Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Earning TP's on Wet Leased Operated Aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Diamond

After almost 2.5 years of not flying (I was stuck in Australia cut off from the world) I have decided to try to win back my Gold status after just missing the cut off when BA finally protected our status.

My question is whether BA Tier Points can be earned on a Finnair coded flight that is operated by DAT. When booking on the Finnair app the flight clearly states that it is "Operated by DAT for Finnair". I will obviously avoid it if there is no earn attached to it..

There is an article on the simpleflying website (I can't post the link)that provides a bit more background but it seems to be the use of one A320 wet leased aircraft:
Ahead of what it hopes will be a busy summer, Finnair has taken a key step towards boosting its capacity by wet leasing an additional Airbus A320 narrowbody. The aircraft will come to the Finnish flag carrier courtesy of Danish Air Transport, known in short as DAT. Let's take a look at what this arrangement means for the airlines.

An extra A320
Finnair has announced, in a statement published this morning, that it will begin operating certain flights next month using a DAT Airbus A320 on a wet-leased basis. Such an arrangement is also known as an ACMI deal, whereby Finnair will pay DAT for an aircraft, crew, maintenance, and insurance as part of the agreement.
Apologies if this issue has already been discussed elsewhere.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
If it's got an AY flight number you're golden
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Diamond
Many thanks! That seems simple enough.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:11 am

Yes all wetleases are considered "prime flights". So an AY flight operated for AY by DAT is considered an AY flight. Just like how a BA flight operated for BA by AY or IB is considered to be a BA flight.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Yes all wetleases are considered "prime flights". So an AY flight operated for AY by DAT is considered an AY flight. Just like how a BA flight operated for BA by AY or IB is considered to be a BA flight.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:54 am

I hope you are correct , I have been chasing 280 tier points on a flight booked QR but operated by MAS , QR tell me to chase BA and BA tell me they “ Reject “ the claim ( no explanation or e mail ). I have yet to give the G line a call , they have more important things to deal with just now but If you are correct then it seems a bit unnecessary to have to, chase
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by 47Aitken
I hope you are correct , I have been chasing 280 tier points on a flight booked QR but operated by MAS , QR tell me to chase BA and BA tell me they “ Reject “ the claim ( no explanation or e mail ). I have yet to give the G line a call , they have more important things to deal with just now but If you are correct then it seems a bit unnecessary to have to, chase
I make the assumption that by "MAS" you mean Malaysian Airlines (MH). If you meant MH's subsidiaries, Firefly or MASwings, then unfortunately these won't be eligible to earn Avios/TPs via BAEC as they aren't oneworld member airlines or affiliates.

Based on my assumption that you're implying it was MH operated then what you seem to be stating is not a wet-lease arrangement but rather perhaps a codeshare booking as I am not aware of MH currently performing any wet-lease activity for QR at the moment. If it is a codeshare booking, ie. QR coded flight but MH operated, then you will earn Avios and TPs as per the QR's earning chart published by BAEC. Unfortunately, your only way of getting this credited quickly will be by calling the phone line and requesting it. They may ask for your ticket numbers, booking reference and occasionally a copy of the boarding passes also, though latter is usually not required in most circumstances. The online self-service retroclaim form has essentially been dysfunctional for a while now with almost all claims submitted via there going into ether or being rejected. Also QR is correct in advising you to contact BAEC about this and not QR themselves.

If you fail to get hold of BAEC over the phone, then you can PM @BAMissingAvios here and they can assist you also. Having said that in my experience, claims made over the phone have always been credited within a week in all the instances I've raised them via the phone. So yes, whilst there might be more "important" calls relating to cancellations, if you do manage to get through, they will still gladly help you. I called up the other day for a claim in fact and it was credited within 48 hours of my call.

Last edited by AirbusA350; Jul 8, 2022 at 1:20 pm
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:28 pm

Thank you , yes it was MH , and I have the details , fully qualifying fair , have 6 months to claim so will wait till things settle down
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:35 pm

Thank you , yes it was MH , and I have the details , fully qualifying fair , have 6 months to claim so will wait till things settle down
I would just call if I were you. You never know in a few weeks/months it might be some new COVID dramatics somewhere that clog up the lines (sincerely hope not) or the operational chaos may still continue or there may be a new IT failure that clogs up the phone lines. So my advice would be to just "get it done with" and call them whenever you can ASAP rather than delaying. No need to feel "guilty"that they have something better to be dealing with. In fact the agent the other day I spoke to for a claim said it was a huge relief for her to receive a "straightforward" retroclaim request phone call rather than a cancellation related phone call!
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by AirbusA350
I would just call if I were you. You never know in a few weeks/months it might be some new COVID dramatics somewhere that clog up the lines (sincerely hope not) or the operational chaos may still continue or there may be a new IT failure that clogs up the phone lines. So my advice would be to just "get it done with" and call them whenever you can ASAP rather than delaying. No need to feel "guilty"that they have something better to be dealing with. In fact the agent the other day I spoke to for a claim said it was a huge relief for her to receive a "straightforward" retroclaim request phone call rather than a cancellation related phone call!

thank you Airbus 350 , took your advice , now just 2000 short of Gold for life
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I hope you are correct , I have been chasing 280 tier points on a flight booked QR but operated by MAS , QR tell me to chase BA and BA tell me they “ Reject “ the claim ( no explanation or e mail ).
That's not a wet lease, that's a codeshare, and that is an entirely different story.

- Wet lease don't matter. They are considered operated by the wet leaser.

- Code share is subject to the code share qualifying requirements amply discussed on this forum:
* BA coded, operated by anyone = qualifies
* OW coded and OW operated = qualifies (your case here)
* non-OW coded and OW operated = does not qualify
* OW coded and non-OW operated = does not qualify bar exceptions (essentially QF operated by EK).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.