Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Finding OneWorld Award Flight from YYZ to KTM

Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:22 am
GPS
Original Poster

I have trouble finding many awards on BA's site but this one is probably one of the toughest since it requires partners and at least 1 or 2 stops. Is there another partner site that would make the search for J awards from YYZ to KTM (or even JFK to KTM) easier to find? Is it worth calling into Executive Club and having an agent look for flights? I prefer doing things online but I know the website does not show all possibilities. And I also have points in Aeroplan too if anyone thinks this is a better option for this itinerary. I just have hundreds of thousands of Avios that I cannot seem to make useful.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I would try aa.com, doing a search for JFK-KTM. No AAdvantage account or log-in needed.

You can search separately for YYZ-LGA, if you want to stay on oneworld. (AA no longer flies YYZ-JFK.) A ground transfer from LGA to JFK would be at your expense.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Limited OW options into KTM. QR, CX, UL & MH. Some of those are a political risk.
--->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribhu...tional_Airport
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:54 pm

You could potentially fly YYZ - LHR - DOH - KTM (BA + QR), however, this will likely not be bookable on a single ticket online and would require a call to BAEC. I'd recommend searching these segments separately, noting down availability and flight numbers of the flights you desire and then calling BA to get it priced up. It is possible that it may need to be sent to the fares team in order to be given a quotation and subsequently ticketed.

Another possibility would be YYZ - ORD (or MIA, DFW) - DOH - KTM with AA and QR. The number of Avios required for this would be as per the multi-carrier award chart: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_gb

Again the process for searching and booking would be the same and would likely need time to scour individual segments and piece it together followed by calling BA.

Sadly there's unlikely to be a "quicker" way to do this that I am aware of.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
During summer heavy travel season your options are limited and you have to accept any routing. Probably flying via DOH is your best bet.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:47 pm

You can use sites like seatspy or rewardflightfinder to give you a broad overview of redemption space available on the dates you are needing. Search sector by sector to make life easier for yourself.

I don't know how many seats you're needing to secure but hundreds of thousands of avios may not be enough for what you're wanting to accomplish, especially if on the lower end of hundreds of thousands.

As [MENTION=10078936]AirbusA350[/MENTION] has mentioned, you may find the avios multi carrier award works out more cost effective in terms of taxes and avios for what you're wanting to book as opposed to booking point to point journeys on BA or single OW airlines. The multi carrier award is dependent upon including at least 2 Oneworld airlines EXCLUDING BA operated services and is journey mileage based, although you can include BA into your itinerary in addition to the 2 other carrier rule. The main saving comes from the fact J is calculated at 2x the avios required for Y, as opposed to 3x the avios required on point to point redemptions or redemptions with single carriers. It also allows you to mix cabins so if for example you can only secure Y redemption space YYZ-ORD on a YYZ-ORD-DUB-DOH-KTM itinerary you're able to do so without having to book separately, all be it the overall amount of avios required isn't reduced. Once you've established availability you would need to call BAEC in order to book and obtain tax calculations. I strongly advise steering clear of BA ex NA due to rediculously high YQ surcharges, however.

You can search for multi carrier award on here or find reference to them on other point blogging sites as well as on the BA website.
trooper likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Jul 12, 2022 at 9:01 pm
Old Jul 24, 2022, 7:02 pm
GPS
Original Poster

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. I will try them! I do have unused reward miles in AC, Delta, AA and Alaska as well but I really am trying to get rid of these BA miles I have less use for. It seems like going through a US hub is easier so I'm going to give it a try. So spoiled with nonstops generally but it's impossible to KTM.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GPS
I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. I will try them! I do have unused reward miles in AC, Delta, AA and Alaska as well but I really am trying to get rid of these BA miles I have less use for. It seems like going through a US hub is easier so I'm going to give it a try. So spoiled with nonstops generally but it's impossible to KTM.
With AA AS & BA ff miles/avios they are OW alliance, so same basic partners. Some have out of alliance partners
With so many ffp's be wary of expiry.---->Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.