Quick Turn in DUB Advice

Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:00 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I’d say you need nerves of steel for same day turns at a lot of European airports these days - unless it’s definitely a same plane turnaround where you’re dropped in the departure area.

Personally I’d view it as a day trip to Dublin and leave as early as I practically could: ~8.30/9.00 out and return at 7-8pm. If anything goes wrong lots of alternate options like EI at Heathrow or even FR from somewhere. If you don’t have a good plan B, C and D it could be very stressful!

Pre-Covid I had an evening departure from LCY to AMS cancelled (overnight before ex-EU) and was on the verge of scrambling across to LHR for the last KLM of the day before BA rebooked me on their last LCY flight - and not everybody got rebooked, GGL status got me called to the front to be given my new BP (but everyone’s risk tolerance is different)
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by londonba2014
Piggy backing on this as thinking about doing a daytrip to Dublin one weekend in the next few weeks - I don’t suppose anyone has experience of passing through at 1900 on a Saturday evening and the queue situation?

Realise it’s of course subjective, but handy to know if anyone has prior experience!
Saturday night is one of the quieter periods of the week, it's why you often see cheaper fares for then. Personally I wouldn't be concerned. Get to the airport about 2 hours before flight and you should have ample time, I would say.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by londonba2014
Piggy backing on this as thinking about doing a daytrip to Dublin one weekend in the next few weeks - I don’t suppose anyone has experience of passing through at 1900 on a Saturday evening and the queue situation?

Realise it’s of course subjective, but handy to know if anyone has prior experience!
I went through at about 19:00 on a Saturday earlier this month and was through security in about 2 minutes.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:22 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Dublin Airport's app also has Security wait times for T1 & T2 and I believe is reasonably accurate (for normal security) so it can be worth keeping an eye on it.

Pilot37
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
saw this up thread:

Since we are already staying at a hotel in London, I plan on flying to Dublin with only my wallet just to begin our booking originating in DUB.
I’d make sure to take documents that prove your eligibility to enter the USA for the whole of your itinerary and not just stuff relevant for the CTA. I haven’t had experience with this, but I do wonder if it’s possible that you might have a problem checking in for the DUB-LHR segment if you can’t prove in DUB that you can travel on to the USA as well.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by stifle
Regardless of the CTA, Ireland systematically checks passports/IDs of arriving travellers from the UK.

If arriving at terminal 1, it will be necessary to re-clear security. If arriving at terminal 2, it will not – and there's also dedicated passport checkpoints. So if one is worried about security delays, booking your first LON-DUB on EI is an option to consider.
Yes, just had that today. Arrived on Ryanair and leaving on BA- both T1. No flight connections- had to go out and round- took about 35mins. My BA boarding pass wouldn't let me through as too early but they manually over rode it when I explained I was transiting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.