Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

5 Jul : British Airways cancels a further 1,500 flights, Jul to Oct 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 Jul : British Airways cancels a further 1,500 flights, Jul to Oct 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
ademanuele likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:40 pm

I haven't seen that BA are zeroing flights in advance of cancelling this time. A zero out flight genuinely seems to mean it is full and from what I hear / see flights are indeed running very busy. Things may ease over time as rebooked passengers select other flights or cancel

They cant zero out a flight to protect space for anyone else - the flight needs to be at least open in J and/or Y for it to be rebooked onto
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by sammyg901
They cant zero out a flight to protect space for anyone else - the flight needs to be at least open in J and/or Y for it to be rebooked onto
I hope I'm not wrong on this, but once I was definitely rebooked on the day to a 0'd flight. I do think - at least whilst under airport control territory here - they can put you on a 0'd flight in IRROPS; if not only as a waitlist/standby/confirmed pax.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
According to Aeroroutes lots of BA cuts across the board

I suspect it’s going to be a long summer with repeated I’m stranded help please threads as well as expensive fares for those looking to get away last minute.

https://aeroroutes.com/eng/220704-bajul22lon
Thanks for the link KeaneJohn. Effectively a 25% cut in two of my most regular airports (NCL and FRA), which if you’re flying between them via LHR massively increases the chances you’ll be affected vs a single flight. Sigh.

At least Basel isn’t such a drastic cut - but then it’s been one of the first to lose services in the last few years anyhow, so isn’t especially well served anyhow.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Peregrine415
No wonder T5 was quiet yesterday afternoon. Security was quick and the lounge was empty.
GF lounge still seemed to be crowded, similar to what I recall from pre-covid days. Not as bad though as one of my visits a couple months ago.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
My 21/07 flight to ARN was cancelled last Friday. No big deal as I was able to re-book for the 20th. Very randomly, yestersay evening (04/07), I decided to look up the re-booked flight and noticed that it had been cancelled. This was at 20:15 (local time). I didn't receive the cancellation e-mail until shortly after 22:15. By that time, I had already tried to re-book. To make matters worse, I twice lost out on those seats at the payment screen because they had already been taken. I managed to find another suitable flight, though it was at a higher cost (the original flights were an Avios redemption).

I appreciate BA's position (not like), but do wonder why the delay in the communication. It was purely by happenstance that I checked my booking, and could have missed out. Though perhaps not necessarily so if BA were protecting seats for re-booking. At the time, I couldn't take the chance as this is a positioning flight for an AY journey to JFK and onwards with my son. Miss that and the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.

H
salut0 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by sammyg901
I haven't seen that BA are zeroing flights in advance of cancelling this time. A zero out flight genuinely seems to mean it is full and from what I hear / see flights are indeed running very busy. Things may ease over time as rebooked passengers select other flights or cancel

It looks to me as though flights are zero'd out despite not being full and despite no intention to cancel them. If you look at Edinburgh, most of the rotations are zero'd out for most of July and then suddenly in August all flights are open. It's not as if they're going to cancel 8 out 10 EDI rotations in late July, or that most of the July flights are fully booked but somehow come August, all flights are empty again.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 4:24 pm

The routes that are most affected are those where slot alleviation either applies or isn’t an issue in the first place. This means domestics are very heavily cut, and some popular European routes where they’ll struggle to rebook everyone. But needs must, they can’t just cancel willy nilly in places with no alleviation.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Confus
The routes that are most affected are those where slot alleviation either applies or isn’t an issue in the first place. This means domestics are very heavily cut, and some popular European routes where they’ll struggle to rebook everyone. But needs must, they can’t just cancel willy nilly in places with no alleviation.
Have domestics really been cut that much? e.g. today there was 1 out 11 LHR-EDI cancelled. Thursday has got 12/12 still scheduled to run.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by s1362083
Have domestics really been cut that much? e.g. today there was 1 out 11 LHR-EDI cancelled. Thursday has got 12/12 still scheduled to run.
Do you remember that song by The Carpenters?
alex67500 and squawk like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by s1362083
It looks to me as though flights are zero'd out despite not being full and despite no intention to cancel them. If you look at Edinburgh, most of the rotations are zero'd out for most of July and then suddenly in August all flights are open. It's not as if they're going to cancel 8 out 10 EDI rotations in late July, or that most of the July flights are fully booked but somehow come August, all flights are empty again.
I can't say I've looked at every route 😆

was something I noticed a lot during COVID but haven't this time. Certainly my 3x cancellations (Spain) were there and then they weren't!
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
"A kiss for luck and we're on our way...."
Or not!
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Calling occupants of transatlantic craft?
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
According to Aeroroutes lots of BA cuts across the board

I suspect it’s going to be a long summer with repeated I’m stranded help please threads as well as expensive fares for those looking to get away last minute.

https://aeroroutes.com/eng/220704-bajul22lon
This list was based on schedule filing for the week of 27JUN22 - 01JUL22, therefore expect a new, possibly expanded list next week after BA completes schedule update that reflects Tuesday's announcement. Also for the leased IB aircraft, information is sourced from OAG, identical to schedule listing in booking system and BA website, but you know with short-haul routes, anything is possible.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
We've only just begun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.