Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR asks BA and other airlines to stop selling tickets for the summer….,

LHR asks BA and other airlines to stop selling tickets for the summer….,

Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Breaking story

New capacity caps imposed until 11 Sept…..

https://news.sky.com/story/new-summe...ember-12650517
becks1 and SxMan like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 12, 2022 at 1:45 pm Reason: Combine three consecutive posts into one
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:09 am

I wonder if this is covered in the Ts and C's anywhere although you would think HAL will be on the bat for the revenue loss. Particularly given the profitability of last minute J/F tickets.

​​​​

What a mess this is.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
This is Heathrow Airport’s official statement:

https://www.heathrow.com/latest-news...2-capacity-cap
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:22 am

"We are ready"

John Holland-Kaye.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
"New colleagues are learning fast but are not yet up to full speed. However, there are some critical functions in the airport which are still significantly under resourced, in particular ground handlers, who are contracted by airlines to provide check-in staff, load and unload bags and turnaround aircraft. They are doing the very best they can with the resources available and we are giving them as much support possible, but this is a significant constraint to the airport's overall capacity. "

That's finger pointing back to the airlines, who are blaming HAL.
Jimmie76, skiaplg, YacozA and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
"New colleagues are learning fast but are not yet up to full speed. However, there are some critical functions in the airport which are still significantly under resourced, in particular ground handlers, who are contracted by airlines to provide check-in staff, load and unload bags and turnaround aircraft. They are doing the very best they can with the resources available and we are giving them as much support possible, but this is a significant constraint to the airport's overall capacity. "

See also "Some airlines have taken significant action, but others have not".

Serious amount of finger pointing in that Heathrow statement.
Jimmie76, wrp96 and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:31 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Cap of 100,000 departing passengers per day, according to the BBC news story: https://bbc.co.uk/news/business-62136022
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:32 am

Anyone know the current or average departing passenger numbers for HAL during regular summer months (2019)? Wondering how significant a cap of 100,000 is. I remember reading somewhere that in T5 in one regular day there were about 5,000 passengers with some kind of status. If it's limited to 100,000 that's 5% of all passengers and only in T5 let alone the other terminals!
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer

I read it more as blaming the ground handlers - Swissport, Menzies, Cobalt you name it - and, yes, incidentally also BA since they have their ground handling function.

HAl are being quite disingenuous (and I'm being charitable here, the word I'd use involve manure and farm animals) because the airlines have already trimmed their schedule to allow for these shortcomings and, crucially, the issues in the past few days have primarily been with baggage engineering (HAL-owned and managed) and security checkpoints for both passengers, crew and goods (HAL-owned). It's as if they were saying that BA flights leaving with no catering are due to DHL not having enough people, while instead the problem is that the DHL trucks are stuck at the checkpoints trying to get through.

Originally Posted by Jzlerner
Anyone know the current or average departing passenger numbers for HAL during regular summer months (2019)? Wondering how significant a cap of 100,000 is. I remember reading somewhere that in T5 in one regular day there were about 5,000 passengers with some kind of status. If it's limited to 100,000 that's 5% of all passengers and only in T5 let alone the other terminals!
The CAA stores that data here. I did a quick check for June/July/August 2019 and, over the 91 days of those 3 months, LHR handled about 22.6m passengers or about 249,000 a day. Now, I don't have the time to check how they calculate people like transits, if they merge arrivals and departures and so on, and what constitutes a "transfer" vs a "terminal passenger" in their calculation, but that's a quick-and-dirty.

BA in 2019 was moving about 60k departing passengers a day from LHR T3+T5, these days it's about 50k.
Jimmie76, MaxFlyer, MH1981 and 9 others like this.

Last edited by 13901; Jul 12, 2022 at 5:43 am
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:40 am

At a rough guess and happy to be corrected here I would say about 80% of BA flights go through LHR. More than any other airline BA stand to lose out here.

Would be interesting to know how many seats this will mean BA can't sell.

Little prospect that BA can move flights to other airports for Shorthaul/Domestics with the notice given.

I wonder if we will also see consolidation of flights particularly Shorthaul based on current sales to mitigate losses. Potentially even using middle seats in CE.

For once I feel for BA in this situation, this is really something that should be subject to parliamentary scrutiny but fat chance of that.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:56 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I think that BA is being penalised for being the main operator at that dump that calls itself Heathrow Airport. That 2 runway Heathrow is a public shame is bad enough but this is the final straw. The Wilson Government chickened out of building Foulness 50 years ago. Not one single runway has been built since the fifties.

So concerned with profit were they that they laid off anyone who knew anything and waited to hire until the last minute. They deserve to be renationalised and if Labour get in they will be. How many times have I seen or read here in recent days about escalators or travalators not working?
BearX220, prof, edinv and 24 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I think that BA is being penalised for being the main operator at that dump that calls itself Heathrow Airport. That 2 runway Heathrow is a public shame is bad enough but this is the final straw. The Wilson Government chickened out of building Foulness 50 years ago. Not one single runway has been built since the fifties.
1970s Build Cublington today!
2000s Build Church Lawford today!
2015s Build 3rd Runway today!
(sorry thread drift)
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Heathrow airport is beyond a joke, worth recalling the £4bn dividends paid out in the 10years pre pandemic, the refusal of the owners to inject capital to support the business in the last couple of years and their insistence on maintaining a return to shareholders by attempting to surcharge airlines to support their revenue shortfalls and pay for capital investment.
The regulator, the CAA, of this monopoly as the UK’s hub airport has singularly failed to be robust enough.
The really shocking thing is I almost feel sympathy for British Airways. A clear argument for nationalising it in my view, a critical part of the UK’s infrastructure mismanaged, bled dry and poorly regulated.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
This is Heathrow Airport’s official statement:

https://www.heathrow.com/latest-news...2-capacity-cap
"The latest forecasts indicate that even despite the amnesty, daily departing seats over the summer will average 104,000 – giving a daily excess of 4,000 seats. On average only about 1,500 of these 4,000 daily seats have currently been sold to passengers"

More flight cancellations inbound to reduce the passengers to 100,000, or just stopping selling new tickets?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:43 am
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
Beyond the headlines there must be significant flexibility and detail behind a "no more summer bookings" mandate. There will be days with projected throughput in excess of 100,000 and days with less than 100,000 plus recent issues anecdotally seem to be capacity issues at certain times/days but not at others. Personally I haven't experienced the LHR meltdown projected in the media when using the airport over the last few weeks. I've seen it stretched in certain pinch points but otherwise a normal LHR experience. Maybe I've just been lucky so far, but I have avoided checking luggage recently.

As a snapshot looking today at BA flights LHR to DUB end of August and prices are lower than they were a couple of weeks ago when only fully flex booking classes were being offered. Today discounted economy and business class is being offered again.
ABZFlyer16 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.