Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Where would you fly for a day trip within the UK?

Where would you fly for a day trip within the UK?

Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by BLHD
Is this fare still showing for you?
Sadly, no. You have to be fairly quick with these and it can be cat and mouse. I also looked at the 7th and 14th and they've gone up.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:31 pm

I cant be doing with that tacky stretch in Edinburgh with the Christmas market. Salzburg it aint
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: Qantas; Virgin Australia; Le Club Accor; Marriott
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Sadly, no. You have to be fairly quick with these and it can be cat and mouse. I also looked at the 7th and 14th and they've gone up.
No, I thought there may have been a trick I.e search through Skyscanner or Momondo but wasnt getting any luck.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'd also highlight the recently re-opened Burrell Collection in Glasgow, closed since 2016. I've not been yet, but it looks like a grand job was made of the new set-up.
Was just at the Burrell Collection today but only had time for a very brief visit. It was fantastic. For comparison for those who know NYC and London, its like a cross between The Cloisters (incredible medieval art collection inside a building containing some wonderful bricolage of medieval architecture), The Frick collection (wealthy magnates personal collection of eclectic art) and the Morgan Library (wealthy magnates personal collection in a pleasant and airy modern building) but set inside a park that feels like a bit like Hampstead Heath (picking berries and walking through woods).

I said today Id like to go back and spend the whole day: bring a picnic to eat in the park for lunch, wander around the grounds in the morning, see some art after lunch and finish up with tea and cake at the cafe (looked nice but had closed by the time we left the exhibition).

Definitely fantastic in the summer. The park would be less charming but probably fun for an energetic rainy walk in winter if you found somewhere nice to have tea or a more fortifying drink afterwards.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by perryman
Belfast for me too. On my last trip I took the Black Taxi Tours of the divided areas of the city. I thought I was politically clued up but there were some real interesting eye-openers on the tour. I took it at the end of the trip and just added on the drop off to BHD. Titanic Tour, a good lunch in one of the many good bars, ended by the Black Taxi tour. Wasn't there in winter so can't confirm/deny any Christmas market involvement.
BHD is within spitting distance of the Ulster Folk Museum, a wonderful collection of 17th-20th century rural and urban dwellings, complete with real-life basket weavers, loom operators and small-scale agricultural animals (pigs, chickens). The museum has a wonderful rural location overlooking Belfast Lough, and offers a great insight into the island's rural past (e.g. turf cutting), its Irish and Scottish roots, its deeply engrained religious history, early encounter with the industrial revolution and shift to modernity (e.g. early cinema, bicycle repair shop, rural physican's surgery). Nearby is the Ulster Transport Museum, for fans of vintage cars, trains and planes. For both:

https://www.nmni.com/Ulster-Folk-Museum/Home.aspx

It's possible, but not necessary, to book tickets in advance. Shortly before Christmas, there are carol services in the two churches that form part of the Fol Museum, for which tickets (bookable online) are necessary.

From BHD to either or both museums, take train or taxi or walk/run (around 4.5 miles). For train, walk straight out of terminal building, a small minibus/van is just outside to the left. It provides a courtesy shuttle to "the halt" (i.e. Sydenham railway station). BHD is a small airport so that courtesy shuttle doubles up as the car parking attendant and the security patrol i.e. don't be surprised if it doesn't look like a shuttle. Or walk out of airport main entrance, turn right and walk to Sydenham railway station, about 7 mins walk, crossing the busy A2 via the pedestrain bridge. Take any train in the direction of Bangor. Cultra (for both museums) is the second stop. Fare is 3.80. Buy ticket on train, noting that the the train conductor's ticket gadget works only on sections of the track on which there are no overhanging trees.

To walk/run, turn left out of BHD main entrance and proceed 4.5 miles. The first 2.5 miles (to Holywood) isn't great. At Holywood, shift onto North Down Coastal Path for the remaining 2 miles along the beach. Or take above train to Holywood (first stop) and walk/run from there.
perryman and rjhcambs like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by jmd
October would be a different matter - generally the weather is still lovely here then and you can do a tour of the nice wine bars and restaurants, plus a walk on the beach
Good to hear!

I'm looking forward to the day trip I've booked from LHR to JER in October.
jmd, T8191 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by southsquare
BHD is within spitting distance of the Ulster Folk Museum, a wonderful collection of 17th-20th century rural and urban dwellings, complete with real-life basket weavers, loom operators and small-scale agricultural animals (pigs, chickens). The museum has a wonderful rural location overlooking Belfast Lough, and offers a great insight into the island's rural past (e.g. turf cutting), its Irish and Scottish roots, its deeply engrained religious history, early encounter with the industrial revolution and shift to modernity (e.g. early cinema, bicycle repair shop, rural physican's surgery). Nearby is the Ulster Transport Museum, for fans of vintage cars, trains and planes. For both:

https://www.nmni.com/Ulster-Folk-Museum/Home.aspx

It's possible, but not necessary, to book tickets in advance. Shortly before Christmas, there are carol services in the two churches that form part of the Fol Museum, for which tickets (bookable online) are necessary.

From BHD to either or both museums, take train or taxi or walk/run (around 4.5 miles). For train, walk straight out of terminal building, a small minibus/van is just outside to the left. It provides a courtesy shuttle to "the halt" (i.e. Sydenham railway station). BHD is a small airport so that courtesy shuttle doubles up as the car parking attendant and the security patrol i.e. don't be surprised if it doesn't look like a shuttle. Or walk out of airport main entrance, turn right and walk to Sydenham railway station, about 7 mins walk, crossing the busy A2 via the pedestrain bridge. Take any train in the direction of Bangor. Cultra (for both museums) is the second stop. Fare is 3.80. Buy ticket on train, noting that the the train conductor's ticket gadget works only on sections of the track on which there are no overhanging trees.

To walk/run, turn left out of BHD main entrance and proceed 4.5 miles. The first 2.5 miles (to Holywood) isn't great. At Holywood, shift onto North Down Coastal Path for the remaining 2 miles along the beach. Or take above train to Holywood (first stop) and walk/run from there.
Not forgetting the Dirty Duck in Holywood for a meal and a pint.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Another vote for NCL and Durham. I was a student at Durham 20 years ago so it has been a good choice for a few days trips over the years to get me over the TP line.
lcylocal likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:36 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Originally Posted by Grace B
Good to hear!

I'm looking forward to the day trip I've booked from LHR to JER in October.
Ill keep my fingers crossed for the weather! Please PM me if you need any suggestions for food/drink or places to go.
Grace B likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Thanks again guys! Some excellent Attractions and food/drink options listed, much appreciated.
onlynik likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: DC *S
Naive question. Do the discounted crystal tickets qualify for normal status benefits (lounge blocked seat etc)?
Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TPRun
Thanks again guys! Some excellent Attractions and food/drink options listed, much appreciated.
What did you book?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joeninety
Naive question. Do the discounted crystal tickets qualify for normal status benefits (lounge blocked seat etc)?
Thanks
Yes
but blocked seat isn't a published benefit
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Crystal tickets can be added to your BAEC account in the normal way, same as any OTA, add a booking in MMB and from there add your BAEC number. You can do seat select, you get your airport benefits. You won't get POUG offers, you can't upgrade with Avios, you may find it difficult to get a refund (no experience with Crystal who may well be fine, this is general OTA experience). You will get Avios appropriate for your status level and TPs. Crystal do incidentally offer discounted J tickets too.

One thing worth remembering is that these are cheap because the underlying BA ticket is cheap. For an extra tenner or so you can book direct. It's just a lot of fun having a really cheap flight, it sets off the silly grin reflex.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.