Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First Wing - take hand luggage only or check in?

First Wing - take hand luggage only or check in?

Old Jul 8, 22, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC. Silver.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Dear One - you certainly know how to get a girl's attention. I just wish that I could help. The problem is that the Which? test is rather dated now. I bought an Antler Juno - it was less than Ł100 and it scored top. However attempts to find it online have not been fruitful I fear. It actually needs a spot of that stuff in the blue can which lubricates everything on its wheels as it gets a lot of use (I'm sorry but I cannot bring the name to mind.) Ah! WD-40

I like Antler as a brand as the case needs to be light and yet strong, Mine is coloured Incandescent Purple so that if it does have to be loaded onto a small Jet like the ones that Air Nostrum have - I can spot it at once on the tarmac.

I'm sorry not to be of more use to you or others. Edited to add that warpaint and the Hairbrush du Jour are always in my Personal Item. I have Sony XM1000 headphones and one needs to repair the damage to one's coiffure after taking them off.
thanks Pucci

I have never done a week with hand luggage only, but as others have outlined above, once you have done it once or twice it becomes second nature.

Going to try with my cabin max and see how I get on

Cheers FD
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 8:46 pm
Suspended

carry on only, it is so far superior
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jul 21, 22, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin Atlantic, Alaska, JetBlue, Marriott Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by Barnaby100 View Post
use airportr. We got into it when BA were offering it free and now use it every time
They will pick up your bag from home or hotels in and around London. Either night before. or in the morning

Then you roll up with hand luggage and see your bag at the other end.
Last week picked up from central London at 7am and checking in at Heathrow by 9.
Surely this wouldn't get away from the issue of luggage not being loaded onto planes/being stuck somewhere in the airport?
Old Jul 21, 22, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin Atlantic, Alaska, JetBlue, Marriott Bonvoy, Hertz
Curious whether there is any special handling for passengers in CW/F, or bags just as likely to get lost?

It's been a while since I've flown BA but seem to recall some priority on/off loading of bags for higher fare classes.
Old Jul 21, 22, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Flyer26 View Post
Given the on-going delays at the Heathrow First Wing check-in and security but also the baggage system problems, is the advice of those who have travelled that:

1. We should ONLY take hand luggage and thus avoid any delays or problems wth lost check-in luggage?
2. Check in as much as possible so as to limit the amount of hand luggage to be scanned at security?
my advice would be to hbo — but always. Not just now, not just from lhr, not just during this mess. As an air passenger, I feel there is no better option than being a turtle with your house on your back.
Old Jul 22, 22, 12:57 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
FW check in just now - queue of 3 groups of people to check in, checked in 4 bags and through in 10 minutes, in GF and a table for 4 of us no problem. Much less of an issue than I expected
Old Jul 22, 22, 1:25 am
NoY

Programs: BA Gold/Emerald, ITA ST Elite+, EY Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Dia. Amb, Amex Plat
We used First Wing last Saturday morning. We waited 2 minutes to get to check-in. Checked 4 bags (we had no choice but to check lots of luggage). Had no wait to clear security. Got good seats in Galleries First. Boarded a full flight (via a bus) with only a 5 minute hold on the tarmac. All 4 bags were delivered in RUH after waiting about 40 minutes. We expected carnage. Reality was easy. YMMV.
Old Jul 22, 22, 1:52 am

Programs: BA (Gold)
Firstwing at 07:00. Less than 5 minutes wait to check in luggage. Water offered while waiting. Both lanes open at security.
Old Jul 22, 22, 3:58 am

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Starwood LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Plus :-)
Originally Posted by Fatdickie View Post
thanks Pucci

I have never done a week with hand luggage only, but as others have outlined above, once you have done it once or twice it becomes second nature.

Going to try with my cabin max and see how I get on

Cheers FD

Good luck. It is worth the “effort” to travel HBO and it saves so much time and aggro. It also becomes super straightforward with practice.

Personally I am a fan of correctly sized Tumi rollaboards although they’re not at all easy on the eye sadly. Easily big enough for a long trip.

Biggest HBO challenge IMHO is pairs of shoes. Basic advice is wear the bulkier pair on board and only pack max one more pair unless they’re squashy La Portegna type things!
Old Jul 22, 22, 5:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Flyer26 View Post
Given the on-going delays at the Heathrow First Wing check-in and security but also the baggage system problems, is the advice of those who have travelled that:

1. We should ONLY take hand luggage and thus avoid any delays or problems wth lost check-in luggage?
2. Check in as much as possible so as to limit the amount of hand luggage to be scanned at security?
We both check in baggage and take hand luggage on our holidays. But then we've been lucky in never having a bag go missing or not delivered on BA (yet). Hand luggage includes Mrs firstlight's clothes that are in aggregate more valuable than the Montreal convention limit (most people are unaware of this limit to BA's liability) along with her valuables and my medication. I've also taken to hand carrying my hand luggage sized photo equipment roller peli case on incoming flights to lhr just to be on the safe side.
Old Jul 22, 22, 5:36 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Good luck. It is worth the “effort” to travel HBO and it saves so much time and aggro. It also becomes super straightforward with practice.

Personally I am a fan of correctly sized Tumi rollaboards although they’re not at all easy on the eye sadly. Easily big enough for a long trip.

Biggest HBO challenge IMHO is pairs of shoes. Basic advice is wear the bulkier pair on board and only pack max one more pair unless they’re squashy La Portegna type things!
Shoes are the killer. I wear the heels through the airport and have the sensible slip on in the roll-aboard. What I also do is use the space that the shoes take to pack a micro-blow drier. I discovered those packing pods and swear by them. I am sorry that this is going into Omni territory but that wonder of the age Swiss allows 8 kg and were weighing at the gate in Zurich as recently as yesterday. That is reason alone for me never to fly them, BA may be in the doldrums but the hand baggage allowance is generous.
Fritz likes this.
Old Jul 22, 22, 6:01 am
formerly JackDann

Option 2 - Hope that BA lose your luggage and spend some money on new clothes at BA’s expense 😉
Old Jul 22, 22, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
We always try and travel HBO unless on a big / long trip. We've had too many issues over the years where bags are delayed coming out of the hold or just go missing.

We've got a couple of Briggs & Riley International Wide-Body Carry On, had them for years now. They are sturdy and provide loads of space within BA (and other airlines) max cabin sizes
Old Jul 22, 22, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; *Silver
I have a Samsonite D'Lite which I rarely use as it's a bit on the too big side (not for the cabin but for me!). I tend to travel with an ancient Delsey that is much smaller. I very rarely check bags in and it only tends to happen on the return leg when I want to bring home things that aren't allowed in the cabin due to the liquids rules.

Search this Thread