Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daytime Transatlantic First

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Can someone explain why sleeping is *so* essential? I've never understood this. Why pay so much money to sleep? Every human can have at least one ropey night and still function successfully, so unless you have some mission-critical meeting at the other end, why is being asleep so important? Genuine question: I've never understood why people would pay thousands of dollars/pounds to sleep.

This goes back to what I was referencing above with a JFK flight which was supposed to leave around 8pm, but eventually took off around 9.45pm. By the time we were in the air and they served drinks, most people were requesting their beds making up. I was almost the only one eating. Just perplexed me why people would pay First prices and....go to sleep.

For me, the entire point of travelling First is the experience. From the Concorde room, to seats, to quality of the food, quality of the drink and an excellent start to a vacation.
Some people value a decent nights sleep above anything else. You apparently don’t preferring to eat and drink. Some people need as much help as possible to sleep in a plane. That may mean they need the most comfortable bed and that’s generally in First. On an eastbound heading the flight is so short that if you want to sleep you need to get your head down asap. If you don’t then that’s fine but some of us do.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Some people value a decent nights sleep above anything else. You apparently don’t preferring to eat and drink. Some people need as much help as possible to sleep in a plane. That may mean they need the most comfortable bed and that’s generally in First. On an eastbound heading the flight is so short that if you want to sleep you need to get your head down asap. If you don’t then that’s fine but some of us do.
Completely agree. It’s worth every penny if I can get a good few hours sleep and then function properly at work or get off the plane and drive somewhere safely.
Jimmie76 and endoman like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by chriswiles

For me, the entire point of travelling First is the experience. From the Concorde room, to seats, to quality of the food, quality of the drink and an excellent start to a vacation.
Dont disagree, but if you do F on a long haul flight like LHR/SIN (or return) you can sample great lounges, maximise the onboard experience and also have a long sleep!
LCSinTexas and Lucanesque like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by woodey
The oneworld lounge database isn’t up to date, the JFK CCR is open for the morning flight, it opens at the same time as the BA checkin desks and they serve a breakfast menu. I posted the menu a few months ago in the JFK CCR dining thread. I’ve taken this flight times a couple of times this year and much prefer it to the overnight. If it’s a short trip to NYC I tend to keep my body clock close to UK time, go to bed early, get up early and return with zero jet lag.
Fantastic - thanks for the update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.