Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drone spotted on approach to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
The OP stated that the drone’s rotors were clearly visible for 90 - 120 seconds. But you know better.
The OP said 90-120 seconds before landing. Not that the drone was visible for that long.

I stand by my opinion that this COULD'VE happened but I don't think it did due to Heathrows counter measures and the fact that it would have a big impact on operations, none of which was reported.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 18, 2022 at 12:50 am Reason: Remove personal attacks
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
At that time before landing the flight would have been over Windsor at between 1000-2000ft and around 170kts. It can be hard to judge distance in any situation, so I would suggest the actual separation may have been significantly more.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Originally Posted by DaveS
At that time before landing the flight would have been over Windsor at between 1000-2000ft and around 170kts. It can be hard to judge distance in any situation, so I would suggest the actual separation may have been significantly more.
We were well past Windsor as we were a good deal closer to the ground. The white drone was very close, hence the glance was fleeting, probably only for a second at such a close distance but this gave me a close up view. If it were further away I would have been able to watch it track across for longer. Nevertheless, it was crystal clear that it was a drone and I immediately exclaimed the fact to my fellow passengers. For the record, and for any doubters, I'd had a large dry lunch in Budapest, had also eaten in the lounge without alcohol and had only had one can of Speedbird IPA with lunch onboard early in the flight. The visibility outside the aircraft was excellent. I can only report what I saw.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Jzlerner
I stand by my opinion that this COULD'VE happened but I don't think it did due to Heathrows counter measures and the fact that it would have a big impact on operations, none of which was reported.
Please describe the LHR counter measures that are in place as you seem to know a lot about them.
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold
The Windsor comment above threw me there. We came in from over London, hence I hadn't seen Windsor.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:43 am

As I said it's entirely possible although unlikely. If it did happen I'm wondering why it wasn't spotted by Heathrow. It can't have been spotted otherwise flights would've been delayed/diverted and it would make the news very quickly. So the fact that no action has been taken is why I don't think it happened
it’s not unlikely. It happens several times a week at LHR.

ATC are never aware until it’s reported by a pilot. I think you have a bit too much confidence in the countermeasures tech.

Even if there’s some in the immediate vicinity of LHR, 90 seconds is 4 miles away anyhow. The idea that they are triangulating the drivers is cloud cuckoo land I’m afraid.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Jul 18, 2022 at 1:50 am
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I said I don't want to say the OP is lying but I think it's unlikely.
Those were not the words you used, and words colour the sentiment you express. I think that colouring is what put some contributors' backs up.

Not trying to call the OP a liar but this story doesn't seem to be true.
Without evidence to refute the OP's claims, and bearing in mind the convention that we avoid questioning the veracity of claims made in a post, it's probably better not to use a rhetorical device that invites us to doubt the evidence reported by the OP.

Maybe better to suggest alternatives to explain what was reported rather than rely on a sketchy understanding of the scope and scale of drone defences to refute the OP's evidence and conclusions.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC
I had no idea it was as frequent an occurrence as Jumbodriver reports.
I assume it’s all hobbyists rather than people with malign intent. What idiots to do this so close to a major airport.

Edited to add, it really is unedifying to pile onto the OP. After all they’re not suggesting powering a hot dog maker pooling power from 6 seats or printing off their thesis whilst eating breakfast in a lounge.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:31 am

When I flew EDI-LHR in early June, the police met the plane on landing because the pilot saw a drone on descent. So I believe the OP.
DelTroon and Delboy65 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Please describe the LHR counter measures that are in place as you seem to know a lot about them.
I have described them earlier
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
it’s not unlikely. It happens several times a week at LHR.

ATC are never aware until it’s reported by a pilot. I think you have a bit too much confidence in the countermeasures tech.

Even if there’s some in the immediate vicinity of LHR, 90 seconds is 4 miles away anyhow. The idea that they are triangulating the drivers is cloud cuckoo land I’m afraid.
Heathrow restricted areas and geo-fencing is one mile radius and 5 miles on approach at both runway ends. So 4 miles would likely be in. I have confidence in countermeasures as they are high level tech that shouldn't fail. And triangulation is the simplest part. 2 radio towers pin the source. Essentially the lines between each tower can pinpoint the location of the pilot

Last edited by Jzlerner; Jul 18, 2022 at 6:04 am
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Those were not the words you used, and words colour the sentiment you express. I think that colouring is what put some contributors' backs up.

Without evidence to refute the OP's claims, and bearing in mind the convention that we avoid questioning the veracity of claims made in a post, it's probably better not to use a rhetorical device that invites us to doubt the evidence reported by the OP.

Maybe better to suggest alternatives to explain what was reported rather than rely on a sketchy understanding of the scope and scale of drone defences to refute the OP's evidence and conclusions.
Perhaps I didn't mention this but my understanding is not "sketchy". I have directly worked on projects like this at other airports
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by JamieT
When I flew EDI-LHR in early June, the police met the plane on landing because the pilot saw a drone on descent. So I believe the OP.
This is the main reason I do not believe the OP. In the OP's first post they mentioned that unless the pilot was literally looking the opposite direct they would've seen the drone. So as this poster says the plane was met by police. Presumably there was some investigation of only minor. In the OP's case, no police, no investigation, no change in operations at LHR and no news stories. When drones are reliably sited they cause huge problems for airports leading to delays, cancellations and diversions. Undoubtedly it would make the news. In the OP's case this was dismissed with the bat of an eyelid. That's why I think it was unlikely. 1) because of the counter measures. 2) even despite the counter measures a drone sitting would massively affect operations. This did not happen
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:04 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I have described them earlier
I'm not sure why you are so unwilling to just agree to disagree, has an element of that shakespearean quote about protesting too much. I agree with others that colour of your tone is far too accusatory.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I have confidence in countermeasures as they are high level tech that shouldn't fail.
And yet you have a commercial pilot who actually flies in to the airport every working day telling you it happens several times a week. Do I need to draw the obvious conclusion here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.