Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Speedbird Café product range

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Why the annoyance over a tea bag and some hot water ? It’s what every high street coffee shop does - but for more cost !
Not a fair comparison. So many differences in the high street shop offering, where the price paid has to cover :

1. Staff costs (already paid for as part of your air fare)

2. Comfortable seating facilities, both inside or out (ditto as above)

3. An invariably higher-quality end result, served in a china cup

I patronise lots of cafés where I can be sure of a good cup of tea for £2.70 - or less

-
dddc, Sealink and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's not really aimed at those who have fed and watered themselves for nowt in the lounges. Cup of char aside I think the prices are okay.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Is it strange that £2.70 for a Twinnings teabag and some hot water is what offends me the most in this offering.
To be fair, if you buy the "afternoon tea" (that doesn't come with actual tea), you get a discount on the actual tea. So £6.70 for the scone, clotted cream, jam, and tea doesn't seem that ridiculous. Certainly within the range of normal overpricing one expects for onboard food. Hopefully the scone is more than an inch in diameter and you get more than a thimble of cream.

Sealink likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Ripoff

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
But BA don’t. So the price point isn’t too badly placed
looks to me like a total rip-off.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
It's been a while since I travelled in ET. I thought tea was being served for free, along with e.g. crisps?

This menu looks like another BA 'enhancement', I just hope they don't mess around with LCY's offering.

Last edited by ianwall; Jul 12, 2022 at 9:47 am
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Still totally uninterested…
looked over at Jet2 and they have a better menu and even the possibility of preordering real meals for those long flights. Thinking of Amman and Cairo where you get a bottle of water and mini packet of crisp!!!! Oh well!
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Perhaps it’s just me, but I don’t get the outrage over £2.70 for a cup of tea. It’s 2022.
mikeyfly and mnhusker like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Tetley tea is £2.90 on Jet2. Or £1.50 for a cup of hot water.
stewaran, krispy84 and Delboy65 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Stripe
To be fair, if you buy the "afternoon tea" (that doesn't come with actual tea), you get a discount on the actual tea. So £6.70 for the scone, clotted cream, jam, and tea doesn't seem that ridiculous. Certainly within the range of normal overpricing one expects for onboard food. Hopefully the scone is more than an inch in diameter and you get more than a thimble of cream.

Is the scone the same one they serve warmed in CE for Afternoon Tea? I assume the jam and cream are the same if they are like what’s in the picture.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Tetley tea is £2.90 on Jet2. Or £1.50 for a cup of hot water.
my point was not the price of the tea but the range of food Jet2 have both on board and to pre-order. With BA it is sandwiches and one scone. Nothing substantial or interesting for longer flights.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by krispy84
Perhaps it’s just me, but I don’t get the outrage over £2.70 for a cup of tea. It’s 2022.
me neither cause I will never buy one 😂 better spend the money on Prosecco or g&t.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by chrism20
Looks like it’s finally the end of that dreaded tapas box
Oh no, we loved the tapas box! The current one wasn't as good as the previous one but still we will miss it. I see there's a ploughman's which I guess is supposed to be a substitute but it looks far too heavy on the crackers.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
3 different vodkas, 5 gins, even 2 rums - but only one fairly uninteresting whisky?!?!
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by BA6948
my point was not the price of the tea but the range of food Jet2 have both on board and to pre-order. With BA it is sandwiches and one scone. Nothing substantial or interesting for longer flights.

The limited BA range will no doubt fill a gap for a good number of travellers who are just looking for a simple snack to stave off any ‘in-flight hunger’ ; but I’m inclined to agree that the 1970’s sandwiches & pies approach is seriously lacking in both imagination and variety.

When you consider the sort of pre-order meals offered by an ultra-LCC such as Air Asia, the comparison is little short of amazing. Maybe BA feel that their non-British customers in particular will be attracted by this rather simple ‘British’ menu ……. and maybe they’re right …..

That apart, I often wonder just how wise the ‘celeb chefs’ (in this case, Tom Kerridge who I happen to like a lot) are in agreeing to attach their name so prominently to sandwiches & pies (or indeed other foodie items). We all know that, in the sheer volume of what is in essence a factory-like preparation process, a ‘Tom Kerridge-inspired’ sandwich loaded onto the flight will ultimately bear little resemblance to something that he personally would rustle up for say, a family member or house guest. There is always the possibility that chefs can do more harm than good to their reputation / public perception …… but then again the highly-remunerative licensing agreement must be a hard-to-resist temptation.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Speedbird676

I'm glad they highlighted this is for onboard delivery only. I was considering ordering one for delivery to my home
Maybe you get a tub of Lurpak to take home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.