Self connect T3 to T5- risk minimization

Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Self connect T3 to T5- risk minimization

Hello all

On Wednesday I am transiting HBO from a VS arrival into T3 to a BA departure from T5. 3 hour connection time and it’s crucial I make the flight.

Last time I connected it took over an hour to get through T5 flight connections security and fast track was closed. I assume it’s still like that or worse now, and I also understand it takes a long time to get the airside transfer shuttle from T3 to T5. So if the inbound is delayed I could have an issue.

Do people think it could make more sense to go through the border at T3 and then get a train or even a taxi (if this is possible?!) to T5, where I can use Fast Track security?

Would be grateful for any advice or ideas!
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
T3 is in a worse place than T5 at the moment. So if you are eligible for the UK Border e-gates you could consider going airside to T5 in the usual way but then using the UK Border, going upstairs to departures via landside, and then Fast Track North back to airside T5, given your Silver status. However if it is crucial, in a genuine sense of the word, separate tickets and a 3 hour connection is currently no guarantee at all. You need Plan B. And perhaps C too.

Note you should stick with Flight Connections if you are under an hour or so to departure at T5 - you will get more mercy on conformance that way, and if you make conformance then usually BA will rebook you if stuck in security.
36902BRF, becks1 and dap891 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Going landside at T3 is unlikely to be a time-saver vs the airside bus.

It may or may not make sense to go landside at T5. Half the time I use "fast track" security, people are being directed from the regular security queues to the machines supposedly reserved for "fast track". If there is an hour wait for transfer security, you're unlikely to breeze through Fast Track North anyhow. (First Wing could be a different matter)

If it's "crucial" to make your BA flight, you need to take an earlier VS flight. 3 hours is daft on separate tickets.
KeaneJohn and dap891 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
3 hours and HBO should be relatively safe - if it gets 'tight' on time I'd agree with CWS, stay airside and hope BA are helpful if something goes wrong at connections.

If you outright miss it what's the plan/impact? There are a lot of degrees of 'crucial', if you need to be as certain as possible of making the flight getting to LHR the night before (and having a 'buffer' flight option as plan-B in case your first one is cancelled) would be the belt and braces approach.
dap891 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Thank you all! Very helpful.

Sounds like the recommendation is to take the airside bus rather than landside train / taxi from T3. I had just assumed that like everything else at LHR this might be a nightmare atm.

And then, at T5, sounds like better to stay in flight connections as more likely to be rebooked if missing the flight versus going landside for potentially faster security. So essentially just following the standard process and not trying any tricks.

Agreed on 3 hours not being enough to be safe! I booked this connection a few months ago when things were running more smoothly, and unfortunately I can’t change the VS reward ticket at all. So just wanting to do everything I can to mitigate the obvious risk.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:03 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Safe trip, hope it goes well. Please report back your experiences.
dap891 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:20 am

Is there same day change available on your BA ticket?

We gave up buying reward flights DEN-LHR-EDI/GLA and instead bought a separate LHR-Scotland ticket because the Denver flight was usually early with the jet stream, but BA insisted we wait 5 hours for the next Glasgow flight. So we bought singles LHR-DEN for the flight with the 5 hour wait and then used same day change once we landed to move to the earlier flight.

You might be able to do this is reverse: use SDC to move to a later flight? Get a family member to call if your flight late on Flight Radar and there is no in-flight wi-fi? (Make sure they are authorised on your BA account).
dap891 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flygod
Is there same day change available on your BA ticket?

We gave up buying reward flights DEN-LHR-EDI/GLA and instead bought a separate LHR-Scotland ticket because the Denver flight was usually early with the jet stream, but BA insisted we wait 5 hours for the next Glasgow flight. So we bought singles LHR-DEN for the flight with the 5 hour wait and then used same day change once we landed to move to the earlier flight.

You might be able to do this is reverse: use SDC to move to a later flight? Get a family member to call if your flight late on Flight Radar and there is no in-flight wi-fi? (Make sure they are authorised on your BA account).
Excellent idea about same day change.

Sadly, though, so many flights are full that it's less likely than normal that you can make the flight change you desire...
dap891 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Just to report back. Firstly - made the connection!

Inbound flight was early which was helpful. Airside transfer bus from T3 to T5 was absolutely fine - no long queue for this. Definitely better than trying to get between the terminals landside.

T5 flight connections was a mess as expected but decided just to wait as I had enough time at that point. For pure lounge maximization it might have made sense to go through the border (which was quiet) and to Fast Track North - who knows.

Thanks again all!
Old Jul 16, 2023, 5:00 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Deleted

Last edited by futuramadramallama; Jul 16, 2023 at 10:12 pm Reason: Resolved
Old Jul 16, 2023, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
In my view 1.5hr t3-t5 on separate tickets is completely unreasonable.

In my view airside is indeed better than landside though not hugely (some will disagree). Égares and renter at t5 is faster than flight connections most of the time, but it also means you scan your bp later so using connections increases the risk of being stuck at security, but if you exit and reenter you increase the risk of missing conformance.

If the AA flight is early great, but if it even slightly late , good luck to you.
futuramadramallama likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.