Drone spotted on approach to LHR

Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I'm not sure why you are so unwilling to just agree to disagree, has an element of that shakespearean quote about protesting too much. I agree with others that colour of your tone is far too accusatory.
​​​​​​​I'm not trying to accuse anyone but this isn't getting across very well. I do not believe the OP. If you want to believe them go ahead. Fine by me. I've just spelt out why I disagree and as of yet none of fact based points have been refuted
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
And yet you have a commercial pilot who actually flies in to the airport every working day telling you it happens several times a week. Do I need to draw the obvious conclusion here?
So you're telling me that you have experienced this situation? A drone flying within 100m of the aircraft (as the OP described if I remember correctly). If that's the case presumably you would report it to ATC. ATC would then do what? Business as usual? I highly doubt that.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:09 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
I'm not trying to accuse anyone but this isn't getting across very well. I do not believe the OP. If you want to believe them go ahead. Fine by me. I've just spelt out why I disagree and as of yet none of fact based points have been refuted
Why does he have to refute your borderline rude assertions? It's not coming across very well as you are so persistent with an argumentative tone. Answer Jumbodriver's point - or is he lying too?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So you're telling me that you have experienced this situation? A drone flying within 100m of the aircraft (as the OP described if I remember correctly). If that's the case presumably you would report it to ATC. ATC would then do what? Business as usual? I highly doubt that.
I have made my point. I think this is the stage at which you need to stop digging.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Why does he have to refute your borderline rude assertions? It's not coming across very well as you are so persistent with an argumentative tone. Answer Jumbodriver's point - or is he lying too?
Already answered
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I have made my point. I think this is the stage at which you need to stop digging.
So this is what people tend to say when they run out of points. The only point you made is that this happens frequently. I do not deny this. Most of the measures in place are to catch the perpetrators rather than pre emptive. And for the hundredth time if a drone was sited there would be delays in operations whilst it is investigated. If you are a commercial pilot you of all people should know that drone sittings don't go lightly. Please explain this: if there was a reliable drone sitting why was there no police response as per a previous poster? Why was there no investigation by ATC? Drones can be incredibly dangerous and as common as they may or may not be, it's not "hey look there's a drone". There are procedures to be followed and none of this has happened in the OP's case
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:16 am

Anyway, I've said what I've said. Each person is entitled to their own opinions and if you can't argue based on facts and logic rather than emotions than there really is no point continuing. That and I have a flight to catch. KARFA, you flying in the middle East by any chance?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
​​​​​​​I'm not trying to accuse anyone but this isn't getting across very well. I do not believe the OP. If you want to believe them go ahead. Fine by me. I've just spelt out why I disagree and as of yet none of fact based points have been refuted

Last edited by GGLwannabe; Jul 18, 2022 at 6:19 am Reason: Point already dealt with
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Clearly the OP needs to get his eyes and sanity checked, JumboDriver is not a real pilot (or maybe even a person!), and the world is one big conspiracy! (sarcasm may apply!)

I would choose to trust a highly trained professional flying in and out of the airport in question, as well as the OP (who I am sure is highly skilled as well, just that I do not know their background )
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
I would be interested to know your response to Karfa's point above
Already responded
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think this is the point at which I step in and suggest we move away from the points already made, since my perception is that all sides to the core argument have expressed their views, other readers can pick and choose accordingly. Drones are a potential menace, there are ways to deal with them, we don't know much more about the specific incident at this point other than as originally reported. I don't see much point in going around circles, even if that can be the real life outcome.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Blue
Drones are reported very frequently at varying altitudes and positions.

Just check out the airprox reports here

https://www.airproxboard.org.uk/repo...rprox-reviews/

I have no doubt at all that the passenger saw a drone.
Well done for informing the crew.
flygirl68 and MatJarosz like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Id be very surprised if that Pan Am 747 wasnt clear - we are going..

Id be very surprised if they shut down the wrong engine..

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Jul 18, 2022 at 8:23 am
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
It's also worth pointing out that the geo-fencing can very easily be circumvented with software updates (both authorised and unauthorised), so I wouldn't put much faith in geo-fencing stopping someone who wanted to fly a drone over an airfield from being able to do so.
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:24 am

Yes, I have had a drone closer than that, in fact the CAA classed it an act of God that it didn't hit the aircraft. It was on climb out on a Brookmans Park departure, level at 6000ft at 250 knows IAS, it slipped over the right wing, it looked to be about the size of a football. The energy if an impact would have been quite large. We believe it got swept over the wing after "bouncing" on the air as it was rising over the wing.

So yes it happens and note often than youd think.

It is also possible that it was something else. So your eyes see stuff and your brain processes that information and puts it in a model you can comprehend. It is perfectly possible that the OP saw something else and believes they saw a drone ( and quite probably did) but is also possible that it was something else and that has been subconsciously translated into a drone.

Personally I have no reason to distrust the OPs report and from personal experience of Heathrow do not think its that unusual.

It is also worth nothing we are frequrntly warned of drone sightings by ATC on approach to LHR. These report are passed on from pilots who have seen the darmed things as they flew the approach, the LGW thing was a different set of circumstances
Jimmie76, HIDDY, PETER01 and 9 others like this.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Jul 18, 2022 at 7:56 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.