Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What makes a great lounge -pick the best attribute from your lounge experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What makes a great lounge -pick the best attribute from your lounge experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
1). Massage/facials (miss the Elemis spa)

2.) Lux showers

3). Dedicated help desk.

4). Gourmet local food.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:28 pm
formerly rt23456p

1) Mutilple lounges in different locations of the airport
2) Proper hot food served, in the Domestic 3U lounge in CTU, they have a contract with a nearby restaurant which they will offer passenger free hot meal prepared by that restaurant
3) Large space of different seatings
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by MNLFlyer
This. Sadly it’s not something I’ve seen at any lounge I’ve visited thus far. I’d love a place in which to go for a short stroll or do a bit of planespotting out in the open air (apart from the usual terminal observation decks, that is).
United lounge at LAX. Grab a glass of shampoo (I did not say chambers, or bubbles 😝, though it’s probably Prosecco, rather than Champagne) and sit out on the open air terrace and watch the aircraft pass by.
MNLFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by TangoOneSeven
i was actually thinking the Escape lounge in RNO too when I read the thread title. The only lounge in RNO; although small (ok, very small) is usually not crowded and staff are very nice. No toilet or showers either but def. have felt safe enough leaving my bag etc there when I went across the hall to the toilet.
Yes, same idea. It’s much like seat upgrades. The premium economy exit row seat might not be the lap of luxury, but it might feel like that if it was your escape from a middle seat in regular coach.
TangoOneSeven likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:08 pm

Some of the lounges in ABZ have been known to have Irn Bru from time to time. That is the best attribute for me.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Good question. For me, it's the following in this order:
1) top shelf alcohol, especially premium still wines. Failing that, the 3 ingredients needed to make a negroni
2) copious shower facilities
3) a smoking room
4) nap room / rudimentary sleeping facilities
5) desks to work on
Markx likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:09 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Good seating..especially like the chairs in Amsterdam KLM lounge that are wrap around and provide a great deal of privacy and look out over the tarmac.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
The Star Alliance Lounge in LAX is well designed, decent consumables, great staff, excellent showers. The old Turkish IST lounge was...amazing: architecture, facilities, catering, coffee, showers. Staff struggled with English more than one might expect, but overall it was magical. New IST lounge doesn't have the same patina of the culture.

Originally Posted by Andi28
This is not meant to be a which is the best lounge or argument over lounges in general but more what made a particular lounge good in personal opinion, what is the one aspect that makes you smile or still remember a particular lounge.
I have travelled extensively for work and to be honest most lounges blend, even if I have frequented regularly but for some reason some have stood out for silly reasons
obviously I’ll start (not in order of preference)
1. AA LHR T3: I loved the sweet (candy) bar, my inner child was brought straight back to childhood cinema trips with pick and mix sweet bags, when travelling through T3 I still (did) make a point to call in and make a sweet bag (or 2/3) to watch movies on the plane, my guilty pleasure
2. Helsinki airport (not sure of lounge name but on BA/AA stock) had saunas and it was an experience and made me love Finnair even more (service was above the best of IAG by far), the sauna experience was another level of relaxation and made the 5 flight sector relaxing and enjoyable, it was a personal best of 12 flight in 11 days but I did not suffer the fatigue I would normally do, that transit via the sauna both energised and relaxed.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:39 pm

Excellent showers: well-ventilated, clean, spacious and aesthetically pleasing. The Cathay Wing in Hong Kong does this extremely well.

A quiet atmosphere: achieved at Qatar’s Al-Safwa First lounge in Doha, helped by few passengers, but also extensive use of sound deadening materials… if those walls were all stone, it’d be awful.

Healthy meal options: Qantas does this well throughout their network.

Perhaps a bit less healthy, but most impressive food goes to the AF La Premiere Lounge at CDG. The sedan transfers to the aircraft don’t hurt either :-).
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:52 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I want a proper meal so I don't have to rely on the plane food or lack of it (especially on short-haul economy), lots of tables with charging points and space to repack /organise my hand baggage if I need to.

One of the things I dislike about BA in T5 is that often the only place to sit is the armchairs and you have to contort yourself to eat from those tables in between.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:24 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
A little space and relative peace
Somewhere to charge my phone etc
A nice coffee and a snack
But most importantly the interaction with staff

Recently in early May, was travelling back from Bari in Italy.

Popped in to the small lounge by the departure gates

Was greated by a pleasant girl, who recommended some food and snacks.
Then made my coffee and brought it over to my table, along with a glass of wine.
Something she didn't have to do, but just went that extra mile
Then took an interest in where I was going and turns out she used to live in Brighton, southern UK.

She then checked on the other lounge guests in the same manner.
Very pleasant employee and lounge experience
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:26 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Peace and quiet. That is what I want most from a lounge. My fondest lounge memories are of lounges that were a quiet oasis from the noise and stress of the terminal.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I'm easy to please. Reasonably quiet, plenty of chargers, natural light/runway views, and a cup of coffee or a glass of wine is all I need.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I'm easy to please.
My favourite lounges -
The old Concorde lounge in T4
MH lounge in KL
Virtually any Cathay lounge in HK.
QT31415 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I always used to love the two old guys making fresh sushi at the JAL narita first lounge. And the slippers of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.