Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LIVE! British Airways disruption 15 - 19 July 2022 - Heatwave edition - get help here

LIVE! British Airways disruption 15 - 19 July 2022 - Heatwave edition - get help here

Old Jul 20, 22, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by IMH View Post
That doesn't seem unlikely, although the delay reason for the flight they were denied boarding on (BA8493, 3h 23m late) is listed as ZY.

What I don't understand is why it took until almost three hours after the scheduled departure time to deny boarding to a number of passengers in order to get the weight down. Apparently 12 checked-in passengers were left without a ride. Finding this out sooner would have given them more time to decide what to do (and got them and their bags out of the airport, improving the situation there for everybody else).

KARFA wrote above that reducing loads in hot weather is a known summer phenomenon at LCY, so it shouldn't have been a surprise to BA. (Yesterday's temperatures were extreme, but not entirely unexpected.)
Whilst your friends were indeed offloaded due to the weather, the cause of the delay it appears was two fold and you have correctly identified the main culprit, a lack of staff. The aircraft was carrying over an hours delay in any case from previous flight(s). It would appear there was a lack of manpower to process the turnaround.

It is frustrating when a known reduction and offload has to occur and it isnt processed until seemingly the last minute. I mentioned previously in a thread about this issue in FLR that one potential upside is that if temps were to fall steadily enough due to the delay then more passengers might have been accepted, it appears though that this was not the case.

I wont criticise BAs Fuel Policy as it is inherently safe and exceeds the legal minimums, however there are times when more (but probably not all) pax could have been carried and all legal requirements met. I know from others who work in the loco sphere around the world that this is in fact the case in their airline operations. Predominantly it is to save cost but the irony in this case is that it could have meant more weight carried. As a pilot though I wont argue it, we like fuel!
Old Jul 20, 22, 3:36 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond; Meli & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Sigwx View Post
It is frustrating when a known reduction and offload has to occur and it isn’t processed until seemingly the last minute.
[...] one potential upside is that if temps were to fall steadily enough due to the delay then more passengers might have been accepted
That's a good point and I've experienced it happening over the course of an evening at DFW, more than once. But I don't think it was something anyone should have been expecting in London yesterday, mid-afternoon...

I spoke to my friends this morning and got a fuller account. It seems that volunteers were called for, and compensation/accommodation offered, but that final decisions to offboard non-volunteers were only taken during the boarding process.

On a more positive note, despite experiencing their time at the gate as somewhat chaotic, the passengers did receive information in writing about compensation ("DBC I" -- what's the "I" here?).
Sigwx likes this.
Old Jul 20, 22, 3:38 am

On a more positive note, despite experiencing their time at the gate as somewhat chaotic, the passengers did receive information in writing about compensation ("DBC I" -- what's the "I" here?).

I believe the I is Involuntary.
IMH likes this.
Old Jul 20, 22, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
KARFA wrote above that reducing loads in hot weather is a known summer phenomenon at LCY, so it shouldn't have been a surprise to BA. (Yesterday's temperatures were extreme, but not entirely unexpected.)
I suspect it's down to proabilities and what is 'acceptable'. Ideally they should have plans for (example) 45C tempetatures, but if that only affected 50% of the flights 0.01% of the time, do they (economically) care?
Old Jul 20, 22, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Discovery Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Gold,
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
So the Tuesday evening report.

One extra cancellation on the day today
BA1452 to EDI

Plus at the moment the late NCL, due at 21:10, is even later, and is shown as leaving LHR at 00:08, so 3 hours late there.

Which means that 246, arguably 247 aircraft ran today.

- 54 ran on time or the last few flights are expected so to do. On time of course means up to 15 too
- 5 flights ran early (just a few minutes)
- 179 services ran at least 15 minutes late, so 72% of all operating flights
- average delay 1 hour
- median delay 52 minutes

Delays over 2 hours today:
[]
BA0099 LHRYYZ 17:05 22:15 05:10
Would somebody be so kind as to supply the delay code / reason for BA0099 please? I had family on that flight and (per contemporaneous announcements) it was a catalogue of disasters ranging from tech issues with the cabin cooling, delayed crew members and finally the airbridge not retracting without a push from a Land Rover so BA are to my mind definitely on the hook for the full EC261 compensation but can a claim also be made for reimbursement of the taxi fare from YYZ to downtown Toronto due to late arrival at 00:56, long after the UP Express shuttle had closed for the night?
Old Jul 20, 22, 6:35 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by southlondonphil View Post
Would somebody be so kind as to supply the delay code / reason for BA0099 please? I had family on that flight and (per contemporaneous announcements) it was a catalogue of disasters ranging from tech issues with the cabin cooling, delayed crew members and finally the airbridge not retracting without a push from a Land Rover so BA are to my mind definitely on the hook for the full EC261 compensation but can a claim also be made for reimbursement of the taxi fare from YYZ to downtown Toronto due to late arrival at 00:56, long after the UP Express shuttle had closed for the night?
DOBA99/19JUL
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 99 -1 TU 19JUL22
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

LHR ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 2230
DELAY ZO
LEFT THE GATE 2233
TOOK OFF 2302
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 0106 YYZ
YYZ AIRCRAFT LANDED 0055
ARRIVED 0106
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 99 -1 TU 19JUL22
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LHR 1705 TU JCDRIWETYBH/M 788 7:50
KMLVSNQOG/M
YYZ 1955 TU 7:50
COMMENTS-
1.LHR YYZ - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.LHR YYZ - DEPARTS TERMINAL 5
3.LHR YYZ - ARRIVES TERMINAL 3
4.LHR YYZ - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.LHR YYZ - SECURED FLIGHT
6.LHR YYZ - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
7.LHR YYZ - CO2/PAX* 296.07 KG ECO, 592.14 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
788 J 35 W 25 M 154

ZO is operational delay from memory, so we'll see what BA argue when you submit the EC261 claim.

Pilot37
Old Jul 20, 22, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Discovery Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Gold,
Originally Posted by Pilot37 View Post
DOBA99/19JUL
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 99 -1 TU 19JUL22
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

LHR ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 2230
DELAY ZO
LEFT THE GATE 2233
TOOK OFF 2302
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 0106 YYZ
YYZ AIRCRAFT LANDED 0055
ARRIVED 0106
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 99 -1 TU 19JUL22
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LHR 1705 TU JCDRIWETYBH/M 788 7:50
KMLVSNQOG/M
YYZ 1955 TU 7:50
COMMENTS-
1.LHR YYZ - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.LHR YYZ - DEPARTS TERMINAL 5
3.LHR YYZ - ARRIVES TERMINAL 3
4.LHR YYZ - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.LHR YYZ - SECURED FLIGHT
6.LHR YYZ - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
7.LHR YYZ - CO2/PAX* 296.07 KG ECO, 592.14 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
788 J 35 W 25 M 154

ZO is operational delay from memory, so we'll see what BA argue when you submit the EC261 claim.

Pilot37
Thank you very much, I already warned my Brother-in-Law that BA like to play silly b*****rs and instantly reject valid claims so hes prepared for a battle so lets see what happens.
wrp96 and Pilot37 like this.
Old Jul 20, 22, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Hello

I am wondering if anybody can help re/ my problem:

So I've landed yesterday from NUE and was told to fill out a paper from and go home. No reference number or anything received. The outstation in NUE doesn't seem to be on FLY (you cannot even check in online) and I got a somewhat strange luggage tag with says 'limited release LONDON UNITE' and the tag number starts with 532 1P and six then numbers. I wanted to claim for toiletries but unfortunately the system likes me to report the bag as missing first, which I can't do, as the system doesn't like the 1P number.

So generally, will I get a text or an email at one point with an update/ reference number? Or I just wait for the best? I am wondering if anything goes wrong and I would like to check status but I can't even report the bag as missing myself (I hope the guys at the airport will do it). Plus, moving home next week and it seems I have no chance to change delivery address....
Old Jul 20, 22, 7:47 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond; Meli & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
I am wondering if anybody can help re/ my problem:
Maybe add this to the thread you started earlier (here) about your missing bag(s)? I've suggested to the mods that they may wish to move this latest question for you.
Old Jul 20, 22, 7:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So generally, will I get a text or an email at one point with an update/ reference number? Or I just wait for the best? I am wondering if anything goes wrong and I would like to check status but I can't even report the bag as missing myself (I hope the guys at the airport will do it). Plus, moving home next week and it seems I have no chance to change delivery address....
You can't get very far without the reference number. You said in the other thread that you had left a paper copy of your details at LHR, so that should be updated. However in your shoes I would ring the specific baggage number and see what they have on the system and then get them to create a reference and thus WorldTracer record. They open at 06:00 so that may be the best time to call. Generally home coming trips aren't open to claims for the reason already explained.
Old Jul 20, 22, 8:11 am

You can't get very far without the reference number. You said in the other thread that you had left a paper copy of your details at LHR, so that should be updated. However in your shoes I would ring the specific baggage number and see what they have on the system and then get them to create a reference and thus WorldTracer record. They open at 06:00 so that may be the best time to call. Generally home coming trips aren't open to claims for the reason already explained.
Thank you - sorry for another post on this but we are now missing our car seat/ stroller and about halve of our baby clothing so I am on young parent panic stations!

Ill try to call them at 6am.
Old Jul 20, 22, 9:40 am

Programs: BONVOY Titanium, Hilton, AAdvantage Gold, UA Silver, Jet Blue
We flew BA1444 LHR to EDI on 7/13 for the Open. Flight ran late. Lots of apologies. Bags delivered safely to carousel at EDI.
Flew BA1441 EDI to LHR on 7/18 and it was chaotic. Bags not delivered to T5. Seeing some horrific tweets and articles about luggage and golf clubs piled up at EDI.
We have a claim that was filled out at LHR. We flew back to the states yesterday. Did find the claim online and it says still looking for our bags.
Spoke with a fellow passenger on Monday who also went up to the Open Wednesday and some of his friends never received their bags for the 5 day duration of their trip. Yikes!
Wondering how long we wait before submitting replacement claims. Wish I hadn't packed my Open merch!

Lesson learned - Always use carry on and only gate check. If you must check, use air tags!
Old Jul 20, 22, 9:45 am

As an update, if someone is interested: Gave it a try at 330pm UK time and reached someone after 45min. Took us another 35min to set up a missing bag claim as the system unsurprisingly could not do anything with the strange non-standard tag numbers. At least, I have now my reference number! There wasn't anything in the system about me so my paper form hasn't been processed.

As usual thanks to C-W-S.
Old Jul 20, 22, 12:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As an update, if someone is interested: Gave it a try at 330pm UK time and reached someone after 45min. Took us another 35min to set up a missing bag claim as the system unsurprisingly could not do anything with the strange non-standard tag numbers. At least, I have now my reference number! There wasn't anything in the system about me so my paper form hasn't been processed.
OK, don't get too excited, there isn't a lot more you can do. Hopefully WorldTracer works, and at some point you can transfer your contact address to the new salubrious residence Weyside way. From other posts, the range appears to be 3 to 6 days in the Heathrow zones. It has to go off to (probably) DHL and they then handle the delivery process. Essentially a waiting game.
Old Jul 20, 22, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
T3 is in total meltdown today. The queue stretches along half the terminal along the checkin area, goes up the escalator At checkin G, then enters tensa barriers stretching most the terminal length with 3 lanes in parallel.

Upstairs they pull people forward who might otherwise miss their flights, downstairs no such luck.

If this is the capacity constrained Heathrow, then the regular would have been unsafe indeed.

Search this Thread