Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading BAH with Avios

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Upgrading BAH with Avios

I have searched and remain confused, it seems to be a perennial affliction.

Looking to book a weekend in Boston with BAH, flights are WTP but I can see 4 CW redemption seats available. Is it just a case of booking with BAH and ringing them (or someone else?) to upgrade?

I’ve searched and the avios difference is 24k each, offpeak, I assumed the cost difference would be the same but showing £150 extra each. Though tax was the same WTP and CW?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You need to book and then call to Upgrade to Club. Will be circa £150-200 per person. It’s “fees” not taxes and is pretty steep especially for the east coast

Last edited by mikeyfly; Jul 3, 2022 at 10:36 am
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
I did somethibg similar earlier in the week. Had already got the booking and then called to do the avios part.
Making the call at the magic time of 1430 meant I was through in about 15mins. I explained what I wanted to do (2 x WT to WTP in my case) and she then put me on hold for about quarter of an hour while she sorted everything out as had to split the rest of my family off the booking. She had warned me it would take a while before going on hold for a long time.

They took the avios immediately and then the extra money was just added to the balance payable.

I was really impressed!
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
I have a question - who do you contact to upgrade a BAH flight using Avios? Would I need to contact BA Holidays or can the flight portion be upgraded through the standard Gold line? And is it possible to upgrade an AA leg of a BAH booking with Avios?

thanks so much!
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer
I have a question - who do you contact to upgrade a BAH flight using Avios? Would I need to contact BA Holidays or can the flight portion be upgraded through the standard Gold line? And is it possible to upgrade an AA leg of a BAH booking with Avios?

thanks so much!
You contact BAH. They are pretty knowledgeable about doing this; the advantage is that the extra fees and taxes can be added to the final price rather than being paid right away. I don't know about AA upgrades but you can ask.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Bronze :(
I upgraded my return leg of a BAH booking the other week - I actually rang the normal Silver line and pushed the options to change an existing flight and they were able to do it over the phone, I don't recall being transferred but from what i've read I could be wrong. Once through it was easy, but slow, apparently something in the avios backend system was playing up. They were able to price up the cash WT to WTP no problems but actually getting the tax/fee increase for the jump to CW took ages. The whole call took an hour to process in the end, most of it was waiting for the lady to put through the Avios part. They took payment over the phone and the increased cost of the whole trip was reflected in MMB which took about 30 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.