Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

5 Jul : British Airways cancels a further 1,500 flights, Jul to Oct 2022

Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)

From Yahoo Finance:

"UK's flag carrier, British Airways (BA) is planning to slash hundreds of more flights for holidaymakers in July as the travel chaos intensifies.

According to the Telegraph, BA will scrap flights for up to 105,000 holidaymakers this month on popular routes ahead of the Summer holiday period.

The UK's biggest airline has told airport slot authorities that it is grounding more than 650 flights from Heathrow and Gatwick airports in an effort to avoid a repeat of June's travel chaos.

Over 76,000 seats are being axed from Heathrow and 29,400 from Gatwick on flights to more than 70 tourist hotspots including Malaga, Ibiza, Faro, Palma and Athens affected, according to reports."
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Presumably flights within 14 days are "safe" - otherwise the EU261 costs will be huge.
becks1 and jonr405 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
Presumably flights within 14 days are "safe" - otherwise the EU261 costs will be huge.
if its based on airport requesting cancellations its unlikely compensation will be due
irishguy28 and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
if its based on airport requesting cancellations its unlikely compensation will be due
According to the Guardian, BA made the decision to cancel hundreds of flights after the government's recent "slot amnesty" allowed airlines to prune schedules without forfeiting the slots. If that's the case, then I think the decision to cancel is entirely BA's.

The Guardian also says that as well as the 650 cancellations in July there will be a further 650 in August. This is turning into a miserable year for air travellers.

It seems like no time at all since the airlines and airports were demanding that the government reopen air travel, claiming "we're ready!"
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:53 am

If 650 cancellations are to be done within the month of July - say in the last two weeks - then it's about 7% of the overall programme for those two weeks based on a total daily no. of flights of about 600.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've noticed that 2 days ago a lot of domestic and shorthaul flights had the cheap buckets removed, with the lowest available being K in Traveller, D in Club, even if the aircraft was virtually empty. When this happened before they did this for about a week until they had culled the requisite number of flights, got people rebooked, and then re-enabled for wider booking.

LHR only affected, LCY and LGW not showing this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:50 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Friend had a LHR-CPH flight late July cancelled last night, so seems like there's another wave coming...
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Well they must have started had an LHR-AGP flight on the 30th of July cancelled and had to re-book to an earlier (I mean early flight that dy). Now it looks like there are only 2 AGP flights from heathrow that day - one early in the morning and one late afternoon.

Last edited by Rbdcay; Jul 5, 2022 at 7:12 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Hoping things settle down later in the year! We have
LS in Aug
BA in Sep
BA in Oct
Fingers crossed, and good luck to the rest of you. What a total shambles 2022 is being! Im amazed our 2 l/h earlier this year worked out.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
Hoping things settle down later in the year! We have
LS in Aug
BA in Sep
BA in Oct
Fingers crossed, and good luck to the rest of you. What a total shambles 2022 is being! Im amazed our 2 l/h earlier this year worked out.
I just want them to announce things as soon as possible. I'm flying JER-LHR to start a longer trip one day in August. BA are currently selling tickets on seven flights a day to LHR and one to LGW. They obviously aren't going to run all of them...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Rbdcay
Well they must have started had an LHR-AGP flight on the 30th of July cancelled and had to re-book to an earlier (I mean early flight that dy). Now it looks like there are only 2 AGP flights from heathrow that day - one early in the morning and one late afternoon.
Yes Malaga has had a haircut. Looking at Friday flights running up to mine on the 12th August and its getting snipped from 5 flights a day on the 8th July to three on the 15th and down to a couple on the 29th.
August seems unaffected currently however I would imagine it will suffer the same fate as we get nearer to the 14 day cut off window.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Very much time for a consolidated "HELP My Flight Is Cancelled" thread / wiki I'd say
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
I just want them to announce things as soon as possible. I'm flying JER-LHR to start a longer trip one day in August. BA are currently selling tickets on seven flights a day to LHR and one to LGW. They obviously aren't going to run all of them...
Yes, they have been rather generous with the LHR schedules! Our LHR is on the 0705,
that has night-stopped, so we should be safe. The other is the sole LGW, so again a likely survivor. Good luck!
Never Stansted, jlemon and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
According to Aeroroutes lots of BA cuts across the board

I suspect it’s going to be a long summer with repeated I’m stranded help please threads as well as expensive fares for those looking to get away last minute.

https://aeroroutes.com/eng/220704-bajul22lon
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
I wonder if it will affect the wet lease (AY/IB etc for BA) rotations as much as the BA mainline ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.