Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting T5-T5 Should I go landside?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Connecting T5-T5 Should I go landside?

Hello, need advice please! I have a flight from CDG-LHR-YVR in first class on this Friday (2 hours 45 minutes connecting time). Is it faster to go landside (assuming I can use egate with Canadian passport) and use the fast track back to airside or stay airside and use flight connection. My flight from CDG will be arriving at LHR at 2:45pm if it makes a difference. I am so worried about not able to catch my flight to Vancouver.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I take it you are travelling on the BA85? I don’t know if you’ve been tracking that flight, but like many of the A380 services this one tends to be 60-90-120 mins late departing everyday, which could also help with your connection time,

As it’s into the afternoon, I’d go through arrivals and back through the First Wing
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Before the current issues, if you can use the egates, that's that's what we would have done, exit and go back landslide.

Things slightly different now.

If you have fast track or access to first security, then I probably still would exit.

Unless tight connection.
Markie likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:18 pm

I'm not sure if this will be an ongoing thing though but I read elsewhere that yesterday only the staff in flight connections could reaccomodate you onto alternative flights if you miss your connection as flights are currently zero'd out for sale whilst still having some seats onboard. If you went landside then nothing could be done. Therefore if you've missed or are in any way at risk of missing your connection you should go via FCC (this also applies for tight connections and if you are late but the YVR is also running late as they've got some flexibility on cut offs)
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
2 hours 45 is loads of time to connect in the same terminal, in my experience anything over an hour will be fine for T5.

If you’ve got a Canadian passport then you can use the e-gates. Personally I’d exit via the e-gates and go straight upstairs to the First Wing as that’s usually quicker than going through flight connections.
alancostello likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If your flight is still operating, the e-gates are clear, you have a boarding pass and you have an hour plus before departure, going landside is safe in my view. Flight connections are slower than main security for multiple reasons.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Before the current issues, if you can use the egates, that's that's what we would have done, exit and go back landslide.

Things slightly different now.
I don't follow your point. Using a US passport this past Thursday I was through the e-gates just as quickly as ever. (I also was through F security almost as quickly as ever -- there was a slight delay because I forgot to remove my laptop from its bag -- but that albeit was several hours later because I both went to the Arrivals Lounge and into London before my connection 10 hours later!)
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Point was exiting is good, if you have egates.

Going landslide you may encounter some lines and could, if really right connection, cause some issues if the lines are bad, like they have been recently according to many.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice. I guess I will take my chance to go landside and back through the First Wing if my flight from Paris to LHR is on time.
redpalmetto and Lucanesque like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
And three hours late departing again today. I wouldn’t worry too much about your connection timing !
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Looks like the flight from Paris to London was also delayed for an hour for the past few days and i guess I am crazy enough to hope for my flight to Vancouver will have more than 2 hours delay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.