Wiki Posts
Search

Prescription medication and security

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Prescription medication and security

I have some prescribed medication that comes in a spray bottle, meassured in grams, but larger than 100ml I would say. What is needed to get that through security? Would the NHS app be ok, or would I need a physical paper, and how would that work at airports outside the UK? Mainly I am thinking ARN at the moment, but for future reference, other countries?
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Knodde
I have some prescribed medication that comes in a spray bottle, meassured in grams, but larger than 100ml I would say. What is needed to get that through security? Would the NHS app be ok, or would I need a physical paper, and how would that work at airports outside the UK? Mainly I am thinking ARN at the moment, but for future reference, other countries?
Presumably it has the prescription label on the container? I copy of the prescription would be helpful too.
Knodde likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by kdhurst380
Presumably it has the prescription label on the container? I copy of the prescription would be helpful too.
My prescriptions are dispensed by Pharmacies 2U so there’s no paper script. It’s online. My over 100ml meds have had the label on which has been checked by security without any further questions asked. I could have shown the online request for it if necessary.

No issues at NCL or PRG either.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I travel with injections that are non X-ray. I have have a letter.

Gatwick are charming. Heathrow are consistently vile. I have raised numerous complaints.

The procedures are totally different between the airports which I find odd
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I have the lable on the box and not on the actual can. Will get my GP to send the physical prescription over by mail.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:06 pm

I would get a letter saying it is essential medication and is in a xxx ml bottle
Knodde likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it's a reasonably well known product for a well known condition (e.g. Enstilar for psoriasis) then I suspect ARN won't have a problem, it's used a lot over there. Strictly speaking you need a prescription, but I would have throught ARN would be OK with the NHS App. If you use the pharmacist that works a lot with a particular GP then depending on the systems the pharmacist can give you a print out of all your medication very easily and it looks so official that I can't see any security having a problem, it will have your NHS Number on it so it will link in with the App and your COVID jabs. That print out is used for those people who have lots of medication - some people have to consume 40, 50, 60 pills a day and the print out allows patients to make sonme sense as to what to take when. It's a bit daft just for one medicine but the pharamacist can extract the rprint out in seconds.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:39 pm

If you are on a repeat prescription you will probably get a slip in your bag when you collect it so take this with you. My Doctor says you shouldn't need anything more than that. Also depending on the destination, you are going to you may have to declare it at customs when you land or check in advance as some countries may prohibit certain medicines.
Knodde likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Your GP can give you a summary print out including main medical issues, medications and allergies . We used to use these for home visits before we all had laptops . They should not charge you for this . Alternatively a simple repeat prescription list . Occasionally we get a request for a formal letter which we can charge for .
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:19 pm

The issue here is however the volume not the prescription.

ukless each does is above 100ml ( unlikely ) the issue seems to be justification for taking over 100ml of it and for that I would believe you need a letter
Old Jul 2, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
I travel with injections that are non X-ray. I have have a letter.

Gatwick are charming. Heathrow are consistently vile. I have raised numerous complaints.

The procedures are totally different between the airports which I find odd
A Heathrow T5 security supervisor actually threatened me with arrest when I begged him to not xray a med even though the request was supported by a letter from my doctor. A nasty fellow who determined he should cower over me (a senior citizen female) and be truly aggressive. The med cost $20,000 and ruining it with xray was not my idea of a good experience at T5...fortunately, I took it straight to Boots near the side door to the CCR and the chemist was terrific. He called the manufacturer who worked with him to determine if the med had been damaged and they concluded that it probably had not been and that it was safe for me to take it during my travels. It was a truly awful experience. Other staff told me he was known for being aggressive and threatening and they apologized for his behaviour. This was pre-covid.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by kileysmom
A Heathrow T5 security supervisor actually threatened me with arrest when I begged him to not xray a med even though the request was supported by a letter from my doctor. A nasty fellow who determined he should cower over me (a senior citizen female) and be truly aggressive. The med cost $20,000 and ruining it with xray was not my idea of a good experience at T5...fortunately, I took it straight to Boots near the side door to the CCR and the chemist was terrific. He called the manufacturer who worked with him to determine if the med had been damaged and they concluded that it probably had not been and that it was safe for me to take it during my travels. It was a truly awful experience. Other staff told me he was known for being aggressive and threatening and they apologized for his behaviour. This was pre-covid.
We cary liquid medications and injections regularly for my wife. Nothing like this ever happened but should i have been advised no xray for medication x with supporting letter, i would have simply called 999 and waited for police officers to arrive at security checkpoint and follow the procedure - either you are in the right and are being denied entry unjustifiably, or they would conclude otherwise.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:59 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I did ask for his supervisor and I did suggest I would call the police but that simply inflamed him further. He was a right bully. He stated he could delay my seeing his supervisor or any police officer getting to me until after I missed my flight. Nothing I did warranted his response other than not having a British accent and being vulnerable as an elder who needed to catch a plane. As said...some of his colleagues apologized and let me know he pulls this sort of stunt regularly. This med was in a pen for injection with proper identification stamped into the plastic casing...not my own syringe or anything....nasty business. By the time this happened I had carried this med through probably a dozen different airports over a couple of years with no problem at all.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:22 pm

Programs: QF WP
Purely for my own interest, what medications can’t be xrayed?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by nancypants
Purely for my own interest, what medications can’t be xrayed?
Theoretically there is an issue with certain biologic drugs, (the drugs that end in -mab) but not at the doses used in airport X-ray machines. I am guessing that due to the cost of the drug mentioned above it is one of these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.