Soft landing for GGL partner card?

Old Jul 5, 22, 6:46 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 6
Soft landing for GGL partner card?

Hello all. May I ask is there a soft landing for GGL gifted status? I tried to search on the forum, and it seems some people soft-landed but others didn't. Would appreciate it if anybody who had their gifted status expired recently can advise.
hwqcgsw is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:54 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Posts: 934
No soft landing. If you have 0 tier point then you go to blue. If you have any tier point which you would reach a status you would fall back to that level.
Krisz is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:55 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL
Posts: 726
As per Krisz, no soft landing. However, they do seem to get status extensions.
abligh is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:55 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Posts: 636
Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
No soft landing. If you have 0 tier point then you go to blue. If you have any tier point which you would reach a status you would fall back to that level.
This is wrong. Full soft landing - BAs IT does not distinguish gifted cards from earned status? Unless this has changed recently?
noFODplease is online now  
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:56 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Posts: 934
What could play into this if you had a status before Covid then that status could be extended but we need more info when is your tier point collection ends, etc
Krisz is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:58 am
  #6  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 36,863
I thought partner cards do soft land? So gifted gold soft lands to silver, and gifted silver soft lands to bronze.

See this thread in 2019 Soft Landing
m8_rotate likes this.
KARFA is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:58 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Posts: 934
Originally Posted by noFODplease View Post
This is wrong. Full soft landing - BAs IT does not distinguish gifted cards from earned status? Unless this has changed recently?
unfortunately BA IT is capable to check this. As I said earlier what could have happened in some circumstances that someone before Covid had let say silver status and was gifted a gold. The underlying silver status kept extending and when the gold gifting status ended the person would land in silver. But that’s nothing to do with BA IT or anything else.
Krisz is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:01 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Posts: 934
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I thought partner cards do soft land? So gifted gold soft lands to silver, and gifted silver soft lands to bronze.

See this thread in 2019 Soft Landing
I think all those posts which says they were soft landing forget to mention how much tier point they have collected.
Krisz is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:02 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
What could play into this if you had a status before Covid then that status could be extended but we need more info when is your tier point collection ends, etc
I was gifted gold a few days ago (July 2022), and my tier points collection ends on Feb 2023.
Before July 2022, I was blue.
hwqcgsw is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:02 am
  #10  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 36,863
Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
I think all those posts which says they were soft landing forget to mention how much tier point they have collected.
I am not sure they did tbh. If you have to collect TPs it isn't really a soft landing. A number of people on that thread confirm soft landings for partner cards. I haven't heard anything since to suggest they no longer soft land.
KARFA is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:05 am
  #11  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 36,863
Originally Posted by hwqcgsw View Post
I was gifted gold a few days ago (July 2022), and my tier points collection ends on Feb 2023.
so if your year end is 8 Feb 2023 and you have just been gifted a gold car you should get gold for the rest of your current membership year, and one full year after. your gold card should have an expiry date of 31 March 2024 (i.e. end of first full month after your year end).

you should maintain gold until that date regardless of whether you earn any TPs in this current membership year.
KARFA is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:07 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London. Edinburgh, Cornwall
Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Posts: 7,661
Soft landings for partner cards, even with 0 tier points, confirmed.
Frequentflyer99 likes this.
ajamieson is online now  
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:09 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I thought partner cards do soft land? So gifted gold soft lands to silver, and gifted silver soft lands to bronze.

See this thread in 2019
Thanks. This is the thread I read before opening this new one, some people said they did not soft-land lol. Really confusing.
hwqcgsw is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:11 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
so if your year end is 8 Feb 2023 and you have just been gifted a gold car you should get gold for the rest of your current membership year, and one full year after. your gold card should have an expiry date of 31 March 2024 (i.e. end of first full month after your year end).

you should maintain gold until that date regardless of whether you earn any TPs in this current membership year.
After March 2024, will be silver, if I was right?
hwqcgsw is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:13 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London. Edinburgh, Cornwall
Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Posts: 7,661
To be fair, the soft landing is the only bit about partner cards I fully understand. The dates of application of the gifted status gives me a migraine.
ajamieson is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread