BA AMS lounge permanently closed

Old Feb 9, 2024, 3:51 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
AY, IB are all focused flying in the Schengen zone and as such use the contract lounge Aspire in T1 Schengen

AA, BA, EI, RJ, QR, CX are all focused flying outside the Schengen zone and as such are impacted in having no dedicated lounge currently in T2/T3 Non Schengen
lsquare and etiene like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Feb 9, 2024 at 6:13 am
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Btw, earlier this week when I was there, I asked one of the staff when the lounge will be ready/opening and I was informed expected end of Feb. I guess let's wait and see. Tried to check the status of the renovation physically, but it was not possible to even go up the stairs nor lift to the floor where the lounge is located.

Cheers!
I was told the same. Cafe Flor’s oven is currently (as of yesterday) broken so the food offerings are even more limited. The manager told me she thought the new lounge might open before the oven got fixed!
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by etiene
Not that I disagree with you in general, but the three operators you mention are probably discounted from this discussion - EI aren't in oneworld [yet?] and IB/AY are in the Schengen end of the terminal. AT, RJ, AA, and QR are the relevant additions, with about one flight a day each [two AA in Summer and occasionally two QR on no discernible pattern]. The latter two are widebodies, obviously. It does remain a bit perplexing that a BA lounge couldn't be justified though, I'm guessing the lease came up mid-pandemic and Schiphol weren't giving sufficient discounts to keep it running while things were largely shut down.
Originally Posted by HadesNL
AY, EI, IB are all focused flying in the Schengen zone and as such use the contract lounge Aspire in T1 Schengen

AA, BA, RJ, QR, CX are all focused flying outside the Schengen zone and as such are impacted in having no dedicated lounge currently in T2/T3 Non Schengen
Good point, forgot CX which I believe is still a daily A350.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HadesNL
AY, EI, IB are all focused flying in the Schengen zone and as such use the contract lounge Aspire in T1 Schengen
I think just to note, Ireland is not in Schengen so EI flights to Ireland are from the non-schengen gates. EI passengers would have used the non-schengen aspire, but atm use Cafe Frames which I think is on that one floor below where the aspire was.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:12 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Oops ..
it's been a while since i went on EI to NewGrange and the hill of Tara :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_of_Tara
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newgrange
and ofcourse the rest of beautifull & mystical Bru na Bonne
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brú_na_Bóinne

Thanks i'll correct it
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:10 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
More speculation of a oneworld lounge coming to AMS.Oneworld Lounge Coming To Amsterdam Schiphol Airport? - One Mile at a Time
Old Feb 13, 2024, 11:07 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
More speculation of a oneworld lounge coming to AMS.Oneworld Lounge Coming To Amsterdam Schiphol Airport? - One Mile at a Time
I can't really see that happening. Where would all the non-OW / Skyteam premium passengers go?

Maybe the existing BA lounge would be the OW lounge and the Aspire would continue for the other airlines?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 11:29 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
From the article:

‘Amsterdam is of course a huge hub for SkyTeam member KLM, which dominates the airport. Meanwhile Star Alliance operates its own lounge at the airport, and now oneworld plans to operate its own lounge there as well.’

KLM has a huge non-Schengen lounge for SkyTeam members.

So it would make sense if the old BA and Aspire lounges merged to create a new oneworld lounge IMHO.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 2:27 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
‘Amsterdam is of course a huge hub for SkyTeam member KLM, which dominates the airport. Meanwhile Star Alliance operates its own lounge at the airport, and now oneworld plans to operate its own lounge there as well.’

KLM has a huge non-Schengen lounge for SkyTeam members.

So it would make sense if the old BA and Aspire lounges merged to create a new oneworld lounge IMHO.
The Star Alliance lounge is in the Schengen area, so not used by the long haul airlines out of AMS.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I can't really see that happening. Where would all the non-OW / Skyteam premium passengers go?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who cares
Old Feb 13, 2024, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Given the big blogs are now on it, I think it’s OK to post this.

This is from a document posted in a public part of the airport near the works area, taken a couple of months ago, detailing the plans for the building works. It might be the first non-rumour confirmation that it's a Oneworld lounge?

I have a provisional opening date, but I’ve been asked to keep it quiet in case of more delays. It shouldn’t be long.
​​​​

Old Feb 13, 2024, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The Star Alliance lounge is in the Schengen area, so not used by the long haul airlines out of AMS.
It’s a shame the *A lounge isn't used for long-hauls. Wish things were different. Why did they make that decision? Why not build in the non-Schengen area?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
It’s a shame the *A lounge isn't used for long-hauls. Wish things were different. Why did they make that decision? Why not build in the non-Schengen area?
Probably because there are a lot of Schengen Star Alliance airlines within Schengen:

- Lufthansa
- Swiss
- Austrian
- TAP
- Agean
- LOT
- SAS
- Croatia

So Schengen star alliance is really strong, and as these are short haul probably higher frequency than Star Alliance long haul. So makes sense to optimise and invest in the experience in Schengen. OneWorld is different, as there is only Iberia and Finnair in Schengen. BA is probably the biggest ( in terms of frequency ) OW airline, and obviously non-Schengen.

In regards to other non-OW airlines, even if the lounge is branded OW. Doesn't mean that other airlines wouldn't negotiate access. It's not uncommon for airlines to use lounges of competitors, especially when no other options exist. I flew from SFO not long ago, and notice that Qatar uses the Air France Lounge for example.
lsquare, the810 and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 1:14 am

To all this I'll add that a Oneworld exec tells me this next Oneworld lounge (at Amsterdam) is "coming very soon": https://www.executivetraveller.com/o...unge-amsterdam
lsquare and Tobias-UK like this.

Last edited by djsflynn; Feb 14, 2024 at 10:05 am
Old Feb 14, 2024, 3:02 am

Might be that the OneWorld lounge non-schengen Amsterdam sets rules to keep capacity manageable ( conform +max occupancy set by firebrigade)
- all OneWorld premium passengers + elite by default access
- non schengen Star Alliance Business Class passengers by standard negotion contracts per non schengen star alliance airline (some might wish to negotiate with Privium west or Crowne lounge 52 if the price is right)
- Star Alliance elites are just free game to bar & deny access (designation contract lounge so no access)

- Priority pass + premium credit card holders are getting the chop for sure and lounge access is revoked for those nonSchengen Amsterdam departures. Unless it might be in off peak times or virtual q with max time limit occupancy.

Interesting times,

Heads up who's going to the grand opening!

Mix & mingling with the celebrities,
Amsterdam Schiphol airport has been so abysmally dull lately in the lounges,
Finally time to meet live and humbled by the gods & titans of OMAAT, VWTW, GSTP, LL, TPG and HfP.
With a dash of Dutch Insideflyer, luchtvaartnieuws, Business Traveller / Executive traveller.
I do love myself a celebrity gathering !

I can charter press and invite
Dutch Showbizz queens; Connie Witteman, Patty Brard & Patricia Paay
Or
Dutch triad of shrewd Professional widows : Rachel Hazes, Monique de Bouvrie, Isa Hoes
to give act de présence to get tout Hillywood - het Gooi in residence.
(Heel Blaricum loopt uit !)

Like Helen Sharp once remarked, Madeline Ashton will go even to the opening of an envelop
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Feb 14, 2024 at 4:01 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.