so so confused by BA check in seating

Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
so so confused by BA check in seating

Viewing the second leg of my wife and daughter's trip LHR DFW on BA 380 (first leg under airport control and not permitted to choose a seat from 3 days prior to departure)...I originally viewed 5 seats in WT+ for purchase on the second leg. I have been waiting for 24 hours prior to choose without charge. I now have returned and am presented with seats for purchase in CW for the second leg for between $118 and $155 per seat on upper and lower decks but no seats in WT+. Clarifications much appreciated at this point. I am a confused not so young man.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you are seeing a CW cabin that sounds like an upgrade.

I think free seat selection only appears when olci opens, and before then it is paid for unless the passengers on the booking have status.
crazyarmadillo and Jimmie76 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:22 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by testycal
Viewing the second leg of my wife and daughter's trip LHR DFW on BA 380 (first leg under airport control and not permitted to choose a seat from 3 days prior to departure)...I originally viewed 5 seats in WT+ for purchase on the second leg. I have been waiting for 24 hours prior to choose without charge. I now have returned and am presented with seats for purchase in CW for the second leg for between $118 and $155 per seat on upper and lower decks but no seats in WT+. Clarifications much appreciated at this point. I am a confused not so young man.
Sounds like good news 👍🏼
testycal and crazyarmadillo like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Figures...I am flying as a Silver quite regularly long haul and have never received an upgrade...howerever, I will take one for the team. I hope my wife and daughter enjoy the flight to DFW in business on the 380 if that is in fact what is happening and will arrive at their destination with a sunnier disposition. I assume without status I then wait to pick a seat for them unless I wish to incur the extra charge but there appears to be quite a few seats available so no need to.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Do not want to jinx this but would appreciate assistance picking a seat for them or any other advice that will make their trip more pleasant.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Prob 56 J&K, Row 50 has no windows I believe. Unless a better pair on the main deck way from the loos.

Woudl though be very odd to be upgraded so far in advance. Maybe you just booked a different fare to you thought?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DidgeryDub
Prob 56 J&K, Row 50 has no windows I believe. Unless a better pair on the main deck way from the loos.

Woudl though be very odd to be upgraded so far in advance. Maybe you just booked a different fare to you thought?
Or the wife upgraded the tickets and never let on
Mater and makin'miles like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I would avoid row 50 as the aisle seats get heavily disturbed by people en-route to the forward lavatories. I would go for 56J/K personally
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Or the wife upgraded the tickets and never let on
Ha ha...! Those so tempting email offers... hey why not upgrade for only $$$$ That is a distinct possibility.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

It is not unusual for upgrades to appear a few days ahead of departure, this tends to happen on particularly busy flights where the lower cabin has been oversold.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It is not unusual for upgrades to appear a few days ahead of departure, this tends to happen on particularly busy flights where the lower cabin has been oversold.
Didnt know that (obvs) but thats interesting, assumed they'd wait to see how many actually showed up... any bump ups I've had is always at check in or gate (and only ever on the LHR-JFK route).
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
I too was under the impression op-up's only happened after check-in closed.

I've had maybe 2 or 3 op-up's with BA and IB, all done at the gate upon boarding. One time on IB the agent rather dramatically ripped up my boarding pass without saying anything, so for a few seconds I thought I was being offloaded and denied boarding until she finally said I'd been upgraded and handed me a new boarding pass!

With Qantas upgrades would occasionally happen in the lounge, names would be called over the PA to come see staff at the service desk.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Didnt know that (obvs) but thats interesting, assumed they'd wait to see how many actually showed up... any bump ups I've had is always at check in or gate (and only ever on the LHR-JFK route).
That's certainly the most common way, the vast majority will occur just as you say. Sometimes you may even receive an email or a message in MMB telling you you have been upgraded.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:59 am

OK. I take it all back I also have been upgraded one day before my flight to jfk tomorrow. No announcement email or fanfare, just noticed nice new seat in club world suite. That's never happened before... mind you I did requalify for gold in under 6 months this year. Thanks BA.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Anecdotally, it is starting to sound like the BA process for upgrades has returned to a more predictable sort of pattern.
Whereas with DUT there seem to be a heavier emphasis on "surprise and delight" passengers who might not otherwise have experienced upgraded travel but who might be persuaded to spend on it again in the future, I get the impression that it has returned to a more regular system of tending to upgrade status passengers travelling alone. I wonder if this is a real change and if so if it was an active decision or a side-effect of some other necessary work-around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.