Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

Live from Gatwick

Live from Gatwick

Old Jul 17, 22, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Live from Gatwick

Queue to get into terminal but well policed and moving slowly. Oddly, if you had not checked in you didnít have to queue and could walk straight to check in desks. I was no checked in so no wait for me!

Fifteen minutes to get checked in (Silver desks). There were four or five agents but many family groups with lots of luggage. Silver queue moving much faster than Gold one.

Straight through security, no wait.

No queue at lounge.

Smooth experience today.
Old Jul 17, 22, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Todayís champagne

Todayís pie: chicken and mushroom
Old Jul 17, 22, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Entitlement much.

Never understand why they donít take people from the front of the Gold queue at any desk until thereís no queue, then Silver and so forth.
Old Jul 17, 22, 8:02 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
Queue to get into terminal but well policed and moving slowly. Oddly, if you had not checked in you didnít have to queue and could walk straight to check in desks. I was no checked in so no wait for me!
What? So if you were checked and ready to go to Premier Security you had to queue to get in the Terminal? I simply fail to understand that. Were all those people waiting to get through Security - it does not make sense,
becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 17, 22, 4:30 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
I am confused - are there different queues for silver and good at LGW? Been a long, long time since Iíve been there without a BP on my phone. Do you mean first and club queues?
Old Jul 17, 22, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch View Post
I am confused - are there different queues for silver and good at LGW? Been a long, long time since Iíve been there without a BP on my phone. Do you mean first and club queues?
Yes there is at check in. All premium passengers go through the gateway together then there is a small A4 size sign directing gold card holders into a separate tensa barrier queue.
Old Jul 17, 22, 6:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
When we went through LGW on Saturday afternoon, the showers at the BA lounge were still non-operational following the burst pipe - despite Gatwick assuring passengers on Twitter the situation had been fixed that morning.

Check-in queue time was okay, but I do wish they had sprung for a whole third agent. Fast track security was quick, lounge almost deserted.

Last edited by groenroos; Jul 17, 22 at 6:07 pm
Old Jul 18, 22, 2:36 am
Original Poster

I wanted this to be a few live comments so just one brief reply about queues.

On entering the terminal from the open concourse there was a queue extending about two thirds along to enter the main departure building. In width it occupied half the walkway; the travellator was not working and cordoned off. Being England everyone joined it, the great and the good as well as the first time flyer! Staff were walking along the queue telling those who had not checked in to skip the queue and walk straight in. So, if you were a GGL for life Prem who had checked in you queued but if you were making your first ever flight to Benidorm, and were wondering what check in was and how you put your six cases into the aeroplaneís boot, you skipped that queue

Once inside the departure building small signs directed Gold/Silver/F/J passengers to those check ins. Within that area further signs and tensa barriers separated sheep from goats. The goat queue was moving much faster than the sheep queue!

I know nothing of Y/Bronze/Blue check in.
Old Jul 18, 22, 6:54 am

Chicken pie, mash and gravy in this heat? Looks good but maybe on a cold winterís day!
Old Jul 18, 22, 8:34 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by lcylocal View Post
Yes there is at check in. All premium passengers go through the gateway together then there is a small A4 size sign directing gold card holders into a separate tensa barrier queue.
no first check-in desk anymore, of course Ė since this class is not offered on any services from Gatwick now.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 22, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Door5L View Post
Chicken pie, mash and gravy in this heat? Looks good but maybe on a cold winterís day!
I don't know about Gatwick, but Heathrow was *cold* yesterday afternoon. The aircon must be on full.
Old Jul 18, 22, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Door5L View Post
Originally Posted by adrianlondon View Post
I don't know about Gatwick, but Heathrow was *cold* yesterday afternoon. The aircon must be on full.
Gatwick was similarly cool yesterday.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Aug 3, 22, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
How's Gatwick looking on a Friday morning for check in? We've got a long haul flight, and would check-in the cases the night before, but our flight leaves shortly after 1pm, which is the deadline ... We are wondering if to stay in a hotel the night before rather than rush down to Gatters (90 min drive etc) for an early afternoon flight if the Qs are going to be long ... as we want to enjoy lounge time too ... We aren't flying until Fri 2 Sep though, so maybe the madness will have quietened down by then as kids hols rush is over?
Old Aug 4, 22, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Just through Gatwick this morning. Check in for LCC flags is heaving, BA gold wing bit quiet from what I could see, fast track extremely quick. In the lounge 10 mins after arrival.
Old Aug 4, 22, 9:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
Just through Gatwick this morning. Check in for LCC flags is heaving, BA gold wing bit quiet from what I could see, fast track extremely quick. In the lounge 10 mins after arrival.
Thatís good to hear. Heaving is ok if it moves quickly. Itís standing in a Q for the best part of an hour which tests peopleís patience Ö would be interested to hear anyoneís experience tomorrow morning - Friday. Checkin particularly.

Search this Thread