Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA vs AA First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
A Good BA crew will make BA F dramatically better than AA F even if it has a good crew
I find I get a good BA crew 90% of the time
I find I get a poor AA crew 50% of the time
Agreed 100%. Unfortunately I have a knack for flying with the 10% BA crew. LHR-JFK First on Monday and I swear the crew shouldn't have been serving economy let alone first. Basic stuff like having to ask for water with my meal, top-ups, explaining why i needed a new glass with a new wine.... They also looked like I was insane when I asked to have a starter, soup & salad. She literally said 'gosh you must be really hungry to have 3 starters.
camdentown likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
A Good BA crew will make BA F dramatically better than AA F even if it has a good crew
I find I get a good BA crew 90% of the time
I find I get a poor AA crew 50% of the time
My crew outbound to BOS were excellent.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:58 am

interesting to read international AA First is to be phased out and be no more as the new AA 787 Business Class gets rolled out. Enjoy it while you can if AA F is your bag…
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gw76
interesting to read international AA First is to be phased out and be no more …
AA First died years ago so this only makes it official.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
On Wednesday I was checking into the Flagship Lounge and I heard the agent say to the couple next to me (presumably in first) that they should try the “Fine Dining”. I hope my guffaw was quiet enough. The couple declined interestingly enough and said they wouldn’t have time.
oxtailsoup likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
On Wednesday I was checking into the Flagship Lounge and I heard the agent say to the couple next to me (presumably in first) that they should try the “Fine Dining”. I hope my guffaw was quiet enough. The couple declined interestingly enough and said they wouldn’t have time.
Big mistake. As bad as AA international First in the air, Flagship First Dining at JFK is the only good part of AA. And much better that what BA offers in the CCR.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
I think AA Flagship First dining is better than anything BA offers in the CCR, so I'm not quite sure your guffaw was justified. But if you mean the ordinary buffet, then I guess I agree since that's a step below what it used to be and what it should be, especially in ORD, DFW and LAX based on my recent visits.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott GfL
JFK Flagship Dining can be hit of miss, I was in there for an AA transcon last week. Arrived around 7am, welcomed, seated, asked what I wanted to drink (tea and sparkling water) given an menu and then... sat there for 15mins while I could hear the staff laughing and joking at the bar area (I was the only person in there) nobody came to take my order or bring a drink. After 15mins got up and got my own drink in the main lounge. To their credit they did realize that I had walked out and came to try and coax me back in to give me their 'world class service'. I said I was happier out in the main lounge as it was quieter there and didn't have the time for their service. (After which the supervisor who had been making all the noise in the dining lounge proceeds to do the same with the staff in the buffet area).
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
100% BA First. I tried AA First but meals where the same as business. Food is terrible on London-USA Routes with AA.
I stick with BA First if i can find a great First BA deal. Crews at BA are always 5 stars.
Also the new BA Business is great with the new suites.
Simonp27 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:26 am

I care a lot more about what happens on the aircraft, than at the airport As mentioned previously, I found the AA food and service sub sub standard. That said, the CX Lounge at LHR is a plus and
where I will dine pre flight in the unlikely event I try AA again.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
AA First is in no way comparable to BA. The seat is fine and the swivel to have a desk looking out of the window is novel but not worth doing again. The service we had was good but the food was dreadful. Flagship first dining in LA was OK but didn’t manage to try the NY effort as we were delayed. The rest of the lounge in NY is a zoo and if you go to the wrong one you’ll have to pay for drinks. It’s just not premium.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:28 pm

AA First is awful. I flew back from Dallas. They served warm Prosecco pre take off because “we’re not allowed to open champagne on the ground” and the champagne they did serve in the air was warm and cheap (£20 bottle). Food was poor. I also flew First SFO-JFK - they ran out of champagne.

BA First on recent flights - super premium champagne (both brut and rose) plus an English sparkling, and the food was excellent IMO. It may not be Emirates, but it was still excellent and much better than my recent Qatar Q Suites experiences - I found Qatar lacking in so many respects.

Anyway, all first world problems and I know I probably sound obnoxious, but I’m just saying what I felt. Avoid American at all costs if you have BA as the alternative.

Last edited by Wapps68; Aug 26, 2022 at 6:33 pm
Old Apr 21, 2023, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC
I’ve had mixed experiences on AA first ranging from rather frosty service to downright amazing. You can make up for some pretty ordinary food by just being friendly without fawning all over passengers. Well today was just terrible LHR-JFK. FA on my side was passive aggressive, occasionally drifting into full on aggressive. Got barked at both meal times to get my tray out and as I was leaning forward to get a book out of the literature pocket, she couldn’t wait the 3 seconds and disappeared to do something else. I’m usually more than happy to get my tray out if I anticipate things but I had no indication meal was imminent. Got one glass of water with first meal. Never got asked for any top up. Never got asked what I wanted to drink with second meal and I rang the bell (which I never do) and thankfully the other FA who seemed cheerful took care of it. Funniest moment was coming back from bathroom and I saw her coming back from J cabin so I held the curtain for her to pass. She was so annoyed and spat out the world’s most insincere thank you.

Jesus this was so bad I am almost tempted to complain. But I won’t. I’d be seriously cheesed off if this was supposed to be a once in a lifetime first class experience. Mercifully we had a rare tail wind and arrived well over an hour early.

Definitely sticking to BA for day flights from now on. I guess AA still works on eastbound flights especially if you can get a decent meal before at LAX, MIA or DFW. Still quite like the AA bedding and seats for sleeping plus the dinner service is usually lightning fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.