Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First Wing - take hand luggage only or check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Given the on-going delays at the Heathrow First Wing check-in and security but also the baggage system problems, is the advice of those who have travelled that:

1. We should ONLY take hand luggage and thus avoid any delays or problems wth lost check-in luggage?
2. Check in as much as possible so as to limit the amount of hand luggage to be scanned at security?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Flyer26
Given the on-going delays at the Heathrow First Wing check-in and security but also the baggage system problems, is the advice of those who have travelled that:

1. We should ONLY take hand luggage and thus avoid any delays or problems wth lost check-in luggage?
2. Check in as much as possible so as to limit the amount of hand luggage to be scanned at security?
Option 1.
abligh, JD1905, orbitmic and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:33 am

Go hand baggage only. On a recent trip, I checked two bags. Both lost on the way out, and one of two lost on the way back.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:04 am

Hand baggage only. If you’re able to, it’s the best way to travel.
PUCCI GALORE, Fatdickie and Fritz like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Yes there is a risk, higher recently, of bags being delayed but we don't get reports of 10,000 bags being delivered safely, just when 300 get delayed. Same with flight delays and cancellations, same with plane crashes. Bad news is good news for online advertising revenue.
If I was going on a trip that necessitated checked luggage, I would take it.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:46 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Given the on-going delays at the Heathrow First Wing check-in and security ...
Not sure what the "on-going delays" are? I went through the First Wing on Wednesday. Not a single person queuing for check-in. One family ahead of me at security. Clearly there are busier times and quieter times. Yes, some people have been disrupted. Some luggage hasn't made it on to flights. But you only tend to hear from the people it has gone wrong for. The vast majority of people experience no major problems (although delays returning luggage at T5 are worse than normal, but they were never very good anyway!). I've been through T5 three times in the last month. Not experienced any delays at check-in, or at security. Through the First Wing in less than 5 minutes each time.

If I was going on a connecting flight, I would be more hesitant about checking in luggage. But if just a simple one sector flight, then I would go ahead and check-in my luggage if I needed to (obviously if I can manage with just hand-luggage I will do). Yes, there might be a delay in collecting the luggage at the other end and when you get back to Heathrow, but just factor that into you plans.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I'd just do what you need to do. If HBO is easy and doesn't cause you any issues then it'll be quicker the other end, if you need to take enough to warrant checking luggage then I wouldn't hesitate with that either.

Low sample size, but I don't recall seeing any of these 'big problems' on a couple of longhauls in last ~6 weeks & won't be trying to cram suits and shirts into a rucksack for my next one either.
simonsmith likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by gms
Not sure what the "on-going delays" are?might be a delay in collecting the luggage at the other end and when you get back to Heathrow, but just factor that into you plans.
I found LHR to be fairly easy on both my recent flights out the airport. BUT there was an annoying delay with incoming baggage. Our carousel was waiting for two flights to be delivered and the flight from Malaga had already been waiting an hour.

On my second flight, I went hand baggage only and from landing to my car in LHR short term, was less than 40 minutes!
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 4:23 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

I should say that Option 1 should apply in all flying - where posssible/

Baggage is the last great hurdle that airlines have never fully grasped and done anything about. How often have aircraft landed and you spend more time awaiting your possessions than it took to fly there? In Europe that is all of them. I consider that BA's hand baggage allowance is very generous. I have very little time with folk who seem to think that the entire contents of their wardrobe need to be taken anywhere. It takes a little forethought and sometimes it is complicated. When we had to go to Stockholm in February to travel to Hong Kong and them Auckland this proved a challenge. It meant that we had to chose winter clothing that was as compact as possible when folded as apart from Sweden it would not be needed/ We managed it. We have bought Which? recommended cases that fit the parameters set by BA (and most others) and our one personal item is more practical than pretty but we can get everything in . I take one small handbag as I do not keep my life in my hand bag and fortunately I do not suffer from Chanel Gucci Syndrome.

I gave up checking luggage as a passenger when we as crew lost all our luggage on MAN-JFK. We were not amused.
prof, DiamondMile, QT31415 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I should say that Option 1 should apply in all flying - where posssible

I consider that BA's hand baggage allowance is very generous. I have very little time with folk who seem to think that the entire contents of their wardrobe need to be taken

We have bought Which? recommended cases that fit the parameters set by BA (and most others) .
Hi young Pucci

I hope that you don't mind me asking
Do you have details of the cases /bags that you use from "Which"?

I am constantly on the lookout for that perfect case and always interested what others use (get by with)

I have a military style MOLLE rucksack for weekend trips and have a slightly larger 44L Cabinmax rucksack style soft suitcase......

But always on the lookout for something hopefully better and if yours is sufficient for the collection of travel hairbrushes, it must be worth us mere mortals considering.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
We have a US trip planned for the end of the year; 12 Dec to 21 Dec and planning HBO. If you can manage HBO, I would.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
I appreciate that having to schlep ski kit or a wedding dress probably leads inevitably to checked luggage, I nonetheless think that HBO is eminently sensible, a no-brainer even.

As a regular user of LCCs, I think I have the HBO thing down to a fine art now. I have 2 bags - the smaller from Decathlon which is exactly FR's max dimensions (40x25x20) and the larger which is an America Tourister (55x40x20). The Decathlon bag takes 7 days worth of underwear and tops along with my laptop, charger and cables. It's a squeeze but it's doable. For varying climates, I just wear layers then take them off on the aircraft and push into any available space. The Tourister can fit 14 days worth of underwear and tops plus laptop etc.

Added to which, my experience is that in 99% of places you can:
  • get your clothes laundered (at various speeds and prices)
  • borrow an iron to press what needs to be pressed
  • buy shampoo, body wash and other bathroom necessities for really not very much money
When I was travelling extensively for week , including multi-week longhaul, I almost never checked a bag (the exception being pure leisure trips where pre-2020 you could be pretty sure you'd see it again before coming home !!). Admittedly, I was lucky enough to be "back of house" so rarely needed formal outfits, but even so...

Once you've mastered FR, U2 and W6, BA is a complete doddle
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:23 am

use airportr. We got into it when BA were offering it free and now use it every time
They will pick up your bag from home or hotels in and around London. Either night before. or in the morning

https://airportr.com/en/

Then you roll up with hand luggage and see your bag at the other end.
Last week picked up from central London at 7am and checking in at Heathrow by 9.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:50 am

I went to hand baggage only some years back and have never looked back. It is the only way to travel whether I am in F or Y or whatever for so many reasons. At this point I just need one 30L backpack (it will fit under a standard Y seat) and I can operate indefinitely with just that.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Hi young Pucci

I hope that you don't mind me asking
Do you have details of the cases /bags that you use from "Which"?

I am constantly on the lookout for that perfect case and always interested what others use (get by with)

I have a military style MOLLE rucksack for weekend trips and have a slightly larger 44L Cabinmax rucksack style soft suitcase......

But always on the lookout for something hopefully better and if yours is sufficient for the collection of travel hairbrushes, it must be worth us mere mortals considering.
Dear One - you certainly know how to get a girl's attention. I just wish that I could help. The problem is that the Which? test is rather dated now. I bought an Antler Juno - it was less than Ł100 and it scored top. However attempts to find it online have not been fruitful I fear. It actually needs a spot of that stuff in the blue can which lubricates everything on its wheels as it gets a lot of use (I'm sorry but I cannot bring the name to mind.) Ah! WD-40

I like Antler as a brand as the case needs to be light and yet strong, Mine is coloured Incandescent Purple so that if it does have to be loaded onto a small Jet like the ones that Air Nostrum have - I can spot it at once on the tarmac.

I'm sorry not to be of more use to you or others. Edited to add that warpaint and the Hairbrush du Jour are always in my Personal Item. I have Sony XM1000 headphones and one needs to repair the damage to one's coiffure after taking them off.
Fatdickie and Grande Annee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.