New UK Aviation Passenger Charter

Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
New UK Aviation Passenger Charter

The Aviation Passenger Charter sets out what you, as a passenger, need to know about your rights and responsibilities when flying.

The charter breaks down your journey into stages, to help give you the information you need to:
  • plan and book your trip
  • travel to and through the airport
  • take your flight abroad
  • return to the UK
  • get special assistance to help you travel
It also covers what you can reasonably expect from your airline, travel agent, tour operator and airport, and what you can expect if things go wrong.

There is also a summary document which gives a quick summary of your rights. It links to the passenger charter for further information.

The full text of the charter will be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...senger-charter
T8191, dougzz, AirbusA350 and 11 others like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Given the level this appears to be pitched at, for example:

Always keep your passport and travel documents with you – don’t be tempted to pack them away in your luggage as you will need to show your passport on your arrival.

I question the effectiveness of such a lengthy and impenetrable document. A case of being seen to do something rather than actually doing so...
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Given the level this appears to be pitched at, for example:

Always keep your passport and travel documents with you – don’t be tempted to pack them away in your luggage as you will need to show your passport on your arrival.

I question the effectiveness of such a lengthy and impenetrable document. A case of being seen to do something rather than actually doing so...
The Charter is designed to be a one-stop guide for passengers informing them of their rights, responsibilities and what they can expect from airports, airlines, tour operators, travel agents when flying. Many people don’t have a clue what they are entitled to when things don’t quite go to plan.

There is a summary document which gives a quick summary of passenger rights which is a little less challenging to read: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ssenger-rights
Ghoulish and Scots_Al like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
I think this is useful for the average passenger, maybe not for ‘advanced’ flyertalk types
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Will100
I think this is useful for the average passenger, maybe not for ‘advanced’ flyertalk types
The government is better off just posting a link to flyertalk!
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
It's good to see that the GBŁ UK261 amounts are listed with an applicability matrix. There is no excuse for BA trying to pay €, save in a case where a passenger is also covered by EU261 (as distinct from UK261) and claims € amounts under EU261.

The below information is only relevant to flights covered by UK law and applies to all such flights, however you booked the flight. To be covered, your flight must either:

depart from an airport in the UK on any airline
arrive at an airport in the UK on an EU or UK airline
arrive at an airport in the EU on a UK airline
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by Will100
oh no – not a charter. Has John Major resurfaced? he was absolutely charter mad,
dougzz likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Unlike quite a few here I’m not a lawyer, so maybe just don’t get it. But my general view on anything regulatory is enforce the rules in place, don’t make new rules, charters or guidelines. Give regulators teeth.
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:04 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by dougzz
Unlike quite a few here I’m not a lawyer, so maybe just don’t get it. But my general view on anything regulatory is enforce the rules in place, don’t make new rules, charters or guidelines. Give regulators teeth.
As it happens I think that is what the DfT have done here - made a document collating existing passenger rights.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lcylocal
As it happens I think that is what the DfT have done here - made a document collating existing passenger rights.
I don’t see the relevance of your response.

Where’s the enforcement? If I look at BA they’ve repeatedly and knowingly refused valid 261 claims for years. As often as not you have to use CEDR or MCOL. How does this charter change anything? How does it make an airport deliver a wheelchair in a timely fashion to a disabled passenger?
JimEddie likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by dougzz
I don’t see the relevance of your response.

Where’s the enforcement? If I look at BA they’ve repeatedly and knowingly refused valid 261 claims for years. As often as not you have to use CEDR or MCOL. How does this charter change anything? How does it make an airport deliver a wheelchair in a timely fashion to a disabled passenger?
I agree the - the CAA need to become more robust in my opinion. Being wholly funded by industry is clearly an issue here. I was merely pointing out that as far as I can tell having flicked through it this Charter doesn’t create any new rules.
dougzz likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:17 am

I’ve looked through the guide and I can’t see any mention of downgrades.

Would the section on denied boarding due to overbooking cover it if they have overbooked your cabin (but not necessarily the whole aircraft)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.