Wiki Posts
Search

Tier points on missed flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Tier points on missed flight

Hi there,

I missed my flight last night, but at the airport, through security and after check in. I was in the lounge (right next to the gate!) and the delayed flight made time back, without me realizing unfortunately.

I’ve read threads regarding tier points only being awarded on flown flights, but I wondered if it could be any different in my case given I’d checked in, and through security etc? It was a flight to achieve next tier level before my year end, so really hoping they can still be awarded.

thanks for your help
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am afraid not. I can’t see any way they would credit your flight.

Did you get rebooked?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chris_2020
Hi there,

I missed my flight last night, but at the airport, through security and after check in. I was in the lounge (right next to the gate!) and the delayed flight made time back, without me realizing unfortunately.

I’ve read threads regarding tier points only being awarded on flown flights, but I wondered if it could be any different in my case given I’d checked in, and through security etc? It was a flight to achieve next tier level before my year end, so really hoping they can still be awarded.

thanks for your help
TPs on flown flights unfortunately. At the point the flight closed and you hadn't boarded, you would have been offloaded from the flight.
Not sure whether the two week grace period would apply for achieving next tier, or whether it just applies to renewing current tier.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks both. I didn’t manage to rebook no, there wasn’t any desk open or BA staff at that point and no further flights that night. I’m now trying to call BA, fingers crossed they can help with a flight today.

Last edited by chris_2020; Jul 2, 2022 at 12:16 am
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC
I have a broadly similar issue: yesterday was due to fly EDI-LHR-JFK-SFO (40+140+140 TPs). EDI-LHR was delayed meaning I couldn’t make the JFK flight; BA rebooked me on the direct SFO flight (only option they were willing to offer) so therefore I’m down 140 TPs from my booked flights. Can I claim the additional 140 as the delay and subsequent re-route was BA’s fault?
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by TangoOneSeven
I have a broadly similar issue: yesterday was due to fly EDI-LHR-JFK-SFO (40+140+140 TPs). EDI-LHR was delayed meaning I couldn’t make the JFK flight; BA rebooked me on the direct SFO flight (only option they were willing to offer) so therefore I’m down 140 TPs from my booked flights. Can I claim the additional 140 as the delay and subsequent re-route was BA’s fault?
Yes, theoretically, if you were involuntarily rerouted (IRROps). You need to claim Original Routing Credit (ORC). You should be awarded the difference between the TP and Avios you would have got for your original flight, and the TP and Avios you actually got for the rerouted flight. In the past this normally took 7 days or so after talking to BAEC. These days, whether you actually get them in practice and how long it takes to get them is anybody's guess.

Note this is different from the OP's issue. The OP missed the flight through their own mistake. It also needs to be a reroute (roughly) on the day (IRROps) rather than you accept a changed flight itinerary in advance as I understand it.
TangoOneSeven likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Yes. Call BAEC and ask for original routing credit. You should get TP and Avios corresponding to your original booking.
TangoOneSeven and ewosel like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
The call centers are busy these days. Is there also an email address I can use as silver member?
Old Jul 24, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by abligh
Yes, theoretically, if you were involuntarily rerouted (IRROps). You need to claim Original Routing Credit (ORC). You should be awarded the difference between the TP and Avios you would have got for your original flight, and the TP and Avios you actually got for the rerouted flight. In the past this normally took 7 days or so after talking to BAEC. These days, whether you actually get them in practice and how long it takes to get them is anybody's guess.

Note this is different from the OP's issue. The OP missed the flight through their own mistake. It also needs to be a reroute (roughly) on the day (IRROps) rather than you accept a changed flight itinerary in advance as I understand it.
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Yes. Call BAEC and ask for original routing credit. You should get TP and Avios corresponding to your original booking.
Just to close out my side of this thread, and as reported in a similar thread: at this point BA will not credit the "missing" (ORC) Tier Points/Avios for my missed flights. They have stated that TPs/Avios are strictly for flights flown and that my flight change was voluntary. I'd argue that it wasn't voluntary given the re-route was due to BA's delayed flight etc. I claimed initially through the web form but then followed up with BAEC on the phone after they denied it. Took 2.5 weeks for the initial claim to be responded to/denied.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Ambassador; IHG Diamond;
Just to close out my side of this thread, and as reported in a similar thread: at this point BA will not credit the "missing" (ORC) Tier Points/Avios for my missed flights. They have stated that TPs/Avios are strictly for flights flown and that my flight change was voluntary. I'd argue that it wasn't voluntary given the re-route was due to BA's delayed flight etc. I claimed initially through the web form but then followed up with BAEC on the phone after they denied it. Took 2.5 weeks for the initial claim to be responded to/denied.
That is nonsense from BA, ORC is standard practice for this type of situation. Did you make sure to specify that it was an *involuntary reroute* that you incurred? If not, I would reply / call back and make the request again.
abligh and groenroos like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.