Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Delayed 20.30 LHR to MUC cancelled while taxing...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed 20.30 LHR to MUC cancelled while taxing...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I cannot think of any airline that currently does this. Rather more that don’t dare to mention the C word.

In the past it was different. I can remember the yearly “snowmageddon” events at LHR where you would always get an A4 leaflet telling you you’re on your own, here’s the phone number we will never answer and here’s the website to explain your rights. I don’t think they even bother to do that any more.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
This is a common issue with BA958. Twice I have been on this flight which was delayed to the extent that it could not land in MUC, because they have strict rules regarding flights arriving after midnight. The first time we were diverted to Vienna and put on an overnight bus to Munich (grim), the second time we turned around somewhere over Dusseldorf and put in an LHR hotel at 1am before flying to MUC at 6am (equally grim).

I really don't understand why BA don't bring this flight forward by at least 30 minutes, given the limited window they have to land at MUC in case of delay. I was on this flight twice last month when it landed at 23.55 after delays at Heathrow.

BA if you are reading this, please change the flight time!
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by abligh
As it's a legal obligation to inform people of their EU261 / UK261 rights, I would expect BA to comply with it. It is unsurprising given current circumstances and given BA's response to perfectly viable claims, that they don't. I don't know how that is enforced; hopefully it is some form of fine or there would be an incentive not to tell passengers of their rights. I would hope the lack of compliance with the law makes CEDR/MCOL more generous in what they are prepare to award.
Given the compensation amounts are set down in law, it is most unlikely indeed that MCOL will be "more generous", and I don't believe CEDR has binding powers to award anything, only recommend.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I cannot think of any airline that currently does this. Rather more that don’t dare to mention the C word.

In the past it was different. I can remember the yearly “snowmageddon” events at LHR where you would always get an A4 leaflet telling you you’re on your own, here’s the phone number we will never answer and here’s the website to explain your rights. I don’t think they even bother to do that any more.
I agree that the sentiment of the regulation infers that passengers should be informed of their rights, but I think the practicality is that passengers are served notice if they book on the BA website, and if they check in online. And there is no doubt a tatty A4 sheet in a broken perspex holder on a bunch of check in desks [at outstations it might have some other random airline name on it]. BA are absolutely no different in their approach here, as far as I can tell most other airlines act in exactly the same way and the EU commission are not jumping up and down to clarify that they're all doing it wrong.

You could hope that airlines would have a bunch of preprinted leaflets to hand out in the case of IRROPS like they would for landing cards, but there's the obvious issue that the airline doesn't want to bring peoples attention to their rights, and also because of the complexity of the regulation being able to ensure everyone gets the information they need without crew needing to become regulation experts and also the risk of causing false hopes and unintentional consequences is also complicated.

A leaflet wouldn't hurt, but the practicality is that it's probably better for both parties to deal with the detail offline once the incident is over.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by hartwith
I really don't understand why BA don't bring this flight forward by at least 30 minutes, given the limited window they have to land at MUC in case of delay. I was on this flight twice last month when it landed at 23.55 after delays at Heathrow.
Because they have an endless stream of available aircraft and crew available at exactly the right time, with the right slots (at both ends) to allow this.

I’m sure BA would love to be able to fly wherever they want, whenever they want, with all the resources any airline could dream of. In the real world, however……
Old May 14, 2023, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Ffs. This is now the 3rd time I have been on this cancelled flight. Tonight there was a tech issue with the plane and they didn't have enough time to fix it and get us to Munich by midnight closure, so we're now all heading to a Heathrow hotel for the night.

I reiterate what I said earlier in this thread: move this flight forward by at least 30 mins BA! I will never take this flight again whilst it's rostered at 20:30.
Old May 14, 2023, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I feel for the OP- can't have been pleasant at all.

Why was so much booked up around LHR? Were there many cancellations and, if so, why? I have had an aviation free week and feel very out of the loop
RNdouble likes this.
Old May 14, 2023, 4:45 pm

Ffs. This is now the 3rd time I have been on this cancelled flight. Tonight there was a tech issue with the plane and they didn't have enough time to fix it and get us to Munich by midnight closure, so we're now all heading to a Heathrow hotel for the night.

I reiterate what I said earlier in this thread: move this flight forward by at least 30 mins BA! I will never take this flight again whilst it's rostered at 20:30.
I hear you! It is also really fun to be on BA947 MUC - LHR as that has a scheduled departure of 07:20 formed by the aircraft that flew in as BA958 and so you usually find out about the cancellation just as you are looking to get ready for bed and your early start. You then spend time mashing the phone keypad to speak to someone out of hours at BA and argue your case for being re-booked on the likely already busy LH2470 so you can still make your meetings.
hartwith likes this.
Old May 14, 2023, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Chris_G
T5 was a refugee camp for passengers from the 4 corners of the Earth, complete with kids and babies...every hotel was booked for miles around...and the floors were uninviting hard...
I sympathize with what was a frustrating experience, but your language here is pretty dreadful. Do passengers from outside of the UK or EU not belong in an international airport? What makes them refugees and not passengers? Is there a curfew on kids and babies flying if flights get cancelled?
Old May 15, 2023, 1:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond

one might expect a substitution aircraft when starting on an aircrafts home base..
and yes, while waiting for a flight crew to appear for my BA988 (Berlin) schedules to leave at 1920, I had something similar in mind. taking the last flight of the day is a bit of a risk. and im not sure im willing to take that, If I have urgent things in the morning.
Old May 15, 2023, 2:34 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by abligh
As it's a legal obligation to inform people of their EU261 / UK261 rights, I would expect BA to comply with it. It is unsurprising given current circumstances and given BA's response to perfectly viable claims, that they don't. I don't know how that is enforced; hopefully it is some form of fine or there would be an incentive not to tell passengers of their rights. I would hope the lack of compliance with the law makes CEDR/MCOL more generous in what they are prepare to award.

As to who the leaflet handlers are then the normal answer would be "the gate staff". If disembarking the plane, I would expect the obvious solution for it to be the flight attendants (who are normally standing by the plane door not doing a lot as people disembark, and the leaflets to be kept either at the gate or on the plane (given this seems to be relatively common). But it's BA's problem to work out how it complies with the law, not ours.

The legal obligation derives specifically from the implementation of Regulation (EC) 261/2004 Art 14 into UK law (so called UK261, still in force), see para 2 below.
261 is the first message (to be dismissed) when checking in for many airlines, AY included.
stifle likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Indeed. There is no legal obligation that the informing be done by a leaflet, nor at any specific time.
Old May 15, 2023, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi
one might expect a substitution aircraft when starting on an aircrafts home base..
and yes, while waiting for a flight crew to appear for my BA988 (Berlin) schedules to leave at 1920, I had something similar in mind. taking the last flight of the day is a bit of a risk. and im not sure im willing to take that, If I have urgent things in the morning.
On these late flights that are scheduled into German airfields with their very hard edged night jet bans, an aircraft substitution would probably make no difference. Getting the new aircraft ready for flight, fuelling, catering, getting the crew to the new aircraft in time, getting a gate team and loading team and tug etc all in place, is highly unlikely to happen in time to happen in time either. Aircraft movements take some time to sort out, and an aircraft technical issue that cannot be fixed in time is only likely to be discovered during the turn round and there is never enough time in a short haul turn round for much additional engineering work to be fitted in. Aircraft are now, by and large, so reliable that substations are seldom required, when they are needed it always takes longer than you would expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.