Quick Turn in DUB Advice

Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by bisonrav
People often worry too much I think. Dublin is well served and has very frequent flights from the London airports. It would be quite low down on my worry list, and you have options like same day change if things were to get tricky.

There seem to be good weekday options out of LCY (seems the 1555 return is weekdays), a 0910 which would be ideal timing. Weather is a possible issue, but if there's wind which is the main problem you'd probably be swapped to Heathrow I guess and they'd have to give you time to get there.

Worth baring in mind that same day change not valid between LCY and LHR. Also valid on BA only. Looking at tomorrow theres one BA fligh available that would get to DUB in time for the LCY.

I dont know if there are others operating and full and therefore not showing. But last weekend all flights full in each direction Sat and Sun due to a number of reasons so if flights are full same day change wont be possible.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I know what I would do and that is to make a day of it. I'd travel to DUB in the morning and have lunch - and come back to DUB to catch the flight to the UK - if an early start does not suit,m what's tp stop you going the day before you flight from DUB to LCY?

I think that fast turnarounds are highly suspect at the moment - it would only take one cancellation and your award is in jeopardy
I think this might work best. Is the airport far from the city itself? I have also never been to Dublin so what should be my top choice for lunch?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:34 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
I think this might work best. Is the airport far from the city itself? I have also never been to Dublin so what should be my top choice for lunch?
No, indeed if you preferred there are quite good hotels near the airport. Nothing is that far in Ireland - Dublin Airport is less that 30 minutes from the City Centre. I last stayed at a Holiday Inn on O'Connell Stree is bang opposite the Bus Stop to go to the airport - whilst there is a dedicated bus, I use the public bus as it is much cheaper and takes about 5 minutes longer as it makes more stops.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
No, indeed if you preferred there are quite good hotels near the airport. Nothing is that far in Ireland - Dublin Airport is less that 30 minutes from the City Centre. I last stayed at a Holiday Inn on O'Connell Stree is bang opposite the Bus Stop to go to the airport - whilst there is a dedicated bus, I use the public bus as it is much cheaper and takes about 5 minutes longer as it makes more stops.
I don't think a hotel would be necessary. I'll just grab an earlier flight in the morning and have lunch in the city. Any restaurants or eateries in Dublin I should try?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:42 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
I don't think a hotel would be necessary. I'll just grab an earlier flight in the morning and have lunch in the city. Any restaurants or eateries in Dublin I should try?
Ill leave that to Trip,Advisor as I do not know Dublin well enough. I do not often lunch there so I am no expert.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Not masses of time in Dublin to eat, but maybe consider Swords?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
We overnighted in Malahide, some nice eateries there, we did use a taxi though. There is a public bus.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Regardless of the CTA, Ireland systematically checks passports/IDs of arriving travellers from the UK.

If arriving at terminal 1, it will be necessary to re-clear security. If arriving at terminal 2, it will not and there's also dedicated passport checkpoints. So if one is worried about security delays, booking your first LON-DUB on EI is an option to consider.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stifle
Regardless of the CTA, Ireland systematically checks passports/IDs of arriving travellers from the UK.

If arriving at terminal 1, it will be necessary to re-clear security. If arriving at terminal 2, it will not and there's also dedicated passport checkpoints. So if one is worried about security delays, booking your first LON-DUB on EI is an option to consider.
That is very interesting. So taking EI would allow me to remain airside by flying into T2?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
I guess this is a stupid question but, you can check bags in half way through your itinerary then ? And, crossing London and checking in bags at LHR would seem to be the biggest headache to me. I’d rather do all of the check in at DUB, personally…
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bafan
I guess this is a stupid question but, you can check bags in half way through your itinerary then ? And, crossing London and checking in bags at LHR would seem to be the biggest headache to me. Id rather do all of the check in at DUB, personally
The ticket is DUB to LCY and then an overnight in London before connecting to LHR-LAX the next day. We're going to be staying in London so bags and everything will remain in the hotel room until we leave back for the US the last day.

For all BA knows, I got to London for my overnight and went HAM shopping at Harrods :P
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by bafan
I guess this is a stupid question but, you can check bags in half way through your itinerary then ? And, crossing London and checking in bags at LHR would seem to be the biggest headache to me. Id rather do all of the check in at DUB, personally
Its not a stupid question, but yes its absolutely possible to check in bags at any point of the itinerary, it doesnt have to be the beginning. And in this case, Id be doing exactly the same as the OP - with an overnight connection Id almost certainly ask to short check them anyway as Id need overnight stuff out of the bags.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
re DUB, for what it's worth, it took me 15 mins from leaving the aircraft to being back in the lounge (i.e. through passport and security (no queue at all at fast track this morning)).

Had built a WFH from the lounge 6 hour buffer into flights and absolutely fine.
Pilot37 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I agree with the above - B2B at Dublin is high risk at the moment.

I arrived on Tuesday morning. As you enter the passport area, there are e-Gates immediately on the right which UK passport holders can use. There was no queue here. The baggage hall was a bun fight. About 100 people clutching receipts queuing at the help desk where two staff appeared harassed. Police were nearby to preserve the peace. There were abandoned bags everywhere and it felt like a third world airport.

On the return, the airport felt more like the Celtic turnstiles at Ibrox for an Old Firm game. Yellow jacketed marshals at every door barking at people. "This queue to check in. This queue to security". Everyone had to show their boarding passes to be allowed entry with people arriving too early being turned away. The check in area was chaotic with queues everywhere obstructing movement around the terminal. Everywhere, staff were barking orders at passengers. Not an easy job I accept but acting like you were trying to control a rowdy football crowd who were looking for a fight was never going to win friends.

Fast track security was ok. It took me about 10 minutes in total to get into the terminal and to the lounge at 11am on Thursday. The lounge was packed with hardly any seats. Refreshments were an improvement on Pre-Covid. Boarding was equally chaotic with around 40 passengers needing "extra time" to board. I appreciate not all disabilities are visible and that gate staff do not want to get into an argument, but is there any policing of this call? With no jet bridges, we were forced to wait at the foot of the stairs where another official with a yellow jacket man handled my arm to take my phone off me - a phone that I was talking on. He shouted at me that I was stupid and can I not see their is refuelling going on all around. I asked him to take his hands off me so I could hang up and he ran off to shout at someone else on their phone.

I understand that it cannot be easy for anyone working in an airport at the moment. But anyone who thinks it is ok to talk to belittle passengers should go an take a leaf out of the book of the only pleasant person I came across at the entry to fast track security. She was delightful and full of Irish hospitality.

On board, BA at its best with a great crew.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Piggy backing on this as thinking about doing a daytrip to Dublin one weekend in the next few weeks - I dont suppose anyone has experience of passing through at 1900 on a Saturday evening and the queue situation?

Realise its of course subjective, but handy to know if anyone has prior experience!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.