Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Gold Priority Reward, only £1/£0.50 available?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Miles & Smiles, Skyteam, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honours

Hi all,

Seen a few posts on this before but most people seem to be able to get the old RFS pricing after phoning back. No luck for me as yet.

Trying to book a one-way economy flight from London to Athens and after 2 call attempts, being told both times that only option is 30,000 avios plus £0.50. Apparently call centre staff got an e-mail on 19/05/22 saying this would be the only option going forward. Has anyone had any luck finding a way around it?

Like most people, I am almost out of patience with BA and honestly can't see any point keeping Gold any more!

TIA
SxMan and Calchas like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi marble35

This issue has been receiving a good deal of coverage over at Head for Points.

Not sure how directly relevant to your own specific concerns, but you may wish to take a look at this recent piece, which will in turn link you to others regarding the same subject.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...rity-reward-3/
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Miles & Smiles, Skyteam, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honours
I'm not alone! Thanks for the link.
subject2load, ENTP and alex67500 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Does this also apply to UuA? All the pricing I'm seeing on MMB is based on the £0.50 option rather than the "old" £17.50 option.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
It
is not just Gold reward pricing but also the Barclaycard upgrade voucher. If only prices at the £1/.50 rate rendering it completely worthless
Old Aug 16, 2022, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Has anyone had any further experience since May with Gold Priority Rewards? Still pricing at 1 quid rate? I was hoping to use one from Geneva to London, but may just book at one way on swiss business instead.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTmex
Has anyone had any further experience since May with Gold Priority Rewards? Still pricing at 1 quid rate? I was hoping to use one from Geneva to London, but may just book at one way on swiss business instead.
I booked in July for an August departure. I tried calling back several times and got the same answer. Only the £1.00 rate available. Given the cash price, I took it.
TTmex likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:15 am

Ok, that's a bummer. Seemed like one of the decent perks, but I'm not shelling out nearly 20000 for a one way 50 minute flight.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Indeed. So, that leaves access to the First Wing and the lounge as really the only tangible benefit!
TTmex likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by marble35
Indeed. So, that leaves access to the First Wing and the lounge as really the only tangible benefit!
V RFS inventory and LH Y exit row seats? Been a while since I was gold but that did sometimes come in useful
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This is one of the worst enhancements. So annoying.
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Not sure about much further ahead but I have not seen the "additional reward seats are available to you as a gold member" for any reward searches I've done recently.

Exit row, yes but not sure that's a big enough perk to make me loyal to BA/Oneworld in order to earn tier points.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Plus, the V-class Avios availability in ET.

The increase in Avios for RFS has been generally badly handled. I know I chirp up with the same complaint every time this is mentioned, but BA prices connecting flights based on a number of Avios per segment. When adding a sector eligible for RFS to a long-haul sector, they also add the now increased number of Avios, as if you were purchasing the 50p or £1 flight. But, then they charge you full taxes and fees for the whole combined flight end-to-end. So, charging you the increased Avios, for which you are supposed to pay reduced taxes and fees, but then adding the full taxes and fees anyway.

From London, airport fees and departure taxes are high, but inbound flights have typically much lower taxes and fees. As an example, Faro to LHR is only €21,57 in ET or €25,57 in CE. Avios rates are 11,750 ET or 20,000 CE plus 50p. Old rates were 6,500 and 12,750 plus €21.57 or €25.57, since the taxes and fees were lower than the RFS "fixed" rate. That fixed rate is now no longer available, even if you select the (now calls Avios and Cash) option closest to what the old redemption values were.

So, worst case, in CE, BA want you to pay 7,250 more Avios for a €25 decrease in cost. That's a redemption value of 0.34p per Avios. Who is going to take that?
KARFA and TTmex like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:11 am

Terrible, isn't it. What was a great perk is worthless now

Regarding the additional gold space, I'm seeing it on some routes and not others. V space seems sporadic at best.

​​​​
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
So, worst case, in CE, BA want you to pay 7,250 more Avios for a €25 decrease in cost. That's a redemption value of 0.34p per Avios. Who is going to take that?
When I was Avios rich (my peak was over 2 million when my diamond club and BA balances got merged) sometimes it was great to be able to fly for 50p one way, but it should be an option, not the default

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.