even bigger, there was the large hallway/toilet space which now there will be only a single lounge I assume could also be incorporated into the lounge. Putting the entrance right next to the lifts/stairs, giving the lounge even more capacity. This is purely my opinion I have no data to say this would actually happen.

Some airlines could go to the KLM lounge of course, but I think if they were doing that they would have done it already rather than stick with the temporary setup, same with the Privium lounge. I think for pivium only Ethiad or someone moved there. The Privium lounge is pretty small though, so I cannot see them contracting many airlines, as it would compromise the experience they sell.
lsquare and HadesNL like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 3:31 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Indeed SQ for a very short window of time allowed all its passengers to use the Privium West Lounge,
(off peak travel)
Currently only SQ elites: PPS club get access per invitation only. Otherwise LKY would rise again!

I didn't know about Etihad, thank for mentioning !
Also an interesting insight by you, that by moving the entrance direct next to elevator / stairs : lounge surface can be increased.
And extra set of public toilets can be absorbed to satisy the "needs" of the larger lounge.

If i remember prepandemic,
Star Alliance Gold passengers using a different Star Alliance carrier lounge are accounted internally as $35 (now $45),
bill sent to the FFP of their respective Star Alliance carrier granting the status.

So i bet the non-Schengen Star Alliance carriers at Amsterdam,
are only willing to fork out $45 per business class passenger for Amsterdam lounge access:
KLM asking to much,
Privium asking to much,
Aspire undercutting the price to compete on quantity......the only choice left ...

Priority pass might be only offering even less to Aspire so those entering with priority pass / premium credit cards are considered lowest of cash cows ....

But the clear winners are the OneWorld passengers + elite ...
I vote to start a petition that in lieu of the loss ... but in memory of the British Airways lounge,
the new OneWorld lounge should re-introduce 'Chocomel" + "Bifi" in honor of nostalgia !
Upupintheair and a380fan like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 4:38 am

I could be wrong about Ethiad. Maybe it was SQ instead as you mention. I just remember one of them did send people to privium lounge for a little while. It's certainly not common for Privium to allow airlines to use their lounge. It really doesn't have the capacity 😬
HadesNL likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
The bifi and a packet of parika crisps (chips if you are from anywhere else in the world) was my go to pre flight snack back in the day. Oh how I miss that lounge.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:44 am

Programs: BA GGL
Any chance they will let oneworld elites use this as an arrivals lounge?

Not sure what the set up in Seuol is, but in AMS virtually every arriving passenger will pass the airside lounge on their way to arrivals. Would be nice to be able to freshen up before (non-oneworld) onward travel
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
Any chance they will let oneworld elites use this as an arrivals lounge?

Not sure what the set up in Seuol is, but in AMS virtually every arriving passenger will pass the airside lounge on their way to arrivals. Would be nice to be able to freshen up before (non-oneworld) onward travel
i think virtually zero.
djsflynn, lsquare and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
i think virtually zero.
I would query the slight tone of optimism you put into your reply.
NickB, salut0, dnajockey and 10 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by djsflynn
To all this I'll add that a Oneworld exec tells me this next Oneworld lounge (at Amsterdam) is "coming very soon": https://www.executivetraveller.com/o...unge-amsterdam
Might be, might not be ;-)
djsflynn and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
i think virtually zero.
Indeed, I'd suggest the square root of virtually zero.
lsquare and Pigeon49 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 10:15 am

At gate D03, and you can see some of what the lounge looks like from the windows. It's looking good. No obvious one world signs 😅
Old Feb 16, 2024, 10:22 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by djsflynn
Indeed, I'd suggest the square root of virtually zero.
*Ahem* Is that not a higher probability?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 10:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by a380fan
At gate D03, and you can see some of what the lounge looks like from the windows. It's looking good. No obvious one world signs 😅
We need Genius1 to do some further forensics on this, however, look at the lights on the far right, top floor, slightly overlayed with the green emergency light reflection, and then compare / contrast with the Full Service Bar photo below. Excellent photo, well done.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lou...ld-lounges/icn
MaxFlyer, our_kid, Genius1 and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:05 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
From blowing up the image, it does appear as if certain artefacts in both images match up such as the full service bar, the green wall with the round decoration in front of it, the ball lightshades...
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:18 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
From blowing up the image, it does appear as if certain artefacts in both images match up such as the full service bar, the green wall with the round decoration in front of it, the ball lightshades...
Good grief if you can't beleive what you read on the internet what is the world coming to?
IJN Harekaze likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:54 am

Another view straight on as we were pushing back. There didn't seem to be interest​​​ in pausing push back so I could get a good photo 😅

Definitely agree on the bar decor aligning with what's in Seoul. Also some of the wall elements here match the coffee section of the Seoul lounge page?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.