Soft landing for GGL partner card?

Old Jul 5, 22, 7:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hwqcgsw View Post
After March 2024, will be silver, if I was right?
yes thatís right, if you donít get the tps for gold youíll drop to silver.
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
I think all those posts which says they were soft landing forget to mention how much tier point they have collected.
Your info on this isn't correct - I have soft landed on 0 tier points during COVID.
Soft landings do happen on partner cards.
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by noFODplease View Post
Your info on this isn't correct - I have soft landed on 0 tier points during COVID.
Soft landings do happen on partner cards.
yes but what was your status before Covid. That was automatically extended.
Also gifted statuses get extended during Covid. So at the moment itís a mess and BA is not clear. Iím happy if Iím wrong on this one however I have had bad experiences gifting silver and gold cards. All my recent gifted cards only valid for a year for them.
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
yes but what was your status before Covid. That was automatically extended.
I am very aware of all the variations here - your experience may differ but soft landings definitely happen with zero tier points and no extensions, and have done for many years.
Krisz and Frequentflyer99 like this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:59 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I also can confirm soft landings happens even before COVID and with zero TP.

For quite a few years actually.
Krisz likes this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
All this is very interesting (and not what I thought). Do the soft landings happen both if:
  • Main card holder loses GGL status; or
  • Main card holder allocated gold partner card to someone else; or
  • both?
If you the second one of these is the case, you could rotate the gold card through two people and effectively have 3 silver cards (possibly more (ab)using the overlapping years).
Old Jul 5, 22, 8:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by abligh View Post
All this is very interesting (and not what I thought). Do the soft landings happen both if:
  • both?
If you the second one of these is the case, you could rotate the gold card through two people and effectively have 3 silver cards (possibly more (ab)using the overlapping years).
the fates of the giftor and giftee are not linked. if a GGL doesn't requalify they soft land to silver, this has no impact on any partner cards already given.

yes you can gift 1 gold and 2 silvers a year, so based on timing you could easily have 6 people out there at any one time who are benefiting from status you have gifted.
Old Jul 5, 22, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by abligh View Post
  • both?

You are greatly overestimating BAís IT. There is no link between the accounts once the status upgrade goes through.
Old Jul 5, 22, 8:21 am

Programs: BA GGL
Just to add confusion, prior to recent covid extensions I have never had one of my partner nominees soft-land. (Theyíve always dropped gold to blue/bronze depending on their TP earn, or silver to blue)

Maybe I should have questioned this at the timeÖ

(if itís relevant, Iíve always gifted at the ďidealĒ time for almost 24 months of status. Perhaps this makes a difference?)
Old Jul 5, 22, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Thread title is slightly misleading as it reads a GGL could gift a GGL card. Should be fine by replacing "card" with "cards".
Old Jul 5, 22, 8:54 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Like many things BA, in my experience itís a complete lottery whether a gifted card soft lands or not. I can evidence all permutations, zero TPs soft landing, other times not. Makes no difference as some thought whether an agent manually allocated the card, etc, etc. It really just seems to be part of the BA IT lottery.
SleepySynapse likes this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Pre-covid Mrs FF99 soft-landed from gifted Gold to Silver with no prior status and negligible earned TP. She has since been extended as Silver during Covid. Waiting to see whether she drops to Bronze or Blue at her year-end.

Search this Thread